SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...Exotic creatures of the deep
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Private Pike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite simply, Sparks were triumphant!
Orange
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep it simple: ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT - without doubt best Sparks concert I've been to. The visuals were entertaining as always and 'Goofing Off' and 'This Town' had me jumping up and down like a raving loony Please, please, please... we NEED this on dvd!!
Joe Stunner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sublime concert from a unique and utterly wonderful artistic force. Christ, I love this band! When I think how much pleasure and creative inspiration they've given me over the last 35 years, I should really leave them something in my will...and I would, if I had anything worth leaving.

Friday's highpoints? Ah, that's a moot point. The whole damn thing was astounding, especially the props and performance art that accompanied the brilliant rendition of the new album. The encore was great too. I was particularly glad they played "Katehrine Hepburn", "Get in the Swing", and "Looks, Looks, Looks". And yes, the album sleeve "burning" at the end of the first half was so poignantly symbolic. What a beautiful evening! I'm actually getting quite emotional even thinking about it now.

By the way, I've posted a few videos on YouTube. Neither quality nor sound are great, but hey, it's Sparks! Ron Playing
Thermaland
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just remembered another great moment of Friday's show, which was Russell's impression of a journalist asking "whatsitliketoworkwithyourbrother?" in a really stupid voice...
Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Stunner wrote:
A sublime concert from a unique and utterly wonderful artistic force. Christ, I love this band! When I think how much pleasure and creative inspiration they've given me over the last 35 years, I should really leave them something in my will...and I would, if I had anything worth leaving.

Friday's highpoints? Ah, that's a moot point. The whole damn thing was astounding, especially the props and performance art that accompanied the brilliant rendition of the new album. The encore was great too. I was particularly glad they played "Katehrine Hepburn", "Get in the Swing", and "Looks, Looks, Looks". And yes, the album sleeve "burning" at the end of the first half was so poignantly symbolic. What a beautiful evening! I'm actually getting quite emotional even thinking about it now.

Yes, that pretty much covers it.
It was an astounding achievement.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermaland wrote:
I have just remembered another great moment of Friday's show, which was Russell's impression of a journalist asking "whatsitliketoworkwithyourbrother?" in a really stupid voice...

Yeah, that was great. Almost as great as the moment when Ron moved in a slightly unusual way; I loved that...
BritSwedeGuy
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Definitely an event of a lifetime - thank-you Sparks!
Interesting to read the 'behind the scenes' account
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/tour_diary/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003805766
which just makes it all the more amazing an achievement.
Will the music press now sit up and take notice?
Probably only if they start taking crack, unfortunately.

BTW, a friend of mine is friends with Jim, so I've asked her to pass on our thanks.

Last edited by BritSwedeGuy on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
sean's sparks thing
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Triumph Reply with quote

What a show!

It all went by SO fast...just want to say a very large thank you to Ron/Russell the band and crew (and crowd!) for providing us with a truly unique and wonderful event.

Here's to the future!..the Future!!!
BritSwedeGuy
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suburban Homeboy wrote:
That second set is kind of a classic example of why it's not a good idea to let the hardcore fans vote for what a band plays, though....

I know what you mean, Steven Nistor said as much in his blog,
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/tour_diary/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003805766
We had no time to rehearse the B-sides set, which I was totally nervous about (Sparks fans voted on the Sparks online forum on what the song list for the second set of this show would be). Of course, it turned into a pissing contest of who knew the most obscure Sparks songs, and we were to play them.
We were sat upstairs and the sound was superb, as was the ease of getting to the bar
Glad they did Shopping Mall, Batteries and Whippings were a real treat, shame there was no Something for the girl but we've no-one to blame but ourselves for that!
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love his blog. There's enough of a disconnection from the band/ music to have a nice objective viewpoint. And I'm amused at his description of the ultimate encore vote as 'a pissing contest'. Hah.

Also revelatory to see they didn't rehearse the second half of the set - to me that was one of the most polished performances of the whole run, and I was convinced the band must've spent hours practicing on Friday day. So, to do such a brilliant set with no rehearsal only increases my respect for the band tenfold (and the horn players)!

Interesting footnote about replacing Big Boy with Do Re Mi too!
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree NB. It's been great reading the blog.

It could only have worked as a selection of what we voted for and what they wanted. I was more than happy that BB made it to the 2nd half. I actually felt more at ease dancing about on that night, possibly because it was the last night and who would care if you look like the audience drunk?
flamingkitties
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My videos are now up at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUntrainedEye
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: This Town Ain't Being Played Shock! Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if this will be the first concert in years where they don't perform "This Town"???

Quote:
That'd be great. But I bet they bring it out for the encore.

Yeah! That would have been real cool.
Joy
Joy
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: No Moon Reply with quote

Quote:
But they must do Moon over Kentucky!

I was still thinking that on the train all the way home.

If I'd voted for Moon instead of Marry Me it would have been in first place on it's own.

The nearest it got was the moon on the video screen to Strange Animal.

Don't really understand the point of all that voting or Russell's own choices like A Song That Sings Itself and The Decline and Fall Of Me.

I'm even starting to sound like the Decline and Fall of Me.

Joy
Joy
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Vote Reply with quote

It's like voting for a Primeminister and then getting someone no-one has voted for.

THAT WILL NEVEN HAPPIN IN LONDON! NOT EVER!

Joy
Joy
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: What? Reply with quote

Quote:
Very nice sendoff show.... what an amazing concept this whole 21 shows thing has been. That second set is kind of a classic example of why it's not a good idea to let the hardcore fans vote for what a band plays, though.... the choices were lacking considering what could have been.

Nothing in the world can justify "Shopping Mall Of Love".... that just put such an unbelievably bad taste in my mouth that I had to post. Are you people freaking serious?!?!!?

Suburban Homeboy

Joy
Joy
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: No Moon Reply with quote

Quote:
WHY did they skip over MOON OVER KENTUCKY?? It was most voted for!

Rainbow

Because they can. I suppose.

Just wish they hadn't run the voting. I thought it was something they'd take seriously.

Joy
Joy
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: No Moon Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m just so surprised that “Moon Over Kentucky” wasn’t chosen though seeing as it was one of the most requested. It should have had an airing but there’s always next time.

Okay that's enough on to the
Joy
Joy
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Get In The Swing Pal! Reply with quote

Shpping Mall chosen over Moon of Kentucky (or several other top songs from our chart or Russell's own play list) the bass sound and the fact that although I'm six feet tall I couldn't see very much even from the centre of about the sixth row.

Onto the positives...

I really enjoyed ECOTD. It's really changed my view about this album.

Goofing off (wouldn't it have been great back to back with Dick Around?)

Get in the Swing and Looks, Looks, Looks.

Batteries Not Included and Change

Russell's voice and all the talent within the band.

All in all these shows have been bloody splendid. Call out the Guiness record breakers.

I've really enjoyed my pub crawls in Islington too (even went back again on saturday). The Charles Lamb on Eliar Street gets my vote.

And get me a time machine I want to do this all again with more gigs this time.

Joy
Joy
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: No Moon Reply with quote

Tj Sundown wrote:

Just wish they hadn't run the voting. I thought it was something they'd take seriously.

Take seriously? Are YOU serious mate? Of course they took it seriously but they're not performing monkeys (cover art pun). They said the votes would form the basis of the set, the BASIS... They've every right to choose their favourites from the votes and to add in a few they feel like doing that weren't voted for too. Christ almighty, ok so you wanted to hear a particular song and they decided not to play it and you're disappointed (fair enough) but really, after all that's happened over these last two months, you've hardly been cheated out of something now have you?

No other band would have taken on this project in a million years, without a doubt we're the luckiest fans in the world. I've got to be honest and tell you I find this sort of quibble most irksome... as if that wasn't quite obvious already.

But each to their own. You obviously feel it's important enough to linger on, I just think it's a shame to bring up such a small gripe in the face of such a wonderful experience, that's all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: