SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...17)Plagiarism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rileyrempel
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I can die happy now - I've seen Looks Aren't Everything live. I was afraid that it wasn't going to make it onto the encore list...I'm not sure what it is about that song that made me love it instantly - I'm so glad they played it.
That said, this was a really tough night to pull off, and it was an amazing show. Those Trinity College dudes must have practiced their asses off. It was cool to see Jimmy too - he looked like he was having a great time up there. It's difficult to pick a favorite, but Change was out of this world. It was perfect - and it's one of my favorite songs as well, so I guess I'm biased. Looking forward to tomorrow!
rainbow
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another amazing gig. How do they do it?! Trinity College was a very good contribution, Propaganda was heaven, many highlights, and...a song i DID NOT know, Looks aren't everything, where does that come from?? B-side? Awsome song! Profile I don't know too, I sure hope to hear that one!
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: What? Reply with quote

Quote:
Plagiarism is my least favourite Sparks album by a country mile......the one that almost never gets pulled out of its case and frequently sheds a few tears as yet another Sparks album slides into the CD player in its place.

Joy
Joy
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: So Should I Have Gone Tonight? Reply with quote

Quote:
Propaganda was heaven

An amazing way to end tonights postings.

Thank you Sparks.
Joy
Joy
unprinted
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jidlomonster wrote:
I have to mention the contribution made by the musicians from Trinity College. Even though I think backing tapes were used, since it still sounded like a string section rather than soloists, they were clearly really going for it and added a heck of a lot to the occasion.

Yep, they were very very good - looked to be enjoying the rest of the show too - and if I hadn't needed to be back home quickly, I'd have been in the groupie queue for them (and Jimmy) afterwards.

Ahem.

No, I think that was live: they were amplified with mics attached to their instruments. That makes them sound 'bigger'. Someone else doing a series of concerts at the moment, Michael Nyman, does this with his 'Michael Nyman Band' all the time.
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: from a train at euston Reply with quote

I've seen the brothers many many times since 1975, and that was as close as it gets to perfection. Not an album I play too often, but to have pulled off all those different versions was (american word coming) - awesome. Those trinity people were briliant. And with the smiths on the iPhone for the journey home, I am in heaven.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! How good was that!!!

One of the best gigs I've ever seen in my life. Wonder if I'll ever see a better one...

The only disappointment for me was Jimmy Sommerville. I have always thought that he is a dreadful singer with an absolutely awful voice, and tonight he did nothing to disabuse me of that opinion. I consider his voice to be flat and one-dimensional with no edge, style or timbre. There's an art to singing falsetto, and he just doesn't have it. Russell, on the other hand, has bucket-loads of it and, during their duet tonight, Jimmy Sommerville was simply outclassed. Russell ran rings round him. The difference in the quality of their respective voices was almost embarrassing... However, I'm clearly in the minority, as he got a rapturous reception.

Propaganda was simply jaw-dropping. Now *that*'s what I call quality vocals...
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't commented on any of the shows so far....because I've thought they were ALL top class...but man,tonight was an eye-opener....I was sitting at my PC almost in tears ..the emotion was so high...god alone knows how the attendees felt....but even on PC that was the most awesome thing I've ever seen or heard......INCREDIBLE
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from heaven...
Wow! What a great gig, a strong contender for best so far. The strings sounded great and Russell's voice is almost frighteningly good, particularly on the astounding Propaganda which even outdid the stunning Let's Make Love on Interior Design. Great to see and hear Jimmy Somerville too and I thought he sounded fine.
lauraleeandme
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not worthy!!! We are not worthy!!!

Unbelieveable gig. Absolutely extraordinary production: the Trinity contribution was out of this world, rhythmically crisp and full of character; the sound balance was much better than other nights; great backing vocals by the band (Jim and Marcus excelled in Propaganda).

I don't think I've ever heard anyone give a performance close to what Russell delivered tonight. As previous posts have said, Propaganda was perfection. In fact, it's almost scary that he pulled this off 17 nights into the project. I don't know what others think, but there is actually no comparison between Russell's voice in the early 70s and now. Back then he had an impressive falsetto but little range and often tended to fall flat on the note (I find most live recordings of the time really depressing). Now there is really no limit to what he can do: perfect diction; perfect breath control; perfect attack; all the passion of a teenager.

Perfect moments, my friends. I almost don't want to hear the recording for fear of spoiling the memory...
Private Pike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did they handle the Faith No More tracks? who did the other vocals on those?

Did Dean Menta make an re-appearance on guitar?
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an album the guys have admitted they didn't look back on with much fondeness,it looked damn good from where I was watching.

Don't think there's any need to attempt to demean the contribution of JS.He turned up,did his bit and left without in any way milking the applause at the conclusion.

The overall quality of the concert was astounding.Where else would you see the fusion of voilins and guitars into one.Vocally perfect from Russell and top marks the musicians from Trinity College.They added a lot to the whole event.

That must be the peak now prior to Friday.And those that were there tonight did see a little bit of history created,because the ripples from this will spread.
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
Wow! How good was that!!!

VERY VERY VERY GOOD!

MarkRae wrote:
Jimmy Sommerville... The difference in the quality of their respective voices was almost embarrassing...

Hear hear... I was stunned when Russell's voice came in on the song after Sommerville's ... It was so strong and unique ... He's a really great singer... We need more chants of 'Russell'. He's performing his ass off out there.
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell proved tonight that his voice can last the 21 nights.It's getting better and better..
Mr Somerville's voice was good but he could not hit the notes all of the time. HE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO DO 2 LET ALONE 21!!!!!!.

However he did bring an audience with him (packed out tonight).

I have been there every night, where oh where were these crowds on the quieter nights?

I have gone through 2 hours of London transport (very poor) there, and back every night have loved every moment ....however i have also seen the bar prices rise at a whim (ACADEMY MANAGEMENT PLEASE TAKE NOTE....ONLY "CERTAIN" STAFF ARE DOING THIS!) Check their pockets Before and after, this has only happened on the full/sold out nights....coincidence?

For the second night in a row,the encore baffled a lot of the people but have been high points (Marry Me was brilliant, still saving my vote but i think Friday's setlist covers most of my favourites (Suzie Safety, Wacky Women and Girls on the Brain better be in there! boys-you have been warned........).

I will see the regulars tomorrow, but respect to the guy from Dublin and the girls from Hull who could only make this gig.....

"There are alternatives to old age,.....I prefer being old"

MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private Pike wrote:
How did they handle the Faith No More tracks?

They just did them straight.

Private Pike wrote:
Who did the other vocals on those?

No-one.

Private Pike wrote:
Did Dean Menta make an re-appearance on guitar?

No.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Is Lingering wrote:
MarkRae wrote:
Jimmy Sommerville... The difference in the quality of their respective voices was almost embarrassing...

Hear hear... I was stunned when Russell's voice came in on the song after Sommerville's ... It was so strong and unique ... He's a really great singer... We need more chants of 'Russell'. He's performing his ass off out there.

Just listened to the "original" version from 1997 - the difference between the lines that Russell sings and the lines that Sommerville "sings" is palpable... The guy just can't hold a candle to Russell.

A similar situation exists on the George Michael / Elton John version of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" - George Michael sounds as if he's doing an OK job until the moment when Elton starts singing...
BigManRestless
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the best gig I've ever been to.
The strings were amazing (shame they weren't around for Indiscreet!), Jimmy was a lovely bonus and Russell and the rest of the band seemed to give the performance of their lives.

It's an album I very rarely play but that just blew me away.

Highlights: Change, Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat, both versions of Number One Song In Heaven.
Polish Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they just keep getting better!

This gig was to quote Vancouver Dave "awesome" - so many highlights but for me Propaganda was just something else. A fantastic vocal from Russell (how does he do it night after night) and brilliant support from Marcus and Jim. Once again the band were on fime form as they havebeen every night, Ron was having a ball singing along and the strings and horns from Trinity College were fantastic. Then the appearance of Jimmy Sommerville just topped off a totally memorable evening of Sparks music.

On the way home I had to suffer a train load of Foo Fighter fans at Wembley Park station loudly discussing the 'greatest gig' they'd ever been too. They are entitled to their opinion but a few miles across London 800 people would perhaps beg to differ.
iloverussell
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROPAGANDA WAS BREATH TAKING!!!!!!! Absolutely heart stopping!
AMASING SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
T.N.K.
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lost for words about how good this concept, this concert, Russell Mael's voice, & so many Sparks songs are.
Small
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: