SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...5)Indiscreet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tvcoahran
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that the concert went "quantum <mumble> jillion miles" past ron's expectations. so good. #1 in heaven is gonna blow my brain
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigManRestless wrote:
What was up with the sound people tonight?... the whole mix seemed very muddy.

I'd have to disagree violently with that! To my ears the overall sound mix was much better than any of the other shows, making it easily the best so far. Sure there were glitches, like Ron's mic failure but they didn't matter because for once all the instruments and Russell's vocals came through loud and clear and weren't drowned out by the bass and drums.
I wonder if the sound varies a bit depending on where you stand. Propaganda did seem a bit bassy from the balcony but I saw Indiscreet from the middle of the main floor. I think there's a bit of bass boominess under the roof of the bar on the right as well. Sound-wise I'd rate the shows in the order Indiscreet (best by far), Whoofer, Kimono, Propaganda and Halfnelson.
dafom
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin Davies wrote:
I wonder if the sound varies a bit depending on where you stand.

Yes, in most places it does. The rule of thumb I've heard from clubgoing friends is that the sound will be the most balanced if you stand basically where the sound board is (makes sense). (Of course, that only applies if the sound board is back among the audience, and not, say, behind the stage.)
Andy Whelan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought this would be the most difficult album to perform live with such limited rehearsal time, and I thought overall it was magnificent - sure, there were a few mistakes, the worst of which was Ron's inaudible vocal in Under The Table With Her, as he'd been building up to it throughout the song. But fair play to them for trying to reproduce the album, and for the most part it was a great success.

I was surprised at how busy it was again - I guess punters had bought 3 tickets at the discounted price for the Kimono, Propaganda and Indiscreet gigs.

And Russell did not fail to mention his penning of Pineapple...

MiniPop

Alex MacDonald
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best of the Island album performances so far with 'Get In The Swing' being the highlight of the week for me, the place was just jumping!!!!
nightporter

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:
But.

Blah blah blah

Noisy Boy, pray tell me, how can you be enjoying the shows at all if you are putting all your concentration and energy into listening and pinpointing what went wrong with the shows? If you want flawless music, you should stay away from live performances.
And FYI, the repetition of the final verse of Looks Looks Looks is called "an artistic rearrangement of the song structure for a live performance" - it has nothing to do with your theorethical reason of an autocue breaking.
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightporter wrote:
Noisy Boy wrote:
But.

Blah blah blah

Noisy Boy, pray tell me, how can you be enjoying the shows at all if you are putting all your concentration and energy into listening and pinpointing what went wrong with the shows? If you want flawless music, you should stay away from live performances.
And FYI, the repetition of the final verse of Looks Looks Looks is called "an artistic rearrangement of the song structure for a live performance" - it has nothing to do with your theorethical reason of an autocue breaking.

It's not theoretical - I saw it happen with my eyes. Sorry. It ain't done with smoke and mirrors etc etc.

And where exactly do I say I'm not enjoying them? Please point that out to me.

I'm reviewing these gigs partly because there's enough of them that there'll be details I'll eventually forget which warrant some sort of journal, and I have a nice train ride home afterwards to collect my thoughts. Just because they're flawed in places and I'm pointing it out doesn't mean I'm having a bad time. It's the nature of the beast, and there's certainly not been any shows where I've left feeling diappointed - in fact in all cases I've had a rather splendid time, and think I'll continue to do so.

Hope you do too, in fact.
Tvcoahran
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nightporter"]
Noisy Boy wrote:
But.

I'm with nightporter. it didnt seem like a mess-up to me either. if it was though, i dont see how the entire band couldve just known to stop there & pull it off as well as they did in that part.

Does anyone know of a way i can watch the first 3 concerts?
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the 'that was totally brilliant' crew. I thought the sound was excellent throughout the performance: in my view this was the best of the shows yet.

Sure, Ron's mic being off for 'dinner at ...' was negligent on the part of the sound man (I'm having a senior moment: what is it they call the sound man/woman?!?) and, sure, it was a shame the vioinist fluffed all his cues in IA1918). But it was still totally awesome throughout.

But, as some people have pointed out, maybe it depends where you were. From about 5 rows from the stage, in the middle, it sure sounded mighty fine.

Brilliant fun
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It again was a privilege to be present at such an astounding event in such great company. All I can say is 'GET IN THE SWING

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
Ian Hampton
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just got home after the three Island shows, I am in awe of what all those guys did on stage. I wouldn't have remembered all the songs from those three albums! Far less 21! So let's not knock the odd goof. Besides, it's pretty normal in a "live" situation for much bigger acts.

I do agree though, that to my tired old ears, the whole mix (everywhere - I walked around) was bass and drum heavy. The guitars, and more importantly Ron's keys were virtually inaudible most of the time. Someone suggested to me " Why doesn't Russell or someone go walkabout to check during the soundcheck?" Sadly, an empty auditorium has vastly different acoustics to one which is heaving with sound absorbing bodies. Perhaps the mix is decided by computer these days?
If so, bring back the man with real ears!

All that said, I enjoyed every moment of every show, and like I said, congrats to everyone on stage. No worries Ron & Russ, it's getting better day by day!

Having played on two of those albums, may I offer my big respect to Jim, Marcus and the "2 Steves". Great job guys! Job done on those three! And nice guys as well! Now bring on the rest!
Oh! And Happy Birthdays!
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian I saw you in the queue on Tuesday just after getting R&R to sign my original sparks fan club membership card from 1974 which features you in the picture. I went to the Hammersmith concert in 1975 it was a sunday and I bunked off school on the monday (aged 12) to go and buy tickets for the show at lewisham odeon (didn't know where this was at the time), only to find out, for some reason it had been cancelled. If I see you again would you mind putting your autograph on the same card for me? I need to ask now, so I don't invade your privacy.

Thanks Billy

By the way I am not a stalker but three autographs are better than two!

and if anyone is reading my signed ticket post. This is for my own personal collection. But please bid for the introducing ticket! It will all go to children with leukaemia!
Alan Liddell
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been watching to all the streams or catching the mp3s on here if I cant watch the show. The gigs have been excellent so far and Indiscreet sounded great. This was always gonna be one of the more complex albums to play live and do justice too and I think they carried it off brilliantly. Looking forward to Big Beat tonight, not my favourite album but I can see it being a rocking live show.
sean's sparks thing
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: indiscreet Reply with quote

This was truly superb, everyone in the crowd really getting into a great band performing a great recording!
Top!!!
As for 'the flaws', well I guess that without them we wouldn't be able to stand it!
Quite literally!

Last edited by sean's sparks thing on Fri May 23, 2008 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
sean's sparks thing
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: big beat Reply with quote

ROCKS!!!!

Last edited by sean's sparks thing on Fri May 23, 2008 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Liddell wrote:
Looking forward to Big Beat tonight, not my favourite album but I can see it being a rocking live show.

Indeed. Just listening to it in readiness... Ron Playing
Kermit

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say that hasn't been said already? "Indiscreet" was AMAZING!!!!
From the opening of Russell singing "I am the King" going into "Hospitaliy on Parade" you could tell this was going to be an extra special show. The troops were in fine form again, singing word perfect all along with Russell and lurching into "Happy Hunting Ground". Everyone going mental to this one. The young guy next to me near the front I heard say "This is just so surreal", seeing this army of fans singing along every word to these amazing songs it surley must be. Surreal it surley was with everything to follow. Surprises galore and by the time we had "Get In The Swing" going it was truly a carnival atmosphere. I remember Radio really didn't know what to make of this song as a single when it was released because it was so different to what Sparks had released as singles in the UK at that time and although it was a minor hit I think it's strangeness alienated a lot of Sparks fans at the time that just weren't ready for that change of direction. I remember seeing Sparks perform it at the Gay Pride Open air Festival in London in the 90's and the crowd there really still just didn't get it. Great to see you there then anyway guys by the way! But tonights atmosphere brought this song to it's triumphoust best and absolutely brought the house down and was definately from where I was standing the one track that had everyone singing like they couldn't sing no more! A true result to a massive tune at last!
But then we had the gorgeous "Under The Table With Her" complete with strings. How fantastic! I'd been up to Brick Lane gallery the day before to see the set up of this song and I finally get to know it's a Koyote singing this song under the table with her!! Magic!
On top of the table is sat a pineapple on a plate too which nicely introduces Russels writing contribution. Russell why don't you wright more songs too? I'm sure you have enough to do but you do know how to put a good tune together Mr and "Pineapple" is a scorcher! You can't always blame Ron for making you hit those high notes when you wright a song that stretches your falsetto to it's very top like this one!! It was fabulous!!
"Tits" had everyone mesmerized and reminded me of when we were playing it in the Eddie earlier and I suggested we make the next album Sparks "Greatest Tits", a collection of Sparks tunes for the over 18's...what with "Tits", "Balls", "Willys", "All you ever think about is sex", "Dick Around", "Here Kitty Kitty", "Goofing Off", "Big Boy", "Fill 'er Up", "Baby Baby Can I Invade your c***", please....and plenty more....I'm sure we can get an X rated sparks album out! I wanna be on the cover of that one!!! (Just what are they putting in the water over in LA?)
Anyway, the crowd had "Harry" singing back at Russell at the top of their voices with the delerium of the drinkfest ending! Marvelous!
Then we get another treat with the quartet coming on for "It ain't 1918". Those young musicians looked so totally bewildered by what was going on around them it was priceless!
But then I was in heaven with "In The Future". My fave Sparks toon of all time . It's so totally bonkers! I always feel if this had been released as a single at the time we might have had a huge hit with it in the UK but back then we only had 2 songs from an album as singles. England wasn't ready to accept the big band stuff of "Indiscreet". At the time it would have still taken the Sparks bonkersness of "In the Future" to be a big hit. Still, I'm glad I shared that moment with Lauren & Mike from Atlanta. Special guys! And we had "Gone with the Wind" especially for you tonight as well don't you think? Lauren had her original "Indiscreet" T shirt with her from way back when for tonight but it looked like it had shrunk a little in the wash since! LOL! I hope we get to meet again someday as I know this was your last night. Going back with aching backs but smiling faces and no, Atlanta, ain't burning down tonight my sweet! Hope you made it home OK. Love ya!
Anyway, back to the concert and the brassed up "Looks Looks Looks", how fantastic? If only we had time to get Ron blacked up like on that special "Top of the Pops performance" that went missing. But hey, times are different thank God! But so special to hear this song in it's glory. When it was released as a single in the UK it was around the time that the UK was having a bit of a big band revival anyway. Manhatten Transfer were charting with "Tuxedo Junction", Winifred Shaw was having a hit with "Lullaby On Broadway" and old Glen Miller tunes were charting. It seemed the right time to take this track for Sparks to the top. We had a number 26 hit with it but still the UK just didn't get it enough to take it to the top although the reviews were fabulous.
Funny to see that Manhatten Transfer had a hit with "Who, What, When, Where, Why" in 78 in the UK, funny that being that's the lyrics of "Happy Hunting Ground"on "Indiscreet". Do Sparks know the Manhatten Transfer at all? It's always interesting to know where tangents go....
Still "Miss the Start, Miss The end" was another fitting anthemic ender and the birthday cake and all made the whole night feel like it had indeed been one hell of a birthday party! "Indiscreet" is such a challenging album with all it's different parts but tonights performance just raised it ten times higher and beyond. Yes, there were a few little glitches but that's what makes the joy of the live performance, seeing everybody just having such a great time and to hell with the glitches. If there are any DVD's at the end of all this I hope they won't be edited out.
A night of rest is well needed before we take on the rocker of "Big Beat". My ears are permanently ringing with all this but you have to suffer for your funtimes. But it's all good. Thanks again Sparks!! See you Friday!

Last edited by Kermit on Sun May 25, 2008 5:41 am; edited 2 times in total
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kermit wrote:
Then we get another treat with the quartet coming on for "It ain't 1918". Those young musicians looked so totally bewildered by what was going on around them it was priceless!

Er, no... What we got for "It Ain't 1918" was the second violinist from Philippe Tasquin's string quintet who attempted to play Mike Piggott's fiddle part. He played the opening, then missed every cue throughout the rest of the song meaning that he didn't play a single note after Russell started singing. At the end of the song, he got up, gave Russell an acutely embarassed look, and beat a hasty retreat.

'Priceless' it most certainly wasn't...
Kermit

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok MarkRae, maybe I was just totally wrapped up in the moment to see from where I was that things might have gone a bit wrong. But, God, give them a break! Put on your own spectacular and let's see it faultless! The people who mean anything to Sparks are having the time of their lives and Sparks know it! If it ain't perfect for you then I guess we won't be seeing you at the next 16 shows then??? Maybe stay at home and listen to the albums!
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kermit wrote:
Ok MarkRae, maybe I was just totally wrapped up in the moment to see from where I was that things might have gone a bit wrong. But, God, give them a break! Put on your own spectacular and let's see it faultless! The people who mean anything to Sparks are having the time of their lives and Sparks know it! If it ain't perfect for you then I guess we won't be seeing you at the next 16 shows then??? Maybe stay at home and listen to the albums!

What an incredibly strange comment!

Where did I once say that I wasn't having the time of my life? Or that I wouldn't be at any of the remaining shows? For the record, I'll be at them all...

Is that the way it is in here, then...? Is it forbidden to disagree with anyone who makes an incorrect statement in a post? You said that "the quartet" came on for "It Ain't 1918" - that is incorrect on two counts, namely that *one* member of the *quintet* came on...

It's great that you were so totally wrapped up in the moment that you could no longer tell what you (weren't) hearing and seeing, but please don't imply that those of who can tell the difference are somehow not loving it as much as you are...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: