SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...7)Introducing Sparks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Introducing Sparks Reply with quote

Just back home.

Another superb gig. The band is really getting into its stride now.

I was slightly surprised that they dropped the key on "Girls on the Brain", as it's not a particularly high song - no doubt they had their reasons...

Top song of the evening for me was "Those Mysteries" - just wonderful!

Good to hear "Alabamy Right" as I wasn't really expecting them to play that tonight. As Russell said, it's from a different era...

As usual, the crowd was wildly enthusiastic and in fine voice, even though (according to the promoter) there were less than 200 of us...

However, tomorrow night is now officially sold out. Can't wait!
rainbow
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album is, to me, one of the midsection of good. But, again, live...awesome!! Goofing off, my favourite "Forever Young" (indeed, they are!) those mysteries...I missed Big surprise, was too late on line I guess.
But the big surprise was yet to come, my prayers were answered...YESSS ALABAMY RIGHT!!! I only know this song for a year or so, and I am hooked, so I desperately wanted to hear it life and did not expect it at all, only on one of the earlier concerts. THANXXXXX Ron and Russ! You made me very happy! Ron Playing
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my family made up 3 of the "less than 200". seems like there's at least another 200 watching from the comfort of their homes!
cheeky sods on the door sell the tickets for £23.50! and none for sale for tomorrow night, so it's me on my lonesome.
as has been said, the highlights were occupation, forever young and goofing off. russell asked the audience to make sure they vote for it for the last night encore. i'm sure he could pull weight if he wanted. he really enjoyed himself and i think ron is basking in the knowledge that those old songs he'd forgotten about are really rather good still.
alabamy right was wonderful and the highlight for me.
the people in the crowd seem to be working harder and harder to make the nights memorable in view of the sparser crowds. well done to them because they are really helping to create a special atmosphere.
Andy Whelan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another great evening, albeit seemingly shorter than most of the previous ones. Those Mysteries is almost a lost classic to my mind, and was fantastic in performance. Worryingly, though, Russell looked like he was wearing my old school blazer!

The fact that it was less busy suited me fine, and does not seem to me to distract from the atmosphere at all - unless, I suppose, you're standing right at the back. I think it's an advantage that the sound guy can move forward, as the sound has been the best so far over the last two nights.

It'll no doubt be back to being packed again tomorrow, and I'm particularly looking forward to it, seeing as how this was the first Sparks stuff that I bought contemporaneously. It'll be fascinating to see how they perform the more synth-based stuff live...can't wait! No idea what the encore will be though...
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange wrote:
I don't actually own the 'Introducing' album so most of these songs were completely new to me, but gotta say - tonights show WAY surpassed my expectations! How brilliant is Goofing Off?!! So glad this is in the top ten for the encore

Me too! I've only heard the two songs off Profile, but this album blew me away. I felt chills during Those Mysteries. This may have been the best night yet from a webcast watcher perspective!
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rileyrempel wrote:

So I overheard a bit of conversation at the end of Big Beat – dude doing the streaming camera was speculating about a DVD release…mentioned that there was another camera there, but he didn’t know what was going on with it.

That was me talking to Peter the webcam guy. There is a camcorder on a tripod right at the back beside the mixing desk and two webcams hanging off the ceiling of the bar area, which are closer to the stage. More info in my post on the Big Beat forum.

On the drive in, I listened to my Introducing CD which I only bought at the Halfnelson show last week. Goofing Off sounded great on CD and it was absolutely fantastic at the show tonight (even without the fiddle). There were fewer people tonight, so I was closer to the front than at any of the other shows and lots of people had room to bounce around. Those Mysteries was great too. Nice crooning Russell. Nice to hear Alabamy Right again too.

I still felt that the keyboards were too low in the mix again though. I was particularly mesmerised by the album cover spinning around in various shapes and backgrounds tonight.
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK where do I start? I bought tickets for 7 gigs Woofer, propa, indi,intro,No.1 ,terminal and Plag. Knowing that due to work I couldn't do Half, kimono and Big. Then I am told I had already agreed to DJ at a 50th birthday party for one of the regulars, in the pub I work in twice a week, on the night of Intro! So reluctantly I missed Intro. Then it turns out that on the night of NO.1, which is a night I always Work but was willing to give, up that night (sunday) in the Bell Leytonstone, an old friend of mine is holding his leaving do,before he goes to Australia to live, DOH! And Tuesday (terminal) is my sons wifes birthday 25 and we are all going to dinner that night (somebody kill me now). But let me say, I watched Big Beat in the Bell on Mary's( Boss) laptop and also very cheekily(spell) watched Intro whilst working a private do(I feel so guilty,not!) and Mary has already told me I can start my quiz on sunday,late, after the Live stream that I will watch on her laptop(love her). But can I say as much as I enjoyed those streams whilst being paid,I would have rather lost the wages and been with you guys, that I have been with at the other gigs. Don't get me wrong, it was great still singing along, but with headphones and everyone else listening to something else(that I am playing) it didn't do it for me. I have discussed this with my wife and we came to the conclusion. The moneys good but the concerts are one offs, I should have been there last night and tonight! This is now lost forever. But on a positve note I had a great singalong on Friday and Saturday,be it quietly. Roll on Plagiarism! The Moral is, we are only here once, and money is not always the best reward! If I could turn back the clock I would be one of you gold ticket holders. (GUTTED)
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway now I got that off my chest! Introducing reminds me of a row I had with my then girlfriend Linda, we went on a sponsored walk from school. She was a year above me and told me quite simply I couldn't walk with her (mind you that was after I turned up an hour late) anyway I walked the course with another girl from her year and we had a great laugh going round on this walk,passing linda every now and again. Later that night she rang me and packed me in (dumped) for walking with this other girl,anyway I am waffleling(spell). I bought Introducing the day before and didn't get a chance to listen to it. Well after the dear John (which was later recinded) I spent the rest of that sunday listening to R&R, then thought murder was'nt the answer and put introducing on, It blew me away (just like the other R&R might have done). It's a special album to me, which makes me all the more bitter for not being there tonight! You lucky B######s
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way it's 4.30 in the morning and I am p.....d so Linda can't sue me! Can she?

Great Concert Guys!
rileyrempel
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjadey wrote:

That was me talking to Peter the webcam guy. There is a camcorder on a tripod right at the back beside the mixing desk and two webcams hanging off the ceiling of the bar area, which are closer to the stage. More info in my post on the Big Beat forum.

Aha - I missed that post. Sounds like there could be a DVD in the works. I really hope so. I've never seen them live, but there have to be a lot of songs in there that an audience hasn't seen until now.
hannu a peltoniemi
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: introducing sparks Reply with quote

Introducing album really works in this live concert. Great
highlights was "Goofing off", "Those Mysteries" and "Ladies".
phonon
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!I love Introducing dearly. It was one of the few LPs I owned back in 70's, and in USSR you couldnt just go and buy one, you had to "get" one.

I enjoyed yesterday's live show so much, despite of starts and stops and poor Internet connection.

When Goofing Off came to the end I was in such a state that I thought 'It can't get ever better, now I can just die a happy woman '/ Obviously my internet connection was feeling the same cause it promptly died

So I missed the first half of Girls on the Brain, yet another song i like so much!

And I'm glad I voted for Goofing Off as the Ultimate Anchore!
This wonderful spoken intro indicates that maybe Sparks recognized (yes, at last!) what a gem they created and how suited it is for performing live!
BigManRestless
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple post:

Best. One.

(So far)

AWESOME!
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad to have missed this one. But I couldn't justify this or Big Beat to myself on top of the others I'm seeing. But I'm vindicated to hear that Russell's asked for everyone to vote for Goofing Off for the final concert (which I voted for!), so I'll see it performed there, I hope.

On top of that, I ended up going to bed at 7pm with a fever last night and I'm going to have to take it easy in preparation for tonight...
Stephen
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to streaming problems I missed the first one the more than half of Woofer.But having seen the rest I have to say Introducing has been the best so far.The guitar work was incredible.It sounded more like Big Beat.I've always loved this album and to hear it presented live and in a fresh different way was wonderful.
In the latest Record Collector Ron stated that the songs on Introducing were strong but the playing and production weak.I don't agree.I love the production.But I feel Ron will be very happy with the way it sounded last night.
Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell, in particular, is becoming more intimate with the audience during these gigs than I've ever seen him before. I loved the bit at the end where Ron came forward to be appreciated. The crowd started the usual "Ron! Ron!" chant, feet stamping, and, behind him, Russell started yawning.
TommyGun
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dont punch me but i think this was the weakest show so far(in that context it means - it was very very very good...but the other ones were just better).. im not sure why though, maybe because the songs are not their best ones maybe because in my ears the sound was a bit thin..

BUT

if you'd asked me which song, played on all the concerts was the best, it would be Goofing Off!
Alabamy Right was also a brilliant choice lets hope for Marry Me at the following shows
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great gig again last night. Loved Goofing Off - gotta be heard again on the last night, Ladies, Girls On The Brain, Big Surprise. Heck, all of them!!!!! Great to hear Russell speaking more on stage. What was he whispering about at the end into the mike???
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great show! I enjoyed this even more than the Indiscreet gig, partly because the atmosphere was even more charged. There's not a bad track on Introducing, and all of them benefit from the beefed up live sound - especially Over The Summer and Girls On The Brain. Why has Goofing Off been so neglected up until recently!?! Surely it's got to be a permanent fixture in their live shows after this tour?
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cynics declared this was always going to be rubbish - a duff album meant for a largely ungrateful US market, ushering the first of the flat nights. Typically, Sparks proved them entirely wrong.

A superb concert this was indeed and although the legions of fans did not quite stretch to the exit, their spirits were as high as Russell's vocal range. As an album fronted by a cringeworthy dated idol photo, and containing some sugary songs to hook 70s American teenage girls, it was quite startling to hear it enlived by an vibrant contingent of virtuoso rock musicians. Of course, the oddities "Goofing Off" and "Nothing to Do" went down like a thunderstorm with the audience, which was becoming increasing vertically mobile in places.

Apparently some fans there had never heard this album. As I sluggishly exiting the building, I noticed that there was not a single copy of "Introducing" remaining on the counter. Says it all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: