SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...11)Angst In My Pants
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rileyrempel
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I missed the story about Minnie Mouse too.
Well, I actually don't have a favorite song on this album, but I do have a favorite line: "Gee, I'm sorry about the thermometer, nurse..."
As for my favorite tonight...I thought Monster of Love sounded great - Russell hammed it up a lot more than he did on the album. Minnie Mouse sounded waaay better than I thought it would in a live situation - surprising. The energy level on stage was really incredible. They should get Red Bull to sponsor their next tour, I think. I'd buy it.
rainbow
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was Great Again. It rocked and had diversity of vocals...my God what a elastic vocal chords!! Unbelievable, cannot get enough of it (them).
Very good album, too, and live it really has got an extra dimension. I am still amazed of the enormous energy and passion of this event, and the chance we get as Sparks fans to take part of it!! The encore, Minnie, was a real surprise....heaven! THANXXXX again, great, genius guys!
Ron Playing
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RODDON wrote:
but live it just had that extra dimension.

Ill never be able to listen to these songs in the same light again - its like listening to a whole new batch of Sparks material. Theres so much energy and enthusiasm that just wasnt there for me before. Im speechless again, and just wishing Id been there tonight. Great sound and performances again, cant single anyone out tonight (except Steve's bass might have just edged it). At the risk of being bottled next Tuesday, dare I be the first to suggest that this might be the best ever Sparks line up ?

MiniPop

BTW Krisrtian almost exactly the same history as me....Damn punk rock ha ha

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back home.

Another cracking gig! Great to see so many people there - almost 400, they said. There should be a similar number for tomorrow but, alas, not for Sunday it being a school night...

Excellent performance by the band. Of course, the songs are getting progressively less difficult to play (if not to sing!), but nevertheless they really are a tight unit now. My favourite of the evening was probably EBTMOL.

AIMP isn't one of my favourite Sparks albums (which, as with others, doesn't mean that I dislike it), but they really brought it to life.

Can't wait for tomorrow!
Tvcoahran
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st exposure to sparks was when my friend made me a mix tape that had AMATEUR HOUR and MICKEY MOUSE on it. i thought they had a girl singer. because of that though, MICKEY MOUSE holds a special place for me and seeing them play it live was amazing. russell going wild.

I had never heard MINNIE MOUSE before tonite either. The squeaking keyboard voice made me freak out. i also missed the banter from russell about disney though. can somebody type it out for me & the other streamers?
lauraleeandme
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell said that after Mickey Mouse was released they started getting much flak from Disney (collective boo from the audience...) until the song began to get much airplay, at which point Disney decided that it was good advertisement for their theme park and asked Sparks to write a similar song: (in a really dumb voice) "Gee, guys, can you do another song like that, say like Minnie Mouse?". Russell said that, being cheap, they agreed and came up with the song.

Really great concert. I didn't know all the songs (shame on me, I know...) but the album works amazingly well and the energy that the previous posts talked about was palpable. Ron's tribute to Russell's vocals was really touching...
sparksfanlm
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMonte wrote:
And Ron - what a gracious thing he said - that Russell's vocals are topping the original recordings. He seemed very proud of his baby brother! I thought that was a great moment.

Yeah, it was very touching. Russell's live vocals definitely have been better than the original recordings. He's like a fine wine, gets better with age, lol.

I thought "Sherlock Holmes" was stunning, what a wonderful song.

Bravo Ron and Russell. Ron Playing
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lauraleeandme wrote:
Ron's tribute to Russell's vocals was really touching...

Yes it was, and 100% accurate.

The way Russell has taken care of his voice (presumably) has meant that after performing 11 albums in their entirety they have dropped the key for only two (count 'em!) songs...
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the high of Whomp the sound was a let-down again.
Ron's keyboards virtually inaudible until the encore.
WHY??????!!!!
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin Davies wrote:
After the high of Whomp the sound was a let-down again. Ron's keyboards virtually inaudible until the encore.

Sounded great to me. Where were you standing...?
lost&found
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Just back after the best night out since, er ...... Woofer! That was just fab! And since this isn't one of my fave albums, what a surprise it was - just as Whomp was - Russell's vocal gymnastics surpassed all expectations. Quite incredible. The gigs now really have a party atmosphere - it's such fun - especially as the band seem to be having such fun themselves. Did I raise both my hands and clap em? I most surely did!
nickmellish
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here: it sounded fine to me.

Tonight was my first gig 'in the flesh', so to speak, and it was amazing. I adore Angst anyway, so it was always going to be a winner, but live, it was able to shed some of its more unsavoury eighties elements and become something really, really stunning. A sign, perhaps, that a remixed/remastered CD could be stunning?

Certainly, it makes me more optimistic now about Interior Design, which could potentially improve tenfold live... we shall see!
[/b]
lost&found
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Btw - as I wondered in half-way thru their set, could someone tell me who the support band were - I'm not sure it was who is was supposed to be but couldn't find anyone who really knew! Thanks.)

Oh and about the keyboards, though I loved it all so much, I have to agree with Robin - couldn't hear them from where I was standing either - about five rows back on the rhs.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Standards were the support act...they said the myspace(too quickly for me to catch properly) was www.myspace.com/thestandardsmusic
(I've just double checked it) blooming good they were too!!
BigManRestless
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, after the improved sound on Whomp why were we back to the inaudible Ron?

FFS someone sort it out!!!

The only time he was loud enough was on Minnie Mouse when he switched keyboards.
lost&found
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Alex. I wish I'd got there on time to catch all their set - they were really excellent!
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a great performance from the band last night. another 80s album i'm not familiar with too much and the cd doesn't do too much for me. but, live, it was a different kettle of drums. decline and fall is a lovely song and has rapidly become one of my all-time favourites. it felt like another party and it's such a privilege to be a part of it.
Kermit

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the other album that I have really struggled with over the years. I've tried but I just wasn't a lover. I think Russells deep voice on "Angst In My Pants" just didn't appeal that much to me as I do love his falsetto and I don't feel it was stretched enough on this album. But the enthusiasm of all the guys tonight, as this is obviously one of their favourites, has certainly (yet again) changed my mind, on most of it anyway. Boy did those guys have fun tonight and have a blast! A really good turn out again. This is such a favourite to many and there were certainly a few new faces in the N1 tonight. Too much to ask for for Ron to be in his wedding dress I suppose but Russell wearing his green sequin jacket that had been so gracefully hanging at the Brick Lane exhibition looked fantastic, as per!!
I loved the chanting "I Predict", we can all get in to this one with it's retorts and I love the drumming rhythm. And the song will fade out...I predict!! The video to this one has got to be one of Sparks best. Ron in full drag doing a strip is just the funniest thing I've seen! Hilarious! I can't confess to still liking the rest of side 1 (sorry) but if we all liked the same things in this life the world would be a pretty boring place.
When we get to "Moustache" is for me when the album really gets going again. Love the frantic pace and the great fun lyrics. Can go really barmy to this one! Crazy!
"Instant Weight Loss" is a bit lightweight for me but then the best track on the album "Tarzan & Jane" sets off the rest of the album quite nicely. I love the Oooie Oooie Oooie Ahs! Again the pounding drum rhythm is what seals it for me.
Russells favourite "The Decline And Fall Of Me" is the only track that his falsetto really comes to life and the guitars are really screaming. Nice one Jimbo! Great drums Mr Nistor!
"Eaten By The Monster Of Love" is a great storming party finisher! With it's "Don't Let It Get Me" chanting, 5 pints of lager must really help but I give you this one Patrick, it's a corker!
The encore of "Minnie Mouse" ain't a stunner no matter what anyone says, even Russell couldn't convince me to that but it was great to hear it as I never knew it actually existed until a few weeks ago.
The actual albums production certainly pales in to comparison to the live perfomance but I can see why it's been such a favourite. I'm looking forward to "Outer Space" though. I really love that one. Custard pies at the ready!! He he!!
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
Just back home.

Another cracking gig!

Hey MarkRae, you told me you'd be home before 11!!!

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself though. It looked and sounded like lots of fun on the live stream.
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev hook wrote:

Ill never be able to listen to these songs in the same light again - its like listening to a whole new batch of Sparks material.

I totally agree. So many albums are a new listening experience for me since hearing and seeing these live shows. I'd imagine the band feel the same way. Crazy wonderful idea this 21x21!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: