SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...16)GS&SV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Streaming was ok for me. And what a gig.... 'F'ing Brilliant!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed last night as GS&SV is one of my very favourite albums. My highlights were Hear No Evil (so hypnotic) and Liberace. Last time I saw this album on tour there was just Ron, Russell and Tammy as it is such a 'studio' album with all the great production, so surprisingly I thought Interior Design on Wednesday benefitted more from the live treatment as it's more guitar/band orientated.

I hate to ask but I've been wondering over the last few nights about Russell's hair - he seems very wary about it - anyone near the front got any opinions?!

Will be online tonight for sure as I heard Jimmy Somerville is there and back for the live version on ECOTD next Friday - particularly looking forward to the second hour too - yah!
Bri77_uk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad I came along to this one..! The concert I've been waiting for for nearly half my life, and it didn't disappoint. Fan-flippin-tastic! The atmosphere was incredible, and, I know everyone's said it but, Ron's Tsui Hark impression was a classic.

I'll listen to 'I thought I told you...' with different ears now as well - they bought the whole song, nay the whole album, to life. BBC had a different focus on the sound which gave it a bit more oomph as imo.

Great to meet all you die-hards! See you all again tonight.

Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought that 'Tsui Hark' would be a standout live track! Ron on vocals and Russell on synths almost made up for the lack of the 'When I Kiss You' intro dance. Another great gig!
sean's sparks thing
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Sax! Reply with quote

Well, that was a most enjoyable evening indeed!
Everything really came to life in the live environment and the songs really shone!
Most people around us were having a good ol' dance and sing along.

Top night, yet again!
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Russell's hair. I think it gets in his eyes alot. He got the fringe cut for the culture show and it now seems to land straight into his right eye all the time.

Why do I find Russell playing synths so appealing?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a truly amazing show.

I can't remember how many times I've seen Sparks now, must be 8 or 9 times already, so I've heard some of these songs performed before, but I was really quite moved by the experience last night and found tears streaming down my face during "When Do I Get To Sing 'My Way'". I suppose GS&SV is my favourite Sparks album. I'd always liked them way back to when "This Town" was in the charts, but it took GS&SV to make me sit up and take proper notice. I just bought it on a whim when it first came out, it was a case of "Blimey, are these guys still about?"

Hey, that little intro they did for "I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car", that was surely a nod to Kraftwerk's "Autobahn", wasn't it?

I was surprised to see them perform GS&SV with a full band - I mean there wasn't much call for a guitar, was there? Jim Wilson seemed to be on backing vocals duty fom most of the performance anyway, but I think Marcus's bass was a good idea, just to reinforce those basslines.
tackydaughter
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't caught any of the gigs online since "Angst" and I really enjoyed last night...streaming was okay in Edinburgh. I missed the start (but not the end) because I didn't know about the earlier showtime, and was pretty happy to hear them play "Marry Me". "Tsui Hark" was a great surprise for me.

Bring on Plagiarism tonight!
Kermit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh what a night! Packed house and such a well behaved crowd too. All having fun and respectful which is a pleasure to see.
This was Sparks real comeback album in British eyes. We had a few hit singles and some great videos from this album and the dance orientated sound was so in at the time. Feet firmly placed back on the dancefloor! The wonderful remixes of the singles will echo in my feet for the rest of my life. I remember coming across a promo collection of the 12" of "When Do You Get To Sing My Way" before it came out and hearing it was just like Sparks are back witha real BAM! They could not fail. The cover work to the album and promotion was right on track. Sparks were truly back on topnotch form! Back as well with a sexy siren in the form of the beautiful Miss Kristy Haydon on percussion. Hearing the Microbots version of "My Way" on London's dancefloors was again truly amazing. Sparks were with me on the dancefloor yet again. Hurrah!! And I made damn sure everyone around me knew who they were dancing too. I still remember those surprised faces. "This is Sparks?" ...."from This Town?"... "Amazing". So yes we had Sparks back in the charts and happy, happy people to have them back with such a great sound!
So tonight's show was an eagerly anticipated dance down memory lane. The sound was so crisp and fresh, this could have been released yesterday and it would still sound new. The glorious "When Do I Get To Sing My Way" had everybody in a happy mood and going for it. Ron's lyrics to this and the next "(When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing" has surely gotta be some of his best. Sparks must have been in a very happy place at the time 'cos it certainly comes across in the music on this album. The galloping "Charlie Parker" has Russell singing at his most frenetic. The "Red Jerry Mix" of this one was a real floor filler at "Love Muscle at The Fridge" in Brixton back then. The Hills were certainly alive with the sound of music though tonight! Julie Andrews would be proud of you boys for sure!!!
"Frankly, Scarlett, I Don't Give A Damn" sounded so great with it's spooky doo doo doos. Seeing Rhett up on the screen was almost tearjerking in itself. Magical!
But then to one of my all time favourite Sparks toons, (And why isn't anyone voting for this one again at Shepherds Bush?). "I Thought I Told You To Wait In The Car" should have been a single and remixed as well at the time but how alive did it sound tonight? The way Russell sings this as he screams "wait in the car!!!" really highlights the joy of his voice totally in one song. From a gentle smoocher to an opera bitch! Truly Incredible!
Things slow down again for "Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil". Russells reference to the lyrics of being the wife of Clinton so strangely apt again in our times today. Great haunting song though! Shame Hilary didn't make it through too I gotta say. A lady in charge of America would have been a better badly needed chance of change for our mother earth.
Anyway, back to pure pop with "Now That I Own The BBC". Great video though to this one and it sounded great tonight although I must say it's my least favourite track on the album. It's just too commercial sounding for me. But the place was jumping to it tonight. A happy, happy toon!
"Tsui Hark" was the evenings surprise though. Ron getting up and changing places with Russell on the keyboards was fabulous. Ron you made a great Tsui Hark!
Liberace spinning around on the projection over Russels head on "The Ghost Of Liberace" was a sight I will never ever forget. Jim & Marcus's backing vocals were sounding really crisp to this one too.
Then the albums pounding finale of "Let's Go Surfing". Always a bit too Pet Shop Boys for me at the time but tonight it had Russell reaching those top notes once again. Great up lifting song though and I remember seeing this one on MTV being performed live as I think it was probably going to be released as a single but never was. Great MTV show that one, talk about the "Shopping Mall Of Love"...Ron what were you doing with that cucumber.....and those melons....!!! Classic fun Sparks!!
I was hoping for "She's An Anchorman" for the encore. I hope we get it at some point cos it's a real goodie B-side. But we harked back to "Propaganda" B-sides for the delighful "Marry Me" instead. Gorgeous tune and a lovely way to finish off the evening. Smiling faces everywhere. This was one of the best nights no doubt about it. Great stuff!!
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved this show! Great album, even greater live!

All so good, it's hard to pick highlights. Maybe the intensity of Hear No Evil, I dunno it's all too good! Tsui Hark, for just being flippin' unexpected.

Great fun!
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yet another really great night. Whilst TH is not my favourite track on the album it may just have been my favourite on the night complete with Ron adlib Happy night.
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Sparks toured with Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins, I seized the first opportunity to ever see them live. I was far from disappointed on that occassion and remember entertaining numerous colleagues with a lengthy monologue about how good a night it was, complete with re-enactments of Ron's stage antics.

How could Sparks top such an experience? Well, they just did. There seemed to be a sizable and appreciative crowd which gave this celebration of an album which restored them as a vibrant pop band providing stylish uniqueness and excellence. They were back in business with this noteworthy album, and I was so proud to already be a fan.

I don't ever recall hearing the quirky introduction "Gratuitous Sax" and the ending "Senseless Violins" of the album ever done before, so it was a real pleasure hearing these eerie oddities replicated with the quasi operatic vocals of Russell, Jim and Marcus. These guys can sing.

It was great hearing stalwarts "When do I get to sing my way" and "...Charlie Parker Playing" again. Revisting the others with such a good band was delightful. And, rounding it off with the resounding "Lets Go Surfing" was sheer bliss.

Well done guys. Thanks.
rwolf'68
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to give a shout out to Bob and his band who opened this evening's show with a whacky joyous performance despite some technical difficulties. They were obviously having a great time and singing some outrageous tunes that really made me laugh. Very entertaining! I even saw Sue smiling!
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Terrorists may be my favourite support act of the tour.
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed. they were brilliant. but the song about the mc canns was not something i could laugh at.
sparksfanlm
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a fantastic gig, sooo glad I was able to make that show, it's my fav Sparks album ever. Oh what a night!!!! Ron Playing .

Didn't really like the support band though, too punky for my taste, lol (the frontman maybe should have considered wearing a different jacket as well).
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Terrorists were the best support band I've seen in a while. I wouldn't mind a CD of theirs if they're available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: