SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...20)Hello Young Lovers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thermaland
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this one online and had to stop myself from cheering the musicians in my bedroom! Wow. So the Academy run is over....

To think some acts out there play their classic stuff over and over again at Vegas or on the festival circuit, and these guys relearned everything just for the one performance...
gerrykelly7
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Profile and sounded gr8.
tackydaughter
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermaland wrote:
I watched this one online and had to stop myself from cheering the musicians in my bedroom!

I cheered and then felt pretty upset about it all being nearly over and my fiancé had to console me.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back home.

Another superb gig! Not one of my favourite Sparks albums, but they certainly did it justice tonight. Obviously with all the backing tracks, and Ron playing only about 50% of the time, it was more of a show than a gig, but still excellent. Another sizeable crowd at around 450.

Highlights for me were DA and TNSTAA, and Profile was superb too.

Well, that's it for the Carling Academy, which has felt like my second home since 16 May!

Really looking forward to Friday...
rainbow
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh guys, it was awsome!! A feast for the eye and the ear. What a masterpiece! I think Dick Around must be the greatest Sparks song EVER.
Great Hug of Tammy and Ron indeed, moving. An evening of highs only
(I have been high...) It was the last one for me, I have to miss the end (and missed the start, concert 1) because of work and an appointment... hope to catch up later, maybe recordings. I am so curious of the second part....ansd how they play Exotic of course.
WOW WHAT AN INCREDIBLE BAND SPARKS IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haydn60 wrote:
Interesting. Russell now refuses to call the US "the land of the free."

Yes I noticed that but I couldn't quite make out what he'd replaced it with...
Tvcoahran
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROFILE! DAMMIT! I love that song
rileyrempel
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, once again it’s really difficult to pick a highlight from this show. Waterproof is my favorite song on the album, but Metaphor really rocked tonight. Aw man, everything was so great. And Profile – I didn’t expect to hear that either! That’s in the top 5 list of most difficult Sparks songs to sing. It’s also in my top 10 list of songs I freaked out over instantly.
I was thinking about something while I was watching the show – and it’s gonna be really hard to articulate, but I’ll give it a try. I love the early version of Sparks…Russell wearing tennis shorts and making kissy faces at the camera – Ron raising his eyebrows like a serial killer. That was awesome. They had a lot of confidence back then, but it was kind of a youthful confidence, you know? Now they have this air of self-possession - and they’re taking big risks with their music and their live shows as well. I’ve been a Sparks fan for a very long time, and I feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to see these shows through the webcast. I don’t know about you, but I’d love to see what they’d come up with 20 years from now!
rileyrempel
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - yeah, right. I knew I'd forget to say something. Was it the same person/company who did the background projections for Beethoven/Lovers? Both were really great - they added a lot to the show. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
Andy Whelan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another cracking performance, and as with Lil' Beethoven I thought it transferred really well to a smaller venue.

Highlights for me were Metaphor (with audience participation) and Rock, Rock, Rock (which always reminds me of Captain Rock To The Future Shock, for any 80s electro fans...).

I can't believe the 20 shows in Islington have now finished. It felt a bit odd coming home for the last time from there, like something you don't want to finish has come to an end - a chapter rather than a book I hope.

Well, at least there's still Friday at SBE...
dafom
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the stream. What a great show... and seeing the musicians at the end, you got a real feeling of accomplishment. Cute to see Tammy and Ron hugging.

Kids, ya done good.
Charlie Bucket
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its 6.30 AM and Ive just got home, ended up sitting at Gatwick for 3 hours due to some ill informed train personnel and I couldnt care less, tonights show was worth every second of it. What a wonderful way to end the Islington gigs, a great sing along album (WERE UP FOR A METAPHOR!!) with a wonderful party atmosphere.

The only downside? My pussy broke before I could wear it, tried to salvage it but not much luck :(
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Bucket wrote:
My pussy broke before I could wear it, tried to salvage it but not much luck :(

Yeah, that's always annoying, isn't it?

I was standing behind Ian Hampton at the back bar tonight and he was singing along to all the songs. He played bass on the original Profile, of course.
T.N.K.
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Bucket wrote:
My pussy broke before I could wear it, tried to salvage it but not much luck..(

Quote of the day!

Well, a mighty fine show, mighty fine. Feeling sad it's all over, but so glad they made it.

I watched Russell instead of Ron during Rock Rock Rock this time around and he was doing cool exaggerated reaction to Ron's feedback, pretending it was giving him a fright - beautiful.

It's a real hypnotic album, darker than Lil Beethoven, I was lost in the music - Notre Dame has become my favourite track in recent months, and Russell's final chant of the word "..hallelujah.." was amazing, so intense.

Congratulations Sparks, I wish everything for you in life, work, success - truly special artists, a truly special band.

Hello Young Lovers!

Goodbye Old Friends!

Until Friday, anyway!
Small
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How were the Electric Soft Parade? I've been meaning to see them since about 2001, and have never managed it. I was only down the road and contemplated rushing over to see five minutes of them before heading back to play my own gig (which was probably worth missing Sparks for, if I'm honest). Still, I'm sad to have missed Profile!
T.N.K.
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:
How were the Electric Soft Parade?

The guy who came on at the end of their set and sang Moonraker was brilliant, what a beautiful voice and performance - I didn't catch his name.
Small
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about something while I was watching the show – and it’s gonna be really hard to articulate, but I’ll give it a try. I love the early version of Sparks…Russell wearing tennis shorts and making kissy faces at the camera – Ron raising his eyebrows like a serial killer. That was awesome. They had a lot of confidence back then, but it was kind of a youthful confidence, you know? Now they have this air of self-possession - and they’re taking big risks with their music and their live shows as well. I’ve been a Sparks fan for a very long time, and I feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to see these shows through the webcast. I don’t know about you, but I’d love to see what they’d come up with 20 years from now![/quote]

Well stated! I agree with your analysis. I think they've grown up - they are now senior citizens in the business, respected pros - and this is reflected in everything they do. They also have incredibly high standards and are clearly dedicated to maintaining them at all costs.

To me the question, as I posed it earlier, is: whoever heard of a band essentially inventing its own genre, and then refining and mastering it in the course of three albums??
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Profile' completed the picture for me, but I was quite sad at the end as its almost all over . Thought they might finish with 'Islington N1'. W12 here we come. Cant wait.....

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
sean's sparks thing
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Yet another great performance of yet another great album.
We've been truly spoiled this last month and tomorrow is the crowning glory, it's going to be really special.

I fear we shall not see their like again...
nickmellish
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.N.K. wrote:
Noisy Boy wrote:
How were the Electric Soft Parade?

The guy who came on at the end of their set and sang Moonraker was brilliant, what a beautiful voice and performance - I didn't catch his name.

Stuart Flynn, I believe.

Fantastic, wasn't he?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: