SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...15)Interior Design
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unprinted
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girl With Everything wrote:
Would've loved to see Madonna. Did he do it in English and French?

Yes. My memory is telling me there were others too.
cactusboy
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what was the encore?? and did they do big brass ring?
soupcrusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had completely forgotten how high russ had to sing during "let's make love". it made me do a double take. totally awesome that he pulled it off so well. great show all around + 2 encores :)

thanks one more time to the sparks team and cd pulse for getting that stream up and running again!
cactusboy
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what were the encores?
jidlomonster
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The encores were Big Brass Ring and It's Kinda Like the Movies, from the Bad Manners soundtrack. Russell confidently told us we would not know the second one, but he should have realised

Of course we know
We know everything

(To paraphrase from the next album up)

I'm pleased other posters feel this album is unfairly slagged off. I've always liked it.
Stephen
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Kinda Like The Movies is a great song.It was originally performed by Gleaming Spires for above mentioned film.The soundtrack has never been released.
cactusboy
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can find copies of the movie on ebay etc - Motorcycle Midget is the standout - cool they did song from that tonight.. maybe they will do an unreleased MAI song before this is all over
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the great sound of MTYCDT there were some problems tonight, mainly the return of the bass boominess which made the last two-thirds of the show sound a bit stodgy. Russell was definitely the star of the show though. His vocals were consistently brilliant, especially on the stunning version of Let's Make Love. I was tempted to shout out "Best vocal ever!" but chickened out...
Despite another sub-par contribution from the sound crew, the band turned in a fine performance of a grossly underrated album.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another excellent performance of not so excellent songs, IMO...

A Walk Down Memory Lane was the hightlight for me.

So, that's it for the 80s...

See you all on Friday for some Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins...
rainbow
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A surely underrated album! Also by me. Tonight it sounded really GREAT,
and I thought: hey, there are nice songs on it, actually! It was a big relief that CD pulse was on again, what a sound! Finally out of the water again.
Russell was vocally in top shape, I really am in love with that VOICE and it gets worse every time I hear him!
lauraleeandme
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from the gig. Highlights: So important; Lots of Reasons; Toughest Girl in Town; Walk Down Memory Lane (I didn't know the song at all, but what a classic -odd key and even bolder key shifts!). Ron looked better and Russell's voice was amazing. I wonder what he does to keep it so fresh... Great guitar contributions from Jim and Marcus seemed to relish the bass line, especially in Madonna. Steve's socks are now gracing the hi-hat, which can only be a good idea.

I wasn't around for the last two gigs, but attendance seemed OK (around 150-200 I think). Lots of room for dancing, most ably utilized by a blonde a few feet away from me (stage left by the bar). I am still astonished that we are so lucky to have the best pop band alive for what are essentially private concerts... I don't think we'll ever get the chance again to be this close so, everyone, make the best of it! Just be patient with all the people that'll show up on Saturday just to see Jimmy Sommerville....
Stephen
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt Jimmy Somerville has much of a fan base anymore?.maybe I'm wrong.
Andy Whelan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin Davies wrote:
After the great sound of MTYCDT there were some problems tonight, mainly the return of the bass boominess which made the last two-thirds of the show sound a bit stodgy.

I thought the sound was pretty good, it all just seemed louder to me. Perhaps my hearing is starting to pack up after 15 nights.

A great performance of an album that I've always thought is a bit same-y and very late-80s sounding. Highlight for me was Stop Me If You've Heard This Before, which must surely be a Morrissey reference.

Also, I'd not thought of it before, but this is the first Sparks album I never acquired on vinyl and I didn't get that side 1/side 2 feeling that I've had every other night so far. Strange.

Please can we have a proper release of the Bad Manners soundtrack songs. What is it with Sparks and rubbish films?

It'll be a quantum leap to GS&SV on Friday.
loz
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it!
I knew they were going to do "Kinda like the Movies" And I missed it!
probably my fave ever Sparks song... But my streaming thing is impossible. Seems my phone line is too far from the exchange. Aaargh!
I just can't get the streams. I must move back to London or New York!
loz
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Kinda Like The Movies Reply with quote

Somone! Please get this on line!
Else, I'll send you a version by Kev Hook & Me.
You wouldn't like that!
Not pretty!
I just soooo love this underated song!
Please vote for it as an encore!
At least R&R had the balls to do it tonight!
And I wansn't there.
Moon Breeze
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Sparks fan since '74, and perhaps paradoxically Interior Design is one of my favourite albums. "Let's make Love", "So Important" and the "Toughest Girl in Town" are great tracks and are very special to me. Even though I wasn't there in person, I was there in heart. I'm so happy that they managed to pull this one off so well. We're on the home run now.
Maja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I've never written anything on a forum before but I thought I had to since I was mentioned in this one (I am the dancing blonde from an earlier post!). So tonights show was wonderful... of course. Ive only been able to go to one before, No. 1 i Heaven, which was completely amazing in terms of it being such a masterpiece of an album but also the energy and almost ecstasy created in that space. It is pretty nice to have some room though. I really love this album and have never quite understood its unpopularity (well I can a bit) Out of the songs, for me what really stood out was Walk down memory lane (just a brilliant performance of a brilliant song), Madonna, Stop me and Lots of reasons, and of course Lets Make love nearly making my knees buckle (such a perfect performance by Russell, of a song which is really quite difficult to sing, not to mention so romantic). As for the encores Big Brass Ring sounded amazing, makes one want them to do more purely instrumental stuff, not to take away from our dear Russell of course. Also I had never heard Like the movies, but it was damn good. Ok bye hope to see you all again if I can just figure out how to scam some cash off some rich distant relatives. If I could afford it I would have been at every show... goddam these low wages and high inlfation crap!
Tomski5421

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really liked It's Kinda Like the Movies. The concert was good but the songs were so-so to begin with so I thought they did the best they could have done. The live setting did make the songs a bit better for me.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loz wrote:
Damn it! But my streaming thing is impossible. Seems my phone line is too far from the exchange. Aaargh!
I just can't get the streams. I must move back to London or New York!

I'm only 30 miles from London but my streaming was terrible too. I thought it might be a problem with my low spec laptop on previous nights, so tonight I used a laptop with faster CPU and more memory, but still same broadband connection. I got most of first song, then it kept freezing, so I'd get about 5 secs of song then frozen picture and no sound for about a minute, all the way through rest of concert. So I completely missed some songs, and both encores, although it often burst back into action at the end of songs, so I'd catch the clapping and audience chatter, then the next song would start and it would freeze. Very frustrating! Although the justin.tv stream sounded bad, it did give continuous sound and vision.

I'm going to the rest of the shows (although I haven't got a tickets for Balls yet), so I'm looking forward to Friday.
T.N.K.
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning, cinematic, huge, beautiful words & music.

Lovely audience.

Russell Mael looking & sounding incredible & so elegant.

If I hadn't already voted for Change I'd be voting for A Walk Down Memory Lane for the Ultimate Encore.
Small
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: