SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...19)Lil' Beethoven
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jah Jah.

Amazing.
sparksfanlm
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyGun wrote:
Russells 2 mess-ups were quite amusing i hope they dont make him too nervous

When did Russell mess up? I guess they must not have been too bad if I didn't even notice, lol.
TommyGun
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he sang something to early during the Rhythm Thief..dont know what exactly anymore
the second one was during Carnegie hall, he shouted I practised I practised some bars before the background choir had practised had practised

I dont want to appear fussy this is not critisism, thats what happens at live shows eh? it sounded just weird(especially the second one)

but yeah, the show was a highlight
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really looking forward to seeing this show, because it's like the beginning of a new era for Sparks. I remember exactly where I was when I heard this album for the first time – ice skating in Montreal at night. After repeated listens, I remember thinking – I hope they carry this on for a while. This is something totally new.
A few other people mentioned that Baby's Taking Me Home was their favorite, and I have to agree. There was this strange otherworldly vibe happening during that song. Suburban Homeboy was right up there too. And Wunderbar...I'd never heard the story behind that before. Excellent as well – Russell’s energy still continues to amaze me.
Gotta give a mention to a couple of things - Ron's dance during Cowboy was super hot. I think their next video should be Ron teaching a line dancing class. With a cowboy hat on. Ha ha ha. Like, typical line dancers too – from Waco, Texas. That’s about the most frightening thing I can think of.
Tammy was great - she can kick the ass out of the drums, but she was really deadpan tonight.
I can't believe there are only 2 shows left! Thanks to everyone involved with the streaming - I wasn't able to be there, but watching the stream is kind of like being there in a way...I’m watching the last show with my sister in Vancouver. I’m gonna be there anyway - and yes, I did arrange the travel schedule around the last show - I can’t miss this.
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Another stunning show which goes into my top three along with Indiscreet and Plagiarism. The audience reaction to My Baby's Taking Me Home and the singalong finale of Suburban Homeboy was thunderous, despite the venue's attempt to melt everybody. The air conditioning seemed to be limited to the area near the door as we were leaving. Even the normally ice-cool Ron had to mop his brow once or twice. Or maybe it was the proximity of the Beautiful Girl who was an absolute stunner. Shame she didn't come back to take an extra bow! It was nice to see all five musicians on stage together for the first time too. We really are being spoiled with this whole extravaganza.
Thermaland
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, this show was just fantastic again! Initially I hadn't booked for it because I've already seen them do this album 3 times, but I couldn't resist in the end. Lil Beethoven is the album that got me into Sparks (well better late than never!) and is possibly my favourite. I was a bit worried at first because I forgot that Ron doesn't appear during Rythm Thief and thought perhaps he was off sick or something but no. Great, great stuff, MBTMH was gigantic as mentioned, and This Call... of course. It was nice seeing Tammy Glover with the band as well. As for the revelation that the whole project sprouted from a tribute to a German football commentator... only Sparks, eh? Das war classic.

Can't wait for Friday now. It is going to be a night to remember and no mistake. Remember, they did all this to build up for the new album...
unprinted
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermaland wrote:
I've already seen them do this album 3 times, but I couldn't resist in the end.

This was on my 'must see' list and didn't disappoint.

As someone who is still a little annoyed at having missed the Meltdown performance... the video backdrop for this show was there then?

Another fabulous - if somewhat sweaty! - evening.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That was unbelievable!!!

I was a bit concerned how this would come across in the Carling Academy, especially having seen the whole album previously in a much better venue. I needn't have worried - this was even better.

Don't think there was an obvious highlight, it was all that good; but I suppose my favourite songs were MBTMH and UGWBG.

Superb audience - about 550, according to the venue. It's obvious that this is a "special" album for the Maels, and they were clearly moved by the reaction of the crowd.

And am I the only person who thinks that Tammy is gorgeous...? What a total babe!
discointellect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good, I ask rhetorically, was that? This is the 4th of the 21x21 concerts I've seen (Kimono, Gratutious Sax, Plagiarism and now Lil' Beethoven) and I've not seen Sparks live prior to this run of shows but that was absolutely fantastic. I thought Plagiarism was the best gig I'd ever been to and for about 48 hours I was probably right, but this was awesome. Loved every second of it, and as far as I could tell so did everyone else at the Academy this evening, both those in the audience and those on stage. Magnificent.
fatherjack
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 19th of 21.

2 more to go, I have been there every night (as have many others) The support act tonight moved me to tears (disbelief/shock/laughter).

Bless you Yugi,you have been there every night.
I did not realise that you would be performing but well done you!

Charlie Bucket
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best. Performance. Of. Lil. Beethoven. EVER!!!

A word hasnt been invented for how good that was!
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was great! So was that! Very good.

I love this album more, each time I hear it. I had tears rolling down my cheeks from "What are all these bands so angry about?" onwards. Ron used the long arms gag at Meltdown and the premiere at RFH. Someone asked earlier why Ron didn't just play the piano on Carnegie Hall? Well, as Roger Rabbit said "It wouldn't have been funny!"

"I married myself" brought another tear, when Ron didn't get the girl, and everyone went "Aaah". This show was such fun. Ron was really getting into his stride with the "Ride'em Cowboy" 'dance'. Each time Ron did it, a group of abouut ten guys, waved their pink stetsons (with tiaras) in the air, shouting "Yee Har"!

There was obviously a fair bit of backing track used tonight, as Ron was doing so much theatrical stuff, that he was barely at the keyboard but everyone was having such a good time, it didn't really matter. Goodness me, I just welled up again while typing, having a flashback to how great it was tonight. Especially when everyone joined in for Suburban Homeboy. Nice to hear the story behind Wunderbar and how it inspired Lil Beethoven. Tonight was another great show. Thank you Sparks.

I have seen members of the band in the EDVI pub afterwards before but I popped in for half an hour tonight and no sign of them. I went out to my car and Steven Nistor was signing a few autographs by it, he then walked off, giving the EDVI a wide berth and disappeared down the street to the side of it. As I was coming out of the car park, Ron & Russ (maybe others) were getting into an MPV. My way home meant I was following or beside them for a couple of miles along the A501 into Marylebone, where they turned off south on to the Edgware Road. Are they all staying at the same hotel? Was Steven off to a secret tryst? I'm not a stalker really!

I shall be wearing my black DICK AROUND (6" white letters) T-shirt to tomorrow's show.
BigManRestless
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only echo what everyone else has said - that was such a fantastic night. I've been feeling quite down about the spectacular coming to an end but Lil' Beethoven just made my spirits soar again.

My Baby's Taking Me Home made me cry, but I think they were tears of joy.

And luckily my pink cowboy hat acted as a marvellous fan.

My 2nd favourite gig of the run.
T.N.K.
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ache from all my singing and swinging, what a fantastic night. I was worried it wouldn't move me like the awesome premiere way back just before the album came out, or the glory of Meltdown, but this was something else, a joyful celebration of the most creative and powerful new beginning a long-running band ever had.

I also cried during My Baby's Taking Me Home, this is such a beautiful song, pop music at its very, very best.

I yelled for Wunderbar when they came back on, and got it, but boy was it better than I expected! The arrangement and Russell's singing were beyond belief, absolutely brilliant.

This is the first time of seeing four Lil Beethoven performances that I was close enough to look into the eyes of a skilled Sparks Beautiful Girl, and I was more intimidated than a look from Ron! She was awesome. One problem with the performance of this song though - RON ISN'T UGLY, he's beautiful too!

I'm off to cry again.

...home, my baby's taking me home...
Small
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REACTION - ELATION - JOY JOY JOY. MBTMH - phenomenal. Wunderbar - how dark and intense was that ? Only Sparks.........FANTASTISCH. Nothing else to say.......

MiniPop

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setlist:

The Rhythm Thief
How Do I Get To Carnegie Hall?
What Are All These Bands So Angry About?
I Married Myself
Ride Em Cowboy
My Baby's Taing Me Home
Your Call Is Very Important To Us. Please Hold
Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls
Suburban Homeboy

Wunderbar

Band:
Ron
Russell
Steven Nistor (Vocals, Timpani, Tambourine)
Jim Wilson (Vocals, Guitar)
Marcus Blake (Vocals, Bass)
Tammy Glover (Vocals, Timpani, Drums)
Steve McDonald (Vocals on Suburban Homeboy, Drums on Wunderbar)

Support:
La Veuve Moustachue/ The Moustached Widow

Wow. Just wow. Unquestionably the best show yet, and one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Just stunning in every respect, from the crowd who were just as entertaining as the band (props to the folk waving cowboy hats during the choruses of Ride Em Cowboy), to the backdrop, which was faithful to the DVD – having never seen the original run of Lil' Beethoven shows, I was afraid I never would – to the return of Tammy Glover (who looks a bit like Becky from Coronation Street if you squint a bit). I didn't quite now what to make of Moustache Widow, though they've got balls for doing I Married Myself as part of their set. But when the metronomes turned up and got the crowd in an anticipatory mood, going on as they did for five minutes, I knew we were in for a treat. Positioning myself towards the back rather than the front made for a great sound, as on came Russell, Steve N, Jim, Marcus & Tammy, and into The Rhythm Thief they went – all the band on vocals, Steven N and Tammy on timpanis, just breathtaking. Enter Ron and his long arms for Carnegie Hall, to much applause (this was easily the most enthusiastic crowd I've yet seen), and onwards through the album.

I think what made this so excellent for me (and what makes it so damn annoying that I can't see tomorrow's show) is that this wasn't an attempt at creating a facsimile of a vintage work, as the past shows have been – this was real and current and still vibrant. It also helps that most of the band who played on the album and shows are still there (though Dean did appear in spirit as one of the onscreen animations taking a bow at the end). It showed up best in the younger crowd, and in My Baby's Taking Me Home, possibly the best performance of anything they've done so far, and a response so rapturous I didn't think it would end - seriously, people didn't stop cheering after it had finished!

The other facet was that this is very much a performance piece rather than just an album rendition – the whole multimedia presentation is definitely Sparks' most adventurous work in that realm (so far), and Ron is as much of a star as Russell (who said very little during the set). He's not just the deadpan keyboard player, but a key stage element, and a very very funny physical comedian (I very much dug his amusing facial expressions in Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls, whilst parading his beautiful girl around, and his Ride Em Cowboy actions).

What was also a joy, which you may not have been able to see on the webcam was the sheer camaraderie between the rest of the band – during Suburban Homeboy, when Steve McDonald came back out (sporting a rather ill-advised moustche) to sing backing vocals, all the band looked like they were having a whale of a time, which was really infectious. They could've ended right there and I'd have gone home happy. And while I was expecting The Mandalay Song as the encore, Wunderbar was a good choice, with Russell doing a fine impersonation of Günther Koch's exasperated commentary skills.

Thus ended my experience of Sparks at Islington Academy; one of the most unique things I've experienced in my life, and probably twice as much for those who're attending every show. One last hurrah on Friday then, which I'm very excited about; and I doff my cap to those attending tonight- it's bound to be spectacular.
T.N.K.
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:
..Ron is as much of a star as Russell (who said very little during the set). He's not just the deadpan keyboard player, but a key stage element, and a very very funny physical comedian (I very much dug his amusing facial expressions in Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls, whilst parading his beautiful girl around, .

You reminded me, there was a tiny but great moment in that which might not have been clear on the webcast where during one of his last circuits of the stage with his Beautiful Girl, Ron picked up the drum baton and hit the timpani in time to one of the "Wup wup wup wup" chants.

Another thing I just remembered, Russell tearing at his shirt as My Baby's Taking Me Home became a tornado of emotion and beauty - I Like Girls, but he was damn sexy!
Small
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really really thrills me more than anything else is the sheer delight of the crowds response to Sparks more recent ground breaking material.I really appreciate the work that the band are currently producing.The past is the past-its gone.People who say Sparks only get a good reception to Kimono etc are 100% wrong.This was the first of 3 great albums by the best band in the World.A new beginning if you like.Christ i feel sorry for anyone who has not heard this album or seen it live.I believe they are missing out on something that would change their opinion on Sparks.I hope Jonathan Ross was there again last night.He loves this album-no doubt if he was he will have been blown sideways.Rainbows appear in 2 of Sparks best songs-and when a Rainbow forms in My Baby's.. it sends goosebumps.Suburban Homeboy is one of the best feel good sing along clap along songs ever.Never forget it at Meltdown..I always like the images on the screen of Ron doing his fingers salute towards the end of the song.Oh and the bird with Ron was mighty fine.
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life doesn't get much better than a Lil' Beethoven show! Another great night, and it was good to see Ron doing (even) more than just keyboards. And welcome back Tammy!
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.N.K. wrote:
Noisy Boy wrote:
..Ron is as much of a star as Russell (who said very little during the set). He's not just the deadpan keyboard player, but a key stage element, and a very very funny physical comedian (I very much dug his amusing facial expressions in Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls, whilst parading his beautiful girl around, .

You reminded me, there was a tiny but great moment in that which might not have been clear on the webcast where during one of his last circuits of the stage with his Beautiful Girl, Ron picked up the drum baton and hit the timpani in time to one of the "Wup wup wup wup" chants.

Another thing I just remembered, Russell tearing at his shirt as My Baby's Taking Me Home became a tornado of emotion and beauty - I Like Girls, but he was damn sexy!

Yes on both counts - I could understand why Russell's a sex symbol when he did that!

The timpani moment was very cool, as was the moment when Ron was slow dancing in the middle of the stage with his beautiful girl (who was absolutely stunning, I should add), when he turned to face the audience, he gave a real 'raised eyebrow'/ Terry-Thomas leer that had me weeping with laughter. GENIUS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: