SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...14)Music That You Can Dance To
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Whelan wrote:
One question - why has Russell taken to saying "Thank Ya" over the last week or so? Has he been saying this before and I haven't noticed? It sounds odd to me, but then I'm from the home counties...

Yes, I noticed that... He is an American, after all... ;-)
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Whelan wrote:
One question - why has Russell taken to saying "Thank Ya" over the last week or so? Has he been saying this before and I haven't noticed? It sounds odd to me, but then I'm from the home counties...

Thank goodness someone brought this up! No, I noticed this, too. So funny and unexpected. It started around Terminal Jive I think?
Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Whelan wrote:

In '75 Russell was saying "Thankyou very kindly" all the time. I think there's been a different line for every hair-style.
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal wrote:
Andy Whelan wrote:

In '75 Russell was saying "Thankyou very kindly" all the time. I think there's been a different line for every hair-style.

Glad to see you're home safe David. So am I as you can see. I can also see your mood hasnt changed much in the last half hour. Great show tonight. Autons were a superb start. Thanks for the 'Rainbow' recognition, guys. It was a real buzz walking in tonight and hearing our cd being played through that huge PA. And coincindentally being played before the album that features the song containiing the line 'a rainbow over the freeway'. So a fitting note to end the night on with 'Change'. This was a very very special show for me, so thanks for all the kind words about the cd . Nice to meet some new faces with old names at long last too.......... Goes without saying great performance, and the sound was also spot on tonight. Ron was exceptional. Russells vocals just keep getting better. And together they are showing us what great entertainers they are too........

MiniPop

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the gig.
Autons were excellent. If they had been supporting any band other than Sparks, the headliners would have been getting seriously worried.
MTYCDT had really in-your-face energy. It seemed to be all thunder and exploding stained-glass-windows. I doubt that the streaming on-line transmission captured that but you can imagine.
There were some nice interactions between R&R. There was a bit where they were almost Laurel and Hardy. Russell's voice was definitely in top form.
Ian (is it Ian? The guitarist with the beard) is providing some of the best BV performances Sparks have ever had.
Ron was wonderful throughout.
Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev hook wrote:
Dal wrote:
Andy Whelan wrote:

Glad to see you're home safe David. So am I as you can see.
MiniPop

I'm so pleased you made it back! Hope you get some space to work in.
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill put this up before I turn in of Rons solo bit - Im rubbish with video so someone needs to turn it through 90 degrees and reupload it please. If you wait for me to wake up, it might be a while........

https://download.yousendit.com/9E85388B3BD82F6F

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
BritSwedeGuy
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Music that you CAN dance to Reply with quote

Amazing gig, dragged a friend along who'd never seen them before and hardly knew anything by them, her reaction:
"And that's supposed to be one of their worst albums?! They were f***ing amazing!"
They really deliver, the work they've put into this is amazing, such dedication. How many bands could play every album and make every one sound so good live, and connect with the audience like they do.
To the Golden Ticket holders that 'had a night off' - MISTAKE! MiniPop

A couple of snaps from the night...
http://adrive.com/public/9cc42148925b2ee229ac0f9f6420765b190852d307dd5639ce453758e08c2488.html
http://adrive.com/public/4d20ddeb78518222adc94329626e39def5b6a46b1a0b76c7a8b6d1b15cc70f6a.html

Last edited by BritSwedeGuy on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(not least some pillock near me who’d had too much to drink and got in everyone’s way, then spilt beer all over my trousers).

I think that "pillock" might have been me sorry Mr Noisyboy. If you were stood just in front of Ron a little way back I know I did bump in to some guy on my way back from the loo. I did apologise to you fella if it was you and if I spoiled your night in any way I apologise again. I wasn't drunk, I don't drink alcohol. I have problems with my feet and was just caught up with the fun of the night. If you see me tonight say hello and I'll get you a drink back ok? As for getting in the way of everybody though, this album is called "Music That You Can Dance To" and if dancing is getting in someones way then I suggest you just move somewhere else, there was plenty of room last night for everyone to enjoy themselves dancing or stood still. Apologies again.
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kermit wrote:
(not least some pillock near me who’d had too much to drink and got in everyone’s way, then spilt beer all over my trousers).

I think that "pillock" might have been me sorry Mr Noisyboy. If you were stood just in front of Ron a little way back I know I did bump in to some guy on my way back from the loo.

No don't worry; it definitely wasn't you - this wasn't just a bump as the culprit dropped two pints worth of beer all over the floor around me, shouted out a load of unintelligible guff a few times, and had much trouble remaining vertical, to the annoyance of everyone around him (not least Ron who kept eyeballing him throughout the set).

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed hearing A Rainbow Over The Freeway as I'd not heard it before and it sounded great! Well done whoever organised that tidy compilation!
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...That's a relief it wasn't me then!:)
No Tony Perkins
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has very kindly posted Shopping Mall of Love on youtube. Brilliant!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rU6f16m9lXI
T.N.K.
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal wrote:

MTYCDT had really in-your-face energy. It seemed to be all thunder and exploding stained-glass-windows...

Great description!
Very much enjoyed the concert.
So pleased by the encore - I have a very soft spot for Change - after buying Beat the Clock in 1979 as a young schoolboy, it was seeing their astonishing performance of Change six years later on the absurd Terry Wogan TV show that turned me into the Sparks fan I've been ever since.
Small
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to tonight's show anyway. I was looking forward to this one. "Music That You Can Dance To" is one of my favourite Sparks albums. I didn't get a lyric sheet with my copy of the album but I did my best to sing-a long-a-Russell tonight. I was 26 when this came out and I was having a blast on the dancefloors so the dance orientated way Sparks were going was well happy with me. I went to New York on holiday and went to "The Saint" nightclub at the Palladium. Hearing "Music That You Can Dance to" on the floor was a magical experience for me at the time cos Sparks had followed me all the way to New York as well. I certainly was in heaven that night! Especially as I had been having the album on replay all the way over on the flight on my walkman.
Hearing it again live on a rainy night in London was gonna be something special. A surprisingly good crowd had turned out for it though. A lesser well known album I guess but this album for me really starts to get the feel of Sparks film and drama in their music. I was hoping that Ron would be wearing his hat tonight from the cover of the album but no matter, if he's got a bit of a cold going on then a hat wouldn't be so comfortable I suppose. We got the Ronnie dance though and that was well cool!!
"Rosebud" was outstanding. I love the starkness of this track. With it's sirens 'n stuff. I felt like I was watching "Citizen Cane" all over again and that last line of Russell whispering "Rosebud" is just lovely. The lighting again tonight was excellent.
"Fingertips" sounded so good live although I still think it's the weakest song on the album. "The Scene" is where you really come into filmscore territory though. With it's punching dramatic highlights it stomps along at a roaring pace. Then when it stops and bangs in to the next part of "is you is or is you ain't" you can't help but think you're in the movie with 'em. Storming stuff. Fabulous!!!
Then my favourite track on the album "Shopping Mall Of Love". Those pounding drums are just gut wrenching. Ronnie gets up to do his vocals while Russell does the "Loves" from the sidelines. Ronnies "yeahs" are just fab. This is such a fantastic song and a great posting on youtube. Sheer Drama! The flying balloon from someone in the crowd was fun although I'm not sure what Ron & Russ made of that one.
The galloping "Modesty Plays" is another one that got a lot of dancefloor attention in London at the time of it's release. Great Hi-energy track that again sounded so crisp live. Love the melody to this one and check out the 12" remix to this one if you can get it cos it's GOOD!!!
"Let's Get Funky" finishes it all off slowing down to a sleazy groove. Russell sounding like a cowboy on heat. Well he certainly had his beans tonight. Russell just where do you get your energy?
It had to be "Change" for the encore I suppose. As much as I enjoyed tonights album I still really don't like this song. I know it's a favourite but I just don't like it. Sorry. But I just loved tonights gig. It seemed to whip by so quickly but what a good night.
Over to the Eddie again in the rain for more fun after with everybody and Sparks toons again downstairs. It's a nice way to finish the evening off and people are meeting people and making friends and that's so nice to see. Knackering though!
veryoldfan
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great gig. On sauntering over from the pub just in time to catch the Autons I was amazed to find myself a spot right at the front, with room to dance about. Even got some photos (honourable mention here to Tony the photographer who lent me his rechargeable batteries because, although I'd remembered to take my camera, I'd totally failed to remember to get any batteries. Duh. Tony you are a star and a fine example of what a nice bunch of people Sparks fans are).

As it was 'Music You Can Dance To' I set myself the challenge of dancing to all of it. Not as hard as I'd previously thought, my recollection was that a lot of it was not very danceable but having played the album the other day for the first time in a while I realised that was completely wrong so I bopped about happily. However my attempt at dancing to 'Change' was a bit of a failure and very short-lived!!

Russell was on superb form as usual and looking very good in his white trousers and waistcoat. Ron's dancing and his deadpan performance of 'Shopping Mall of Love' were both classic. Obviously.

Starting to feel sad now because there only 7 gigs to go but trying to stay in the present and not think about that! On the plus side, that is only 7 (in fact 6) more times to suffer Charles Aznavour (sp?) whilst waiting for Sparks to come on stage
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Tony Perkins wrote:
Someone has very kindly posted Shopping Mall of Love on youtube. Brilliant!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rU6f16m9lXI

AHAHA! That was so damn cute.
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veryoldfan wrote:
On the plus side, that is only 7 (in fact 6) more times to suffer Charles Aznavour (sp?) whilst waiting for Sparks to come on stage

I gotta say I don't mind the Charles Aznavour touches. Hearing "La Boheme" at a Sparks concerts is just lovely, it's such a gorgeous song, and I liked the "Bilitis" soundtrack the other night too. Great soundtrack that one for romancing to. Put that one on when you want to seduce and you'l ll be well away! :)
BritSwedeGuy
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad / hope we've seen the back of the hip-hop that was on before Sparks on the first few nights - dire!
powpowpow
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why so much hatred for rap! I'm so shocked by the knee-jerk response of the audience... it was a damn sight better than a hell of a lot of the support acts who've been on..
BritSwedeGuy
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it was knee-jerk - some people just don't like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: