SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...17)Plagiarism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilywearsmoschino
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRILLIANT show, maybe the best of the 21 so far. Propaganda was stunning. I am so glad I was there. Russell's voice has never sounded better, and the band and orchestra were fantastic.

What a great night, and still Balls, Lil'B, HYL and ECOTD to look forward to. Are we the luckiest fans in the world or what!!!

Ron Playing Ron Playing Ron Playing
Bri77_uk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic gig - Russel's voice was amazing and Propaganda... perfect is the word. Jimmy Somerville's contribution was brilliant as well, and he clearly loved every second of it - bouncing around like a crazy fan who's climbed on stage past security! Great to see him in EDVI after as well.

Bring on Balls.
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why oh why did I opt out of this one ? Has to be the highlight so far. Perfect renditions and performances MiniPop , the strings were spine tingling , 'Propaganda' had me in tears , and my favourite ever Sparks song for the encore . The best ever Sparks show (maybe with the exception of Meltdown 04) ? Enough said.......

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
E-Clect-Eddy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said it Kev... i'm kicking myself as we speak... if i had any legs left after friday transport drama drama...London in 24 hours or less.

www.last.fm/user/E-Clect-Eddy
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev
i reckon you gave it a miss because, on paper, it wasn't going to be as great as it was.
the best sparks show ever?
to be fair, only those who were at both meltdown and plagiarism can really say. watching from a laptop is surely a different experience. but, for me, last night was more exciting. in fact, i feel shattered at what is really turning into an emotional rollercoaster. sometimes, it's not far from hysteria at some of the really special moments that this project is conjuring up. and another thing - my shoulders and back are bloody killing me from the non-stop clapping. oh, i know all about how russell is a few years older and working ten times as hard as i am. but i'm a middle-aged, pot-bellied, normally-sedentary, lazy-arse. and this is too much excitement, enjoyment and wish-fulfillment for a lifetime, never mind 21 nights.
Introducing Leo
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of this was backing tapes, and how much were live instruments on stage?
Introducing Leo
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am of course mainly referring to tracks such as the orchestral This Town, and Change etc...
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themightybishop wrote:
kev
to be fair, only those who were at both meltdown and plagiarism can really say.

I was at both and I'd rate Plagiarism higher. The Meltdown show was excellent, especially the performance of Kimono which just had the edge on the 21x21 version, but the Royal Festival Hall is a seated venue and had nothing like the atmosphere that a packed Carling Academy has. The string section, Russell's vocal on Propaganda and the appearance of Jimmy Somerville made last night really special.
Introducing Leo
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the comments about Jimmy Somerville...he really shouldn't put himself in a position where he can be compared directly to Russell Mael, cos it really shows him up!
lauraleeandme
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my eyes and ears, it all looked and sounded performed live. The only 'unnatural intervention' apart from Ron's synth was the micing on the strings and the brass (why people refer to them all collectively as 'horns' is beyond me). Getting the score right is not difficult for accomplished musicians. Actually, I'm sure they could sight-read the whole thing, even the tricky tempo change and a couple of counterpoint lines in SFTGWE. What made the night extrordinary was the sheer gusto and dedication of the orchestral forces, who seemed to enjoy the event as much as us. I am pretty sure I saw a few of them miming along to a couple of the songs...
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilywearsmoschino wrote:
Are we the luckiest fans in the world or what!!!

Ron Playing Ron Playing Ron Playing

YES!!!!
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to add to what's been said already. The performance was outstanding - better than any I have witnessed - Russell's performance in particular exceeded all expectations. I had been a bit concerned beforehand as to how they were gonna pull this off - ha! Me of little faith! I hesitate to say it though, but on a personal level, I preferred the evening before - GratSax - the smaller crowd and bonhomie made for a more pleasant atmosphere - and more space to dance!

And I don't really get the some of the comments here re Jimmy Somerville - his voice is totally different to Russells that's all. I thought his contribution was excellent.
wackywoman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Jimmy Somerville's voice was very good and definately in tune. The whole gig was excellent, especially Propaganda!!
tractorboy72

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the album that made me a Sparks fan. I only bought it because I am an Erasure fan and they obviously appear on Amateur Hour. I thought the whole album was great and the rest is history.
I booked for this show as soon as the 21x21 was announced and boy that was the best £18 I've ever spent!
Russell, Ron, the band, the strings, the brass & Jimmy all collaborating to make a fantastic night. Everyone on stage and in the crowd seemed to be having such a great time and I thank everyone involved and feel privileged to be there at a gig that will go down in Sparks history.
I was never in any doubt that this show would be special . . . and I was proved right!!

Ron Playing
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost&found wrote:
And I don't really get the some of the comments here re Jimmy Somerville - his voice is totally different to Russell's that's all.

Yes it is - *totally* different. Specifically, it has none of the edge, style or timbre of Russell's, nor can he hold a candle to Russell's phrasing and delivery. Last night he was simply outclassed by a vastly superior vocalist.

lost&found wrote:
I thought his contribution was excellent.

In what way...? I agree that he's got a lot of energy, and is clearly a Sparks fan, but that doesn't mean that he can sing... I don't know him personally - I have nothing against him personally. He's just an awful singer, IMO...
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelieveable-hope Jimmy is not reading this.Respect to Jimmy for being a Sparks fan and for guesting on a Sparks album and concert,and for having a great voice.Russell's better than you na na na na nah.My Dad is gonna beat your Dad up.Jesus...
lost&found
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
Specifically, it has none of the edge, style or timbre of Russell's, nor can he hold a candle to Russell's phrasing and delivery. Last night he was simply outclassed by a vastly superior vocalist.

I agree that he's got a lot of energy, and is clearly a Sparks fan, but that doesn't mean that he can sing... I don't know him personally - I have nothing against him personally. He's just an awful singer, IMO...

What you say seems extremely harsh and disrespectful but I think we shall simply have to agree to disagree on this occasion.
unprinted
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lauraleeandme wrote:
To my eyes and ears, it all looked and sounded performed live. The only 'unnatural intervention' apart from Ron's synth was the micing on the strings and the brass (why people refer to them all collectively as 'horns' is beyond me). Getting the score right is not difficult for accomplished musicians. Actually, I'm sure they could sight-read the whole thing, even the tricky tempo change and a couple of counterpoint lines in SFTGWE.

Yes, I think the strings were individually mic'ed and what we heard was what was being played. This was most obvious in Orchestral Collage - quick, stack the voting for this one so we get to see them again! - sequing into No 1 in Heaven. Trying to match some pre-recorded backing tape without a conductor would be much much harder than just playing it all.

Quote:
I am pretty sure I saw a few of them miming along to a couple of the songs...

Yep, me too.
unprinted
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatherjack wrote:
However (Jimmy) did bring an audience with him (packed out tonight).

No, this is effectively the greatest hits album, and it was always going to be one of the particularly popular ones along with Kimono and No 1.

And I say that as a Jimmy Sommerville fan from before Bronski Beat.
Raoul
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess a lot of us never heard how strings really sound "live",but I agree with "unprinted"that matching with taped material is really hard.The power of this concert was huge,all that were there brought it over by stream!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: