SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...16)GS&SV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rileyrempel
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK – again, I’m writing as I’m watching the live stream. I just missed the 1st 2 cuts because I forgot about the showtime – whoops.
Charlie Parker sounded a lot better than the album vers. – Russell’s delivery was way cooler and the band rocked. I Thought I Told You…gave me goosebumps, man I do believe Russell’s voice is getting stronger with each show – this is kind of heading into the kind of music they do now, though, so maybe it’s just the fact that he’s changed his style as a singer. Whatever it is, he sounds great. Ron is in top form too…I read that he was sick or something, but he’s looking pretty energetic. Oh my God – seeing Ron and Russell switch roles for TH was so art school! Awesome – although the stream just froze…I’m not going to bitch about the stream though, cause it’s back, and it only froze a couple times. I missed the last 3 shows (I hadn’t realized that the stream was up for Interior Design), and missing Let’s Get Funky was really disappointing.
Anyway, this show was amazing all the way around. I can’t pick a favorite, cause they were all great.
OK – since this is a stream of consciousness review – and Marry Me just ended – I take back the thing I said about attributing Russell’s vocal prowess to a change in style. The guy is simply turning into some kind of vocal superhero. Right on. Can’t wait for tomorrow.
A special note for all those people that are having trouble with the stream – do you have Firefox? I have a whole bunch of browsers on my system, but I find that Firefox works a little better with this site. Just a thought.
bryan_davey
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buffered 37 million times, only two lines that ran together my end were from marry me, totally missed grat sax , my way ,bbc, tui har,k surfin , liberace, hear no evil, AND SURFIN really dissapointed watching a frozen screen for well over an hour,,,lets hope they do release these on dvd, AGGGGGHHH!!!!
rainbow
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed the start but not the end. Came in on My way. Wow....another splendid gig. Better than the album, again. Ron in Tsui Hark was a real treat, brothers trading places! What spheric songs are there on GS&SV! I don't hear this album often, I like it but I like others more, but tonight it has been upgraded! And...BIG SURPRISE.... MARRY ME!!!!! YESSSS!
I feel like such a lucky woman, being a Sparks fan!! My love for those splendid ageless geniusses still grows every night.... Ron Playing sigh.....
I fear I have to miss the 21st, Exotic!!! Hope to hear it afterwards. Obligations...
soupcrusher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in the states, streaming via safari on a mac. i had the usual hiccups but nothing major. sorry to hear so many people were having problems.

this show was awesome! i've never given this album much of a chance but like the rest of the performances i've seen, it just comes off so well live. plus they really got into it tonight. including the crowd which looked to be one of the biggest i've seen recently.

i really had my fingers crossed that tsui hark might be there. oh well. ron was more than a suitable substitute.

thanks again for the stream, and making another boring afternoon at the job a total blast.
hannu a peltoniemi
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where was encore "Katherine Hepburn"?
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back home!

Another cracker, and the largest crowd since N1SIH - around 450, according to the venue.

Superb atmosphere, and an excellent performance from the band.

One or two technical problems during the first five minutes, but they were soon resolved. Was it just me, or was it a fair bit louder tonight too...?

I had the misfortune for a while to be standing next to one of those people who *thinks* they know all the words, and proceeds to sing them wrongly at the top of their voice. You know the sort of thing: "When I'm with you, when I'm with you, I hear Charlie Parker singing"... Managed to move far enough away from him, only to be met with two blokes who insisted on carrying on a conversation about football (yes, really!) all the way through the gig - sigh! Moved again, and all was well...

All sorts of rumours about who's guesting tomorrow night... Some people seem convinced that Dean Menta's going to make an appearance - hmm - we'll see...
Tacky Tiger
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I'm Tsui Hark!

Great great stuff. I've always loved this album. Fantastic vocals, tight set. Wonderful. Web stream broke in a couple of spots but nothing to complain of - hell I can do timeslips and blackouts at real gigs too.

Thanks guys. It was excellent.
Andy Whelan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great album, and a fantastic performance. It seemed busier than many nights, but not totally packed.

The sound was excellent from where I was standing (centre stage about half way back), and pretty much every song was a highlight. Russell's vocal on I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car probably just stole it for me, together with Ron miming along.

Ron's vocal turn on Tsui Hark was, erm, interesting, and I particularly liked the bit where he got the words wrong and then apologised for having mentioned one of the films before.

It was also great to hear Marry Me, although it did sound quite out of place after the album. I was hoping for She's An Anchorman.

I was slightly alarmed and disconcerted by Russell's jacket, though, it looked exactly like my old school blazer...
lost&found
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Just back from another amazing evening. How fab was that?! Took a mate along this evening who'd never seen Sparks live and who knew none of the songs - she had the best time! Danced like a crazy cat and loved every minute. She said she'd never been to a gig with such an atmosphere as that and commented on the lovely people we met. I know what she meant - I've been to loads of gigs but Sparks gigs are always something really special - I thought that was just coz I'm such a big fan, but to hear it from a first timer makes me think there really is something quite unique about it all.

MarkRae wrote:
Was it just me, or was it a fair bit louder tonight too...?

Oh, and back with a severe bout of tinnitus! So yes, I think you were right Mark.

Back to do it all over again tomorrow.
T.N.K.
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like MarkRae above, I thought it was louder than the other ten I've been to, which was good. The sound was great until Let's Go Surfing, which sounded a bit muddy where I was.

A brilliant night, lovely crowd again although I expected to see more dancing! It was pretty tight and hot at the front though so perhaps hard to dance. More genius music & lyrics, Russell Mael was INCREDIBLE again - man you are one of the most original and amazing vocalists of all time, and Sparks is a fantastic, so special band. My favourites of the night were Car & Liberace.

Somewhere there are dreams...
Small
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Muir wrote:
Tsui Hark - brilliant. Did Ron say the intro speech was 10 times longer than the song?

Haha, yes, so cute.
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMonte wrote:
I hope the stream came on for folks. I was lucky - no problems. I have to say, besides the five shows at the start that I saw live (of course), this was probably the best I've seen, an absolutely fantastic show. Russell - how does he do it? I do worry about him; yet tonight I think his voice was stronger than ever. The songs were lush and melodic and captured - and even transcended - the beauty of the album (one that's really grown on me over the years).

From about the middle - "wait in the car" or thereabouts - Russell just took it to another level. Mind Boggling.

And Ron stole the show! What a treat that was!

How fortunate we are...how fortunate...

I agree, this was one of the top three shows I've watched online so far!

Every song sounded SO good and filled with new meaning, and yes, Russell's voice was perfect. I had to go and listen to the CD twice after the show ended!!!
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When I'm with you, when I'm with you, I hear Charlie Parker singing".

HAHAHAHAH! Oh dear me.

Also, I agree with whoever said that Russell is some kind of vocal superhero.

Sorry, I'm too tired to use quotes!!

MissmissyTannenbaum
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gig certainly brought back memories from the nineties
BigManRestless
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RODDON wrote:

Ron was, er....welll....Ron.

No he wasn't, he was Tsui Hark, a film director who won several awards for his films, pay attention!
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fine show, though the sound is still a little too bass-boomy for my taste. Russell's emphatic delivery brought new life to I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car which is a track I've never much cared for on album. Strange that they missed out one of the melodies on Tsui Hark which threatened to make it even more boring than the one on the album, but Ron's unique charisma saved the day. Charlie Parker, BBC and Let's Go Surfing were, as expected, wonderfully exuberant explosions of perfect pop.
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell was faultless tonight.....where does he get it all from ? Its like hes shifted up yet another gear......and was that blazer left over from the HYL tour ? Not by favourite album so wasnt there tonight. DOH !! Looked like it was steaming. Was that one of the best audiences (not in number) ? Looked like it from where I was sitting.....What else can I say except 'MARRY ME' ? We are not worthy....Sorry 80s fans, but that has to be my highlight of the week. Da do Ron Ron...There is simply NO competition. Sparks are really proving they will always be in a league of their own - not that I had any doubt. And what a performance on the Culture Show - 'This town' gave me the same goosebumps as it did back in '74. Spooky.....

MiniPop

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
Girl With Everything
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The streaming was working pretty well even here in New Zealand where broadband is lousy. It does cut out now and then but I find clicking in and out of the site always kick starts it again.
Flatulence Man
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! My first gig this time around but WHAT A ONE TO PICK!! I agree about Russ's vocals - wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!

SparksMarie
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the live streaming of GS&SV last night, and there were less hiccups than usual. I loved Ron's impersonation of Tsui Hark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: