SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...14)Music That You Can Dance To
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the Public Enemy album over the PA (which was Ron's choice)?

Or the wonder that is Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip?

In both cases, I'd say that I'll take PE over Charles Aznavour any day (as would most of the crowd, from the repeated groans that you can hear once 'She' gets going), and there's absolutely no question that of the support acts I've seen, Dan & Scroob have been the best by a country mile.
BritSwedeGuy
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip were quite entertaining - not exactly your typical hip-hop though!
There's no right and wrong in music - it's all a matter of personal taste.
But hip-hop does suck
Maybe Mother Superior and/or Red Kross would have been a better choice?
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritSwedeGuy wrote:
I thought Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip were quite entertaining - not exactly your typical hip-hop though!
There's no right and wrong in music - it's all a matter of personal taste.
But hip-hop does suck
Maybe Mother Superior and/or Red Kross would have been a better choice?

Redd Kross opening for Sparks? Poor Steve would be exhausted. Although it would be entertaining to have two sets of brothers onstage. . .
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:

One of the nights PE was playing before the gig, I had someone turn to me and say 'What the hell are they playing this for? Why don't they play some rock?' (by which I assume they meant a style of music more commonly pronounced 'RAWK') When I informed them that it was probably Ron's choice, as he is a fan, they said 'Ron?' and looked confused and hurt. I found that a very amusing moment
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Is Lingering wrote:
Noisy Boy wrote:

One of the nights PE was playing before the gig, I had someone turn to me and say 'What the hell are they playing this for? Why don't they play some rock?' (by which I assume they meant a style of music more commonly pronounced 'RAWK') When I informed them that it was probably Ron's choice, as he is a fan, they said 'Ron?' and looked confused and hurt. I found that a very amusing moment

Hee hee! I would have, too.
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:
Setlist:

Music That You Can Dance To
Rosebud
Fingertips
Armies Of Night
The Scene
Shopping Mall Of Love
Modesty Plays
Let’s Get Funky

Change

Band:
Ron
Russell
Marcus Blake (Bass, Backing vocals)
Steve Nistor (Drums)
Jim Wilson (Guitar, Backing vocals)

Support:
The Autons

A nice surprisingly full gig. Really enjoyable stuff, and well received by the attendees (not least some pillock near me who’d had too much to drink and got in everyone’s way, then spilt beer all over my trousers). The album itself isn’t terrible, but simply lacks the firepower to make it a classic. Nonetheless, it seemed to be a favourite with a large percentage of the people there who were enthusiastically dancing throughout, though the call & response for Fingertips was a bit of a non-starter (incidentally, does anyone know why they decided to cover this early Stevie Wonder classic? It just seems so incongruous!). The sound was uniformly great, and Russell’s vocals were as clear as I’d ever heard them. Even with the sequenced tracks that they were playing to, a lot of great ‘band’ moments really shone through – Rosebud was particularly excellent, as was The Scene, not to mention Ron’s dancing! The only letdown was Armies Of Night, but its placement in the set prepared us for the true classic on the album, which was the wonderful Change (worth the entrance fee alone, although I’ll admit I got into this one free!). Before that however, was The Shopping Mall Of Love, another great moment worthy of the ultimate encore list, should anyone be so inclined. Ron, despite his evident cold, deadpanned his way through it, after spilling his bottle of water over the mic, then the floor, even gallantly mopping up his spillage afterwards! The end of the song was met with a cry of ‘GO SOLO!’, to which he raised a stoic eyebrow… We also had to endure Let’s Get Funky, which possibly qualifies as my least favourite Sparks song (not least due to the overuse of ORCH5 sample), but the keyboard/ kick drum playing was really tight, and I certainly appreciated that, as did most of the crowd. Overall then, another triumph!

This Tuesday/Wednesday for me was always going to be hard work as they're not my favourite albums but they do have some very good tracks and hearing them live is a whole other experience.

I loved AOTN despite the erm problems on the night but then I love the film & I love(d) Roddy McDowall.

RE:the support.
Sorry guys I hated it, I tried to listen I don't often walk away from support bands but tonight was one too much. I walked the room trying to find the sweet spot and found it outside on the stairs
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eve wrote:

This Tuesday/Wednesday for me was always going to be hard work as they're not my favourite albums but they do have some very good tracks and hearing them live is a whole other experience.

Absolutely! I was impressed with how good Rosebud and The Scene sounded live.

Eve wrote:

RE:the support.
Sorry guys I hated it, I tried to listen I don't often walk away from support bands but tonight was one too much. I walked the room trying to find the sweet spot and found it outside on the stairs

I had my earplugs in, but I could tell they were LOUD. Especially from the contingent of front-rowers with their fingers in their ears. I gave them a listen on their Myspace, and they've seem to work a lot better on record than live.
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:

I had my earplugs in, but I could tell they were LOUD. Especially from the contingent of front-rowers with their fingers in their ears. I gave them a listen on their Myspace, and they've seem to work a lot better on record than live.

I've not had the pleasure - studio trickery can go a long way in creating a sound, hard to cover lack of ability in a live situation.
publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really must agree on this. The support act were just unbearably loud. My wife and I had to stand outside.
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eve wrote:
I've not had the pleasure - studio trickery can go a long way in creating a sound, hard to cover lack of ability in a live situation.

Each to his own, but thats a little harsh dont you think (and innacurate IMHO) ?

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't ted nugent have the strap-line "if it's too loud, you're too old"?
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev hook wrote:
Eve wrote:

Each to his own, but thats a little harsh dont you think (and innacurate IMHO) ?

Suggesting a lack of ability was a general statement and not directly at this particular band......there were several I would throw that at
Lots of bands choose to smooth the edges in the studio, have countless takes, you don't even need to get your pitch 100% as it can all be tinkered with to be the best you can be or to present your work a certain way - live that's hard to fake.
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themightybishop wrote:
didn't ted nugent have the strap-line "if it's too loud, you're too old"?

HEAR HEAR

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
veryoldfan
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the support band. Yes they were loud, possibly I am now so old that I'm starting to go deaf (!) so it didn't bother me too much but I thought they were really good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: