SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21 x 21 - how are you bearing up?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigManRestless
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: 21 x 21 - how are you bearing up? Reply with quote

I am loving this month but I'm starting to feel the strain of all these late (ish) nights.

I've taken tomorrow off work to try and recover a bit before the weekend.

How is everyone else doing? Any good tips for pacing myself?
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I was discussing this last night- even though I missed Big Beat & Introducing, I've still come down with a nasty cold (right over bank holiday weekend) and my friend has a sore throat. But I'm over the hump now and only have four (possibly five) more shows to go, whereas you lucky 21x21 ticket holders still have 12 gigs left!

I suppose surrounding yourself with that many people that often will have an adverse effect on your health as much as stepping out into the cold, and the late nights after the gig.
veryoldfan
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing OK - very tired but happily so - until today. Right now I feel quite ill and am really hoping that it isn't going to keep me away from the gig tonight.
Might have picked something up from all these nights in a small space with lots of other people, or it might just be cumulative tiredness/reaction to unaccustomed patterns of adrenaline, don't know.
Luckily I have the day off tomorrow too.
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got my golden ticket and intend to see every show. i came down with a stomach bug after big beat (i think) and suffered the next day. luckily it was a day off sparks too.
in a way i wasn't looking forward to last night. terminal jive is far from my favourite album and wasn't one i was going to sing every word to. however, there is a real joy in hearing a relatively unknown album being played live. i listened to the album on the way to the show and it was brilliant to then hear it live. heck, i'm even looking forward to interior design now!
but back to the original question - it is tough fitting work around sparks!
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing fine, though I have the incredible good fortune to live just up the road.

That and being self-employed... :-)

Really looking forward to tonight. WTS is my favourite 80s Sparks album...
Thermaland
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mine as well. I really hope for a bout of boxing onstage!

I am bearing up well, mainly due to erm, only going to 4 shows altogether. We can't all be hardcore.
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Golden Ticketer and I've done them all so far. The only problem I've had is aching knees from standing for longer than I'm used to.
Think I'm getting used to it though and I hope all of us (especially the band of course) stay healthy enough for the full distance.
Charlie Bucket
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im handling it better than my bank manager :)
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NB. Can I blame you for infecting me with the sore throat/cold thingie I now have? Apart from that and the long road trips I'm doing very well.
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eve wrote:
NB. Can I blame you for infecting me with the sore throat/cold thingie I now have?

Heh, might as well! Good job we're not in the film Outbreak...
barnacles
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fellow sufferer of the sparks bug. I'm going to all 21 and really came down over the weekend. Voice went completely by Monday, doctor's Tuesday to be told I had Bronchitis and to have complete rest (fat chance) so no drinking with the anticbiotics now which may be a blessing in disguise. Looking forward to the night off tonight to recover.
How can you not cheer your head off though? Especially with gigs as good as Whomp
loz
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My!
What a bunch of wimps!

Consider the band - they're all in the same place too and doing soundchecks/rehearsals in the afternoons before the shows. No sign of them flagging and they probably have a few years on most of you!
(Hope that isn't the kiss of death for Russell's throat!)
STEViE
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me – so far so good – on the gig days I only have to work 4 hours (took a half day holiday on the weekday gigs) and it is just over 9 hours from leaving home to get to the concert, to getting get back through the front door. Of course – then I cant sleep cos I have had such a great night, every concert has surpassed my high expectations!

The only day I had trouble with was with Whomp as I had to do a full day – very early start to get the hours in, then leave for the gig, and on my way to the bus I got drenched, so until I got to the pub in London, I was not a happy bunny.

Where I work, the factory moves next Friday (6th) so I might have to do the same then – I work doing artwork in the studio of a printing company – and will have to set up all the computers/network/plate-maker etc. on that day and over the weekend, but that wont stop me either! In fact, my work mates were all saying by the evening of indiscreet I would be out of it, so it has been great to prove them wrong!

I am more worried about being at a lost to do once the 14th June is here – been an adventure for me. I count myself incredibly lucky to have been able to get a golden ticket.

Here’s to the remaining 11 gigs! Hopefully the hay-fever and chest wont interfere.
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking loz... I keep worrying Ron and particularly Russell might be doing irreparable damage to their health with the physical strain of these 21 nights. I myself am utterly wrecked. I've had to contend with getting flights back and forward from Dublin to London and staying in the cheapest hostels I can find. I'm officially broke and although I don't have enough money to buy food, I say screw food, I've got my Lil' Beethoven and Hello Young Lovers tickets!
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loz
it's probably a man-thing!
rwolf'68
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~Been taking my vitamins every day and trying to eat healthy and not drink too much, which isn't that hard for me. Lots of walking during the day and then standing for hours is a drag, but well worth it to see the gigs from the front row!! I'm in heaven!! ~The screaming hasn't hurt my vocal cords yet either. Must be the tea!
Hornetpinata
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Golden Ticketers are amazing! Does anyone know how many there are in all?

Mike
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Is Lingering wrote:
staying in the cheapest hostels I can find.

Surely some kind soul on here could have offered you a sofa...?
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornetpinata wrote:
You Golden Ticketers are amazing! Does anyone know how many there are in all?

Just over 100, I'm reliably informed...
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
Lady Is Lingering wrote:
staying in the cheapest hostels I can find.

Surely some kind soul on here could have offered you a sofa...?

Ah, unfortunately MarkRae, I didn't know any of the kind souls that populate this lil' Sparkonian corner of cyberspace. But, I'm not complaining, or if I was it wasn't very seriously. Complaining about all you've to go through to see a Sparks' gig is like complaining that the bag of gold someone has given you is too heavy. I just wished I lived in London... boo hoo A golden ticket costs a lot less that a lots of return flights, hostels and 6 concert tickets. The one I'm most bitter about missing so far is 'Introducing Sparks' I watched it on the live stream and it blew me away. I'm going to bitter all over again tomorrow when 'Angst in my Pants' kicks off. God, I am a moan, aren't I? Well, I won't be when I'm bouncing up and down to 'My Baby's taking Me Home', 'Dick Around' etc. etc.

Yaaahh! Ron Playing I'll be the banana up front wearing a cape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: