SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...10)Whomp That Sucker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennui
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aled wrote:
Really loving this, Whomp is one of my favourites, Where's My Girl was amazing.

yes it standed out completly - the song came out so great live

this deserves a : (and i doen't use that image often)
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micke wrote:
Rolling Stone produced this review in 1981

(Posted: Oct 29, 1981 - in the dawn of the internet... ;)

I laughed out loud at this:

"One can almost picture the Maels at home: Russell, in his bedroom, preens for a hot date, while Ron, downstairs, crabbily reclines in a naugahyde easy chair and thinks up awkward situations to put to music."
Doefie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great performance from start to finish. Not an easy one to sing if you ask me, but Russell was fantastic. To be honest, "Whomp" is not an album that I used to listen to very often, but that will change after tonight!
sparksfanlm
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

straightlookingenie wrote:

I laughed out loud at this:

"One can almost picture the Maels at home: Russell, in his bedroom, preens for a hot date, while Ron, downstairs, crabbily reclines in a naugahyde easy chair and thinks up awkward situations to put to music."

Lol, same here, you really can picture that scene.
Ennui
Certified Fan

lilywearsmoschino wrote:
What are we at now - 10 shows? Where on earth does he get his energy!!! I'm out of breath just watching him. Puts some of those young 'uns to shame.

Yes, I often think of that when I listen to him singing: "how can anyone sing like that without exploding?", but when watching him at stage doing it, it seems like it is the easiest way and he shows no heartattack signs what so ever. I just can't get it togheter... Russel is a puzzle.
jidlomonster
Fan-in-Training

Whomp That Sucker - always has been and probably always will be my least favourite Sparks album. It only gets going toward the end of side 1 and I'd be quite happy if side 2 had never seen the light of day. Even so, I enjoyed this one just because the performances were so committed and - at least for some of the songs - the balance was better than usual. The exchanges between keyboard and guitar in Tips for Teens were just right, but where did the guitar solo escape to in I Married a Martian?
The crowd had a whale of a time and I hope the atmosphere is just as good when I'm in London for Angst on Friday.

Just rejoined the fan club on the strength of these shows. Never intended to leave it, but nobody told me my sub was due....
Tvcoahran
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyGun wrote:
Tvcoahran wrote:

...but they did mess up THATS NOT NASTASSIA.

what was wrong with it?

Its got that part towards the end with heavy piano line & weird timing when the vocals come back in. maybe they just simplified it for the show, but they seemed a bit lost & struggling to get back to the 4/4 parts
Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanbloodytastic, IMO.
Russell's greatest performance so far in these gigs.
WTS is an incredibly strenuous album for a vocalist. I've known Russell use his falsetto when the tenor notes are too high for live vocals, but in most cases tonight he was right up there, loud and true.
Apropos of nothing: I noticed recorded backing vocals during one or two songs, and a keyboard phrase or two, which is the first time I've spotted any in these gigs.
It was a triumph all-in-all.
Perhaps people will re-assess this album now? Hope so.
rileyrempel
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I have to say that
Hello everybody, this is Russell - Right before I sing I'm going to make a muscle
is one of the best lines in pop music.
Great performance tonight. Nastassia is my favorite song on the album, and it was my favorite live too. I didn't think they messed up - just shortened it a bit, but it's hard to tell with the audio on the stream.
Speaking of the stream, the visuals froze for a bit on a close up of Ron, but it took me a good 15 seconds to realize it! He doesn't move around much, does he?
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No complaints tonight. Thanks Mr Soundman . And what a terrific performance.......

MiniPop

My favourite so far, and I wasnt even there tonight..........

THANK YOU EVERYONE

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back home.

Wow! How good was that! Probably my favourite of the shows so far...

WTS is definitely my favourite Sparks album after the first five, so I made sure I got there in plenty of time to get right to the front. Fantastic performance, fantastic atmosphere.

Highlight for me was Don't Shoot Me - I just love that song.

Someone mentioned pre-recorded vocals and keyboard parts - I didn't notice those though, at times, all four of the "backing" band were doing backing vocals...

Someone else mentioned that they messed up the end of That's Not Nastassia - it seemed to me that they slightly simplified it deliberately, but Ron was definitely doing the minor third descending keyboard runs...

Top stuff! A night off, then Angst - can't wait!
Thermaland
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RODDON wrote:
Really expected Ron to come out in boxer's shorts and gown tonight - not to be however. What price a bride's dress on Friday? But he was still, er....well.....Ron.

Not so much actually! He was quite cheerful and smiley for whole periods of time. Weiiird.

This was my 3rd show of this run after AWITC and Propaganda and I was a bit shocked (for Sparks) and happy (for me) to find the place not even half-full at 8:30. This thing is running out of steam a bit, audience-wise. It filled up a bit more by the time they started, but still. (However I kicked myself for not taking my camera on the grounds that I'd be stuck at the back again: I got near the front without difficulties. Doh!)

Fantastic show anyway, and it was great to have a good view (I'm pretty short). Sounded really good too! WTS is by far my favourite of that era, and Russel's voice was amazing as ever.

sparksfanlm wrote:
Lol, I thought one of them would come out wearing boxing gloves or something to. What was Russell's story behind "That's Not Nastassia"?

Giorgio Moroder introduced them to Nastassia Kinski and Ron liked her name but the song has nothing to do with her, allegedly, according to what they say.
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice any mistakes but then I was too high on the sound quality which was a HUGE improvement on last night (apart from a bit of bass boominess when Ron changed to the other keyboard). Russell was really on fire tonight. What a GREAT show. For me it's in the top 3 with Indiscreet and Introducing Sparks.
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setlist:

Tips For Teens
Funny Face
Where’s My Girl
Upstairs
I Married A Martian
The Willys
Don’t Shoot Me
Suzie Safety
That’s Not Nastassia
Wacky Women

Get Crazy

Band:
Ron
Russell
Steve MacDonald (Bass, some backing vocals)
Steve Nistor (Drums, some backing vocals)
Jim Wilson (Guitar, backing vocals)
Marcus Blake (Guitar, backing vocals, Guitar)

Support:
Rumble Strips

Absolutely awesome. I was slightly unsure of how this one would go, with the sparse attendance last night, and Russell’s reticence about the 80s, but to be honest there were many reasons why this was up there with the best. One is that the sound was the BEST I’ve heard at any of the gigs so far, apart from Number One In Heaven – the guitars were upfront, the synths popped through at the right point, Steve N had the drum sound down pat, and the whole thing was very faithful to the album. When they came out and simply TORE through Tips For Teens, I was absolutely enthused! The whole album is a real favourite of mine and Upstairs (one of my most played Sparks obscurities) was impeccable. It was also great to be surrounded with an audience who were totally up for it, joining in on all the call and response on Funny Face and Upstairs.

It’s also great to see Steve MacDonald back for the ‘Gleaming Spires/ Bates Motel’ lineup albums (I hope), as having Marcus on second guitar adds an extra punch that was absent for the last two albums (and maybe Introducing? I missed that). He’s also a far more energetic and expressive individual that Marcus or Jim Wilson and it always cheers me up to just watch him for a bit.

I thought things went off the boil slightly for Susie Safety (never one of my favourites), but came right back in for the last two tracks on the album. Following an convoluted monologue from Russell concerning Giorgio Moroder and his friend Nastassja Kinski, they really nailed that in the same key as the original (my one contender for a song they’d change key for). Absolutely magnificent. Same for Wacky Women, which was a lot of fun, and again lots of crowd replies on the ‘Medic! Medic!’ bit.

The encore was chronologically slightly out (according to Wikipedia, the film, starring Malcolm McDowell, Allen Garfield, Daniel Stern, and Ed Begley, Jr. came out on 1983), and was never their best song (I would've preferred a cover of Are You Ready For The Sex Girls), but it certainly looked like Russell was surprised at how well known it was, and I was impressed with the amount of people who were singing along (It’s on The Hell Collection compilation, should you wish to track it down). So, my final night until next week, and as much as I love these guys, I’ll be happy to come home straight from work tomorrow instead of hanging round Angel until 7pm then hanging round the Academy for three hours; I’m getting jolly sick of the place.

P.S. Rumble Strips are a band many people have suggested to me as a recommendation based on my Dexys fanaticism (which matches my Sparks loyalty),and they weren’t bad. But, as I see it, why do we need another Dexys when we’ve got one who do the same job ten times better already? Expect a new Dexys album very soon…

P.P.S. Is it me, or did Russell seem to be a bit pissed off when someone shouted out 'WHY NOT?' in response to his tale about not touring the album in the UK?

MarkRae wrote:

Someone else mentioned that they messed up the end of That's Not Nastassia - it seemed to me that they slightly simplified it deliberately, but Ron was definitely doing the minor third descending keyboard runs...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they probably had a 'do what you like' moment! It was pretty cool though!
Joan of Arc
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please anyone who is at any of the concerts don't be afraid to recount the inter-tune spoken bits for the army of streamers. The sound has been of variable quality (tonight's was excellent though!) but I can only hear about one word in five of the - obviously hilarious - speeches in between the songs
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:
Following an convoluted monologue from Russell concerning Giorgio Moroder and his friend Nastassja Kinski, they really nailed that in the same key as the original (my one contender for a song they’d change key for).

The only songs where they have lowered the key (so far) are Equator (from Am to F#m) and Girls On The Brain (from E to D). Equator I could understand, but GotB really surprised me...
Thermaland
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he went on quite a bit about how Sparks didn't tour the UK much in that whole era because they were busy in LA so they are grateful for people to come to those particular shows etc... He said that the encore song was from "a really lame film of that time". And he introduced Ron as "the man who wanted to have a song called That's Not Nastassia".

The whole thing with That's Not Nastassia is that he started by explaining how Moroder had been important in their career etc... and then when he said that the man liked to hang out with young people there was cheeky-to-uncharitable laughter in the audience so he tried to retell the story from the top without any ambiguous phrases....

(It suddenly hits me that I understood pretty much everything he was saying tonight, whereas at previous shows I attended I barely made out a word of it. So perhaps they did indeed sort the sound spectacularly. Or is it rather because the crowd was thinner?)

Oh, and the Windows screensaver-type animations on the screen are getting increasingly disturbing up there! Red and green waves coming out of Ron's emaciated ribs anyone?
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, great show - up there with the best, and no discernable sound problems.

Where's My Girl, Whacky Women, Nastassia, Don't Shoot Me, not a duff song among the whole lot. Only Suzie Safety seemed to slip in intensity a little. It was a really taut performance. Almost perfect.

I almost didn't go to this show, but so glad I did. I haven't played this album in years, but found I knew all the words (engrained in my subconscious from when I was a spotty 15 year old, back in '81!) and merrily danced and bellowed the set away!
fatherjack
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed every last drop.

If there were 8 or 8,000 people in the place there is such a feeling of love for the boys it should come through.

Great album. even the weak ones were sooo good due to the band being tight.

As for the bitching regarding backing tapes etc. BU*****T!

"This band is tight, and they can rock all night".

Thank you Diamond Dave for that line.........DLR Band.

I can see everything from my 5'2" (apart from the packed ones), it may not come out so well on the streaming (waddya want for nuthing? who else would do this???????????). However there is so much joy and effort going into every performance that may not be coming across.

Boys, I loved every minute tonight.
If you can make "The Willy's" rock (Yes Russell, we do know what it means...).
Then my previous doubts about the "lesser" albums may be diminished.

TTFN.

"Yes, that would be an ecumenical matter"

MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:
Is it me, or did Russell seem to be a bit pissed off when someone shouted out 'WHY NOT?' in response to his tale about not touring the album in the UK?

It seemed to me that he was playing at being offended - I certainly didn't get the impression that he was genuinely pissed off...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: