SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing it again?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unprinted
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Doing it again? Reply with quote

Probably emotion getting the better of him, but oooooh, the possibility.

Mind you, if they were to do it again, I'd suggest '21 (or 22, if they wait that long) albums in 11 nights' - pair up the albums, one popular and one less so, and do two per night.

That way, the less well-known ones get the audience they deserve and people get to appreciate the albums they wouldn't otherwise have gone to. I wouldn't have gone to Interior Design, for example, and that was fabulous live.

And then, in a few years, we can have '25 albums in one day' as probably the only way to really top this.
BigManRestless
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a purely selfish way I hope they don't do it again. How could they possibly top the novelty of it? As a one-off event it was a sensation. Doing it again would dilute that.

And anyway I'm not sure I could afford it
lost in space
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigManRestless wrote:
In a purely selfish way I hope they don't do it again. How could they possibly top the novelty of it? As a one-off event it was a sensation. Doing it again would dilute that.

And anyway I'm not sure I could afford it

I kind of agree with that... much better an idea that they do future albums with a big fat encore set as a second half of the show like last night so you can enjoy a bit of the very varied repotoir they have.
and maybe thats the problem!
Thermaland
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they will do it again. It was really a tremendous achievement. Practicing and memorising all these songs is a formidable task. Plus they had to hire musicians for months and months of rehearsal, the logistics must have been quite something. Their only hope is to take it to Vegas where this sort of thing is routine...
Dan from Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with most everything posted on this thread thus far. "Let's do it again," as an expression of the great experience, but not really meant to be taken seriously. The guys played their hearts out. It's something to always remember. They were marvelous.
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a londoner who has been to Vegas 15 times, I say BRING IT ON!
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After one of the last Islington shows Russell said they probably wouldn't be doing this again (to much laughter).
They love innovation so I suspect they'll be trying to think of a different concept for the next album.
Performing in the Space Shuttle perhaps...
swoon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: I just have the feeling Reply with quote

that ECOTD might be the last album they do.

You can't go on forever, well you can, but I think the guys would want to go out at the top of their game, and they are not getting any younger...

I've listened to ECOTD a couple of times, and as the trio of albums, it's good but feel it is the weakest of the three.

Where can they go from here? I don't think they can stretch these ideas any further without it becoming to obvious or samey. So do they invent a new sound, or go back to their early 70s routes with a full on assault of guitars, bass and drums?
hearse-queen
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I just have the feeling Reply with quote

[quote="swoon"]that ECOTD might be the last album they do.

You can't go on forever, well you can, but I think the guys would want to go out at the top of their game, and they are not getting any younger...

I've listened to ECOTD a couple of times, and as the trio of albums, it's good but feel it is the weakest of the three.

Where can they go from here? I don't think they can stretch these ideas any further without it becoming to obvious or samey. So do they invent a new sound, or go back to their early 70s routes with a full on assault of guitars, bass and drums?[/quote]

I really don't think that Exotic Creatures .... will be their last allbum and I don't consider it to be the weakest of the last 3 either. They still have lots of ideas on their minds, I'm sure of this. You say, they are not getting any younger, but , according to all the live shows I have seen over the past 5 years, they don't seem to get any older, don't they? Quite the opposite, i would say.

BTW, I would also go CRAZY about seeing them in Vegas !!!! I happen to be there at the end of november , so maybe ..... *****Live in Las Vegas***** !!!!!
Introducing Leo
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it is that any new Sparks album is always a nice surprise, but I wouldn't EXPECT anything from them at this stage in their career. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't do anymore either.

Does anyone know if they ever produce any other people's music? I've never heard any mentioned.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Introducing Leo wrote:
Does anyone know if they ever produce any other people's music? I've never heard any mentioned.

The encore on No1 in Heaven night was "Dancing is Dangerous" which R+R wrote and produced for Noel. It was never on a Sparks album/single.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Introducing Leo wrote:

Lio,Telex and Les Rita Mitsouko are often namechecked...rarely mentioned is Adrian Munsey's C'est Sheep...give it a listen..imo it sounds very ahead of it's 1979 release.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
Introducing Leo wrote:

Lio,Telex and Les Rita Mitsouko are often namechecked...rarely mentioned is Adrian Munsey's C'est Sheep...give it a listen..imo it sounds very ahead of it's 1979 release.

Oh, yes, I forgot that one. I have it on 12" vinyl.
T.N.K.
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: I just have the feeling Reply with quote

swoon wrote:

A friend of mine's father is a film director who made his first movie aged 48 after years as a college science teacher, his second movie won two international awards, so anything's possible!
Small
sean's sparks thing
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: I just have the feeling Reply with quote

hearse-queen wrote:
swoon wrote:
that ECOTD might be the last album they do.

Where can they go from here? I don't think they can stretch these ideas any further without it becoming to obvious or samey. So do they invent a new sound, or go back to their early 70s routes with a full on assault of guitars, bass and drums?

I really don't think that Exotic Creatures .... will be their last allbum and I don't consider it to be the weakest of the last 3 either. They still have lots of ideas on their minds, I'm sure of this. You say, they are not getting any younger, but , according to all the live shows I have seen over the past 5 years, they don't seem to get any older, don't they? Quite the opposite, i would say.

BTW, I would also go CRAZY about seeing them in Vegas !!!! I happen to be there at the end of november , so maybe ..... *****Live in Las Vegas***** !!!!!

Live in Vegas does have a very appealling ring to it...dancing girls, lights camera and plenty of action!
Re: Next album after the 'trilogy', well I would love a 14 track killer album featering all their varied sounds from over the years (electronics, guitars-bass-drum-rock, beats, slowies, quickies...etc)
I think if they could produce an album like the Beatles 'Revolver' (in terms of variation and length), then that would would just be the best thing in world!

Here's hopin'
De Sade
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely as they get older, it is more likely that the live shows 'decline and fall' away. As a studio act they are more than capable of producing startling product (imo all 3 of the last albums - little to chose bewteen them as they are so similar and so different) both as artists and producers. Having said that I am a going to call myself a liar because I thought Russell sounded and moved better than ever. I know its different live but he seemed much more energetic vocally and physically doing LB in Islington than on Stockholm DVD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: