SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...15)Interior Design
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred E
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stream worked OK. "Lots Of Reasons" was excellent.Loved the drums on "Toughest Girl In Town". "A Walk Down Memory Line" still has a killer chorus. Russellīs singing on "Letīs Make Love" was impressive, some really high notes there.
sin-is-quite-the-thing
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of the four i'm going to last night and i LOVED it!!
Everyone was so friendly, So Important was incredible! I've watched all the others on the live feed (that have worked!) and you really don't get that same sound/feel that you do at the concerts.
Absolutely brilliant!
Even met them all afterwards and got them to sign my sparks book!!!

Bring on Balls!!

Did anyone catch the name of the support band? They were great too!

Last edited by sin-is-quite-the-thing on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sin-is-quite-the-thing wrote:

Even met them all afterwards on got them to sign my sparks book!!!

You don't think I am actually going to talk to you now, do you?
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do all the quotes of mine always have spelling errors!

Please talk to me! You should be happy for me
Introducing Leo
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's true that listening to the recordings can't recreate the feel of the real thing...but to me, listening to this music just doesn't even sound like Sparks. It sounds like I'm listening in on some 80's private party-function with cheesy 80's music. But that's just my gripe with the album rather than the performance...Sparks are of course doing all that they set out to do...but I can't really imagine how the band weren't bored rigid plodding through this one!
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please talk to me! You should be happy for me

Oh alright... I'm happy for you
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Is Lingering wrote:

Yay!
Are you going to any/all of the other concerts?
lauraleeandme
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Introducing Leo wrote:
I can't really imagine how the band weren't bored rigid plodding through this one!

Well, perhaps they may have been bored with some material but why does this matter? 21x21 is a conceptual pop-art project and the presentation of the whole Sparks canon is central to its integrity. The project may not appeal to every taste, fair enough. But it should primarily be judged for its success in delivering its stated aim, i.e to take full stock of Sparks' career in the form of successive live concerts, not so much for the merits of particular songs or albums. 21x21 has afforded us a unique opportunity to re-assess Sparks, to discover new gems and to confirm or revise our likes and dislikes. That, for me, is the real measure of its worth as a project.
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Is Lingering wrote:

Yay!
Are you going to any/all of the other concerts?

I sure am. I flew over for 4 in May (why does that sound like I've wings?) And I'll be flying back for the last 3... assuming my wings still work!!!!

And very well put lauraleeandme!
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Is Lingering wrote:

I sure am. I flew over for 4 in May (why does that sound like I've wings?) And I'll be flying back for the last 3... assuming my wings still work!!!!

Lol! In that case if you see me come and say hello! My *Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls* themed t-shirt arrived today so i'll be wearing that!
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be wearing my grey "SPARKS: The Best Band in the World (TM)" T-shirt tonight.
sin-is-quite-the-thing
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will see if i can spot you on the web feed!

Not going back to London till Sunday.

Have a good night!
Introducing Leo
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lauraleeandme wrote:
Introducing Leo wrote:
I can't really imagine how the band weren't bored rigid plodding through this one!

Well, perhaps they may have been bored with some material but why does this matter? 21x21 is a conceptual pop-art project and the presentation of the whole Sparks canon is central to its integrity. The project may not appeal to every taste, fair enough. But it should primarily be judged for its success in delivering its stated aim, i.e to take full stock of Sparks' career in the form of successive live concerts, not so much for the merits of particular songs or albums. 21x21 has afforded us a unique opportunity to re-assess Sparks, to discover new gems and to confirm or revise our likes and dislikes. That, for me, is the real measure of its worth as a project.

I agree, and like I said my gripe is just with the material rather than the performance. I'm just as in awe of the band managing to do this as the next guy. I'm sure there have been some albums and songs that they didn't think much of, but they have now grown to appreciate again...just can't imagine this was one of them.

For me, this was the first recording I have listened to on this season that has actually sounded like they were just going through the motions and getting it over with, and to me, Russell sounded disinterested...but like I said...perhaps those who were there would disagree...?
Pineapple95
Power Groupie

Location: Just like New York, Just like Paris, Just like the coast of Peru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Muir wrote:
Compared to last night this is like Blue Ray with Dolby.

I must say Justin.tv was bleedin' awful!
It sounded like he was gargling mouthwash/underwater while singing all the songs!
I mean I've heard of Exotic Creatures of the Deep, but that is ridiculous!
WE LOVE CD PULSE!!!!!!!!! JOIN THE CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basil: Yes you did, you invaded Poland...
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first time ever hearing Interior Design, having failed abmismally to collect the full 21 albums. Progress in assembling such a collection has resumed with gusto following this fantastic package of shows. If the Interior Design CD sounds anything like what the band delivered on Wednesday, then it will never be away from my player.

I had come to expect that this was to be a down tempo show of some slushy love songs. Well, was I in for a surprise? What I heard was one quality pop song after another. I guess we all take forgranted just how superb Ron is on keyboards - we all realise he's much much more than that. With less familiar material, the impact of Ron's multi tasking and sheer brilliant playing was overwhelming. And, many of the songs were driven by an exciting base rythmn from the first class Marcus Blake, who seems at his most comfortable performing at this intense level.

Interior Design appears to have been that rare and elusive album I was desperate looking for in my teens, to bring out and surprise my friends with its brilliance.
Kermit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a belated note. Just looking back at the reviews of the spectacular and my original review seems to have disapeared which is a bit strange....Mmmmm??? Where's it gone or was it all a dream? Bit of a Bobby Ewing moment here.
I remember slagging off the artwork to "Interior Design". It really wasn't good and didn't do the album any favors on it's release. The album itself was always my least favourite Sparks album so I was looking forward to seeing it live to see if any old opinions would change. Luckily to say "A walk down memory lane" I think now is really rather fab and I play it quite a lot. It's a real grower. That and "You got a hold of my heart" are the albums highlights with "Madonna" a close 3rd, makes you wonder if that ever really happened or was it another dream? "Just got back from Heaven" was always an ok single on it's release but the 12" had Sparks doing a first and sampling themselves on the angels with dirty faces mix with a snippet of "Number 1 song In heaven".
I'm glad the live rendition of the album had me listening to it again though. Still my least favourite but it ain't all bad!
jill
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a review of Indiscreet, written by Noisy Boy... it had disappeared too (judging by others' replies, probably the review wasn't too favorable).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: