SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dear Ron & Russell.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatherjack
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Dear Ron & Russell. Reply with quote

Is there any chance of you looking after the people who have travelled back and forth to Isllington N1 for the last 19 (tomorrow 20) concerts?

I can appreciate that a full house (or overfull in the instance of Plaigarism) is a good thing however the TRUE fans who turned up and enjoyed the "lesser known" albums are being literally bullied backwards on the big nights ("Oh I love this one......).

Thank you for the "exclusive" CD (check ebay...), and my poster however it has cost me an enormous amount of money to get there and back each night, not regarding the initial golden ticket price, it has cost me 4-5 times more.

I have loved every night (I even listen to Interior Design again!) but having been twice nearly mugged,hours of LT delays and non-fans shoving past because "I like this one" I think it would be a good thing to acknowledge TRUE loyalty (or madness.....)somehow.

See you in N1 tomorrow and W12 on Friday.

MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dear Ron & Russell. Reply with quote

fatherjack wrote:
Is there any chance of you looking after the people who have travelled back and forth to Isllington N1 for the last 19 (tomorrow 20) concerts?

What precisely do you consider that Ron & Russell "owe" you?

They have put on this spectacular for their fans - presumably, you consider yourself to be one... They have chosen to stage it in London, no doubt because they consider that is where their strongest fanbase resides...

You bought a golden ticket (as I did) because you wanted to - no-one forced you to...

You have attended all the shows (as I have) because you wanted to - again, no-one forced you to...

But that's not good enough for you, eh...? Perhaps Ron and Russell should take all of us who bought a golden ticket out for dinner? Or maybe do a private gig just for us? Maybe you could actually sit on the stage for that one... Maybe they should fly you first-class to Los Angeles and let you raid their homes / recording studio for souvenirs...?

You know, I reckon that if you discovered a massive pile of money in your loft you'd complain twice about it; firstly that you had to count it, and secondly that Ron didn't send one the roadies round to take it to the bank for you...

"I've got every one of your records, man, doesn't that mean that I own you...?"

Last edited by MarkRae on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
powpowpow
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is literally the most ungrateful post i have ever read on these forums

being mugged and london transport problems are everyday occurrences in london, what the hell does it have to do with sparks?

also, gigs are gigs are gigs - there are going to be pushy idiots at every single one. i've had people push past me countless times. at the end of the day you just fight your ground. how are they to know how special you are?
binaryRooster
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i am genuinely sorry that you were nearly mugged twice and suffered transport problems, i feel that a quick letter to Boris Johnson may be more appropriate than complaining here.
What i do object to is this ridiculous branding of fans that you use. How can you call one person who bought a ticket to see a gig a "TRUE" fan and another a "non-fan"?? Being pushed at gigs is aggravating but i don't see how you feel you can catergorise these people as being an inferior Sparks fan to you because of it.
Because of the financial aspect, i'm only going to see four of the 21 gigs - does that mean i enjoyed them any less than you?? Does the fact you have more money than me mean you love the music more?? The only resolution to your request i can think of is to put a "golden circle" at the front of the stage for these chosen people (once we've deemed whose worthy to actually go in it. Maybe the ability to quote old b side lyrics and produce gig tickets from the 70's??) and when stuff like that happens in small venues, we may as well give up on live music.
Sorry about the tone, but i've seen a couple of astounding gigs and i'm sure i'm going to see a couple more. What this band has achieved in playing all their albums with such love and enthusiasm, blew me away. What more do you actually want them to give you than that??? This is actually reminded me of when Hancock wanted a badge for being a blood donor...
i really hope you enjoy tomorrow and friday without any distractions.
Charlie Bucket
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YevYBsShxNs
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Das ist nicht zu fassen!

This thread went from the ridiculous to the sublime Mahnamahna!
If you live in London, how can it have cost you 5 x 350 quid to travel to and from Islington or are you staying over at the Ritz? Some people have travelled from Australia to see these shows and they're not complaining! Lots of people couldn't make mid-week shows due to work. Presumably anyone who sees all 21 shows, either lives within commuting distance or has taken a month off work!

As for being pushed to the back, are you a man or a mouse? You can move can't you? As people vacate a spot to go to the bar/toilet, move into the gap. Move to allow people to pass behind instead of in front of you. If somebody moves forward past you, pretend you're with them and follow them. Standard crowd tactics really.

It's really got nothing to do with Sparks. They have put on this amazing extravaganza for us and we should be grateful just for that. I think it must warrant an entry into the Guinness Book of Records.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to give a harsh response to this thread.There are some above mine and rightfully so.What i will say is-unless my ears are playing me up i hear Russell on a nightly basis thank the ones that are turning out for the less well known albums.He says it with a warm sincerity also.There you go you see.You got mugged or you did'nt,there's no nearly.On with the show.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjadey wrote:
Presumably anyone who sees all 21 shows, either lives within commuting distance or has taken a month off work!

In my case, the former. I'm unbelievably fortunate in that Sparks decided to stage this in the city I live in, but also to stage the first 20 shows very close to where I live. They had to stage them somewhere, and London was, perhaps, the obvious choice...

So the shows have cost me £350 (+ fees) for the Golden Ticket, plus about another hundred quid for a monthly Oyster travelcard...
veryoldfan
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bizzare request.

I would quite like it if Russell gave me a foot massage after every gig whilst Ron served me cocktails and read me poetry but, back in the real world.......

I am lucky in that this experience has only cost me, in financial terms, the cost of the golden ticket as I commute to London for work anyway. The only additional cost to me has been physical (I am totally knackered and have the sore throat etc etc ). Tho' I suppose it may cost me my job if my boss ever finds out how little work I've done over this last month!

As a confirmed misanthropist I feel it is my duty to tell you that people are, on the whole, b@st@rds. I'm sure we've all encountered plenty of rude, selfish and plain stupid behaviour at the gigs, I know I have, but that is hardly the fault of the band it's just the nature of the human race.

Although I'm not sure I go along with the idea that R&R are primarily doing this "for the fans" - personally I think they are doing it to get as much exposure/publicity as possible and why not, they deserve it - we are undoubtedly benefitting. I wouldn't have missed this experience for anything and I am so glad that I've been fortunate enough to be there every night (OK, every night except one. I tried). It's the best £350 I've ever spent and I don't feel in any way hard done by. I can look after myself, I don't think it is Ron and Russell's job.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veryoldfan wrote:
I'm sure we've all encountered plenty of rude, selfish and plain stupid behaviour at the gigs, I know I have, but that is hardly the fault of the band it's just the nature of the human race.

I'd go as far as to say that anyone who thinks any of the 21x21 gigs have been in any way rowdy probably hasn't been to very many gigs...

AFAIK there have been no brawls, no stage diving, no missiles (apart from flowers, socks and T-shirts), and I don't recall anyone being thrown out by the bouncers...
You've Got Mael
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL, Charlie! That video pretty much sums it up!
T.N.K.
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
I'd go as far as to say that anyone who thinks any of the 21x21 gigs have been in any way rowdy probably hasn't been to very many gigs...

I remember at the first Hello Young Lovers London show being perplexed by a young woman near the front who was complaining loudly about the people around her, the heat, the squash, the noise of the PA. Yet there was nothing untoward going on near her at all, and it seemingly wasn't too loud for anybody else! I thought it was a shame she wasn't enjoying herself and was spoiling it for those nearby, and that she was someone who hadn't been to many concerts of any kind. I guess a positive way of looking at ti is it's a tribute to Sparks that their crowd is not a typical gig-going one. People who arrive late and then barge away someone who politely got their spot at the front early are shits.
Small
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:

AFAIK there have been no brawls

It kicked off once at Kimono, and once at Woofer (I think), but it was just little scuffles and the bouncer sorted them out.

I would point anyone who thinks these shows have been overly rowdy to this article and consider what sort of seventh circle of Hell they may face, should Sparks fans ever go Juggalo.
binaryRooster
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we can get them to come to Islington next time??

Over the (many) years, i've experienced much gig brutality: people landing on my head diving off the stage, people just hitting the folks who were lucky enough to be standing next to them and cans and bottles flying through the air like a modern take on the battle of Agincourt. In light of this, i've always found the Sparks crowd a joy to be with!
It's also nice to not feel like i'd just come to pick my kids up from the school disco which was what it was like when i saw Crystal Castles recently :P
DeeDee
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who on earth are you fatherjack?

I have sobbed daily for the last four weeks for not being able to be there. I had my trip planned in January but for various 'reasons' my dream could not be fulfilled.

However had I realised back then how these 'reasons' would be subsequently thrown back in my face and become inconsequential then I would have been at every concert and there would not be one word of complaint from me.

I don't know how you can measure a 'TRUE' fan - I am sure some geek could come up with a mathematical equation.

Be grateful that you had the opportunity to be there - and I too believe I have heard Russell express his thanks EVERY NIGHT to everyone attending.

Get a grip fatherjack ... or get a therapist!
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDee wrote:
I don't know how you can measure a 'TRUE' fan!

Russell answered this question several years ago, quoting from a review in one of the music papers:

"The thing about being a Sparks fan is knowing that you are right and everyone else is wrong."
unprinted
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only complaint I have is that some fans are a bit tall :) Apart from that, even the crowded nights have been a delight to be at - even in the middle of the crowd, there's been no problems with people crashing around...
You've Got Mael
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by You've Got Mael on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still nearly reeling from the fact that someone was nearly mugged...not once but twice(...which is actually nearly three times....)I am very nearly shocked to my very core...or something that is nearly my core.
All things considered...being in the audience is nearly on stage...so we should all be nearly grateful...
.....in case anyone disagrees...this post was nearly funny!!!
sparksfanlm
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDee wrote:
I have sobbed daily for the last four weeks for not being able to be there. I had my trip planned in January but for various 'reasons' my dream could not be fulfiled

Be grateful that you had the opportunity to be there - and I too believe I have heard Russell express his thanks EVERY NIGHT to everyone attending.

Yeah, I totally agree. And I share your pain DeeDee, I wish I could have made it to all 21 shows, but due to lack of finances, I was only able to make it to two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: