SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how many people did all 21?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
powpowpow
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
powpowpow wrote:
You were probably the person travelling down on a regular basis for every show from the furthest distance.

I wonder if I was the incredibly fortunate attendee who had to travel the least distance...? 3.5 miles door to door, according to MapPoint...

i think i'm about 2 miles from the venue, kentish town to angel = 4 stops on the tube. but i know kermit lives in islington so i think he wins that prize..

and yeah i did the exhibition. which at most was about a mile from the venue. lucky stuff..
veryoldfan
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How many people at all 21 shows NEVER met any of the others???

I met quite a lot of people and went to the pub several times but I don't think I actually met you, Alex. (Or maybe I did, I have a terrible memory for that kind of thing. Indeed for any kind of thing.)
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powpowpow wrote:
I think i'm about 2 miles from the venue, kentish town to angel = 4 stops on the tube. but i know kermit lives in islington so i think he wins that prize..

Ah, well that's got me beat - Crouch End, AAMOI...
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spoke to 3 people i think over the course of the 21 shows - although i sometimes brought friends/family with me.
there was a nice irish lady who gave my boy some sweets!
i told an enthusiastic lady behind me that number one song in heaven was the best song in the world when she screamed.
and i was privileged to have a quick hello with ian hampton. what a polite gentleman.
other than that, i've worked out who bigman and andy whelan are...
Andy Whelan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themightybishop wrote:
i spoke to 3 people i think over the course of the 21 shows - although i sometimes brought friends/family with me.
there was a nice irish lady who gave my boy some sweets!
i told an enthusiastic lady behind me that number one song in heaven was the best song in the world when she screamed.
and i was privileged to have a quick hello with ian hampton. what a polite gentleman.
other than that, i've worked out who bigman and andy whelan are...

Glad to hear you've worked out who I am, do please let me know, I've been trying to work it out for 41 years...

I wasn't on my own for a fair few of the shows (Mrs Whelan herself made 5 of them), but, for those that I was, I didn't hang around afterwards, as I wasn't getting home until between 11.00pm and 11.30pm even leaving directly the show finished. Beforehand, particularly on work days, it was usually all I could do to get to the venue for showtime, perhaps grabbing some food (and a pint or two) somewhere first.

Anyway, I'm quite happy going to gigs on my own. I did chat to a few people in the venue, but I never made it to the EDVI - being a total real ale fan, it really isn't my sort of drinking establishment. My pubs of choice in the area were the Old Red Lion and the Crown - in both of which my Sparks t-shirts provoked conversations along the lines of "I didn't know they were still going...", "I remember them on Top of the Pops in the 1970s..." etc etc.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Whelan wrote:
I never made it to the EDVI - being a total real ale fan, it really isn't my sort of drinking establishment. My pubs of choice in the area were the Old Red Lion and the Crown - in both of which my Sparks t-shirts provoked conversations along the lines of "I didn't know they were still going...", "I remember them on Top of the Pops in the 1970s..." etc etc.

Agreed on all points.
sean's sparks thing
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: venue Reply with quote

It all fell quite nicely for me too in terms of getting to gigs, I live in crouch hill so one stop on the tube down from Finsbury Park and a stroll down upper street=Sparks!
I work in Brick Lane , so managed to check out the Bodhi exhibition a couple of times too,which was great!

My pal Robert works bang across from the venue so I guess he had the shortest distance to walk to the gigs?!

It all seems like some kind of dream now...
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: venue Reply with quote

sean's sparks thing wrote:
I live in Crouch Hill

Small world...
powpowpow
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: venue Reply with quote

tell me about it.. there can't have been any other band fanbase who've been exposed to such prolonged intensity. someone really should've made a documentary about the whole thing from start to aftermath. from band rehearsals through to this odd dreamlike loss that everyone's still experiencing weeks afterwards.. there should've been a psychological study at least.
rwolf'68
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray, hooray for YouTube......at least we can see many of the live performances there. But as far as seeing the new and dear friends we made, I for one, feel as if I may never see any of you again unless you visit me here.
Loreley
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwolf'68 wrote:
Hooray, hooray for YouTube......at least we can see many of the live performances there. But as far as seeing the new and dear friends we made, I for one, feel as if I may never see any of you again unless you visit me here.

Well then; Let's go to Hawaii, everybody!

Since: Pineapples & ukuleles = heaven
E-Clect-Eddy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwolf'68 wrote:

Oooh... in 2011 it will be 22x22

www.last.fm/user/E-Clect-Eddy
rwolf'68
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!! That would be so choice! Wonder if Sparks would even consider it! ? Doesn't have to be Hawaii, however it would be very convenient for me if it were. I'll try to rustle up some promoters. I think I've got a bit o' time to work something out here and that gives Ron & Russell some time to create a new album...........
. (well I can dream can't I?)
sean's sparks thing
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: venue Reply with quote

powpowpow wrote:

tell me about it.. there can't have been any other band fanbase who've been exposed to such prolonged intensity. someone really should've made a documentary about the whole thing from start to aftermath. from band rehearsals through to this odd dreamlike loss that everyone's still experiencing weeks afterwards.. there should've been a psychological study at least.

Yes, a documentary would have been a lovely thing... guess it would have been a big ask though, without someone commissioning it...and if a fan had done it would it have detracted from their enjoyment of the shows?
Hopefully someone,somewhere will do a retrospective or story so far with loads of great clips interviews etc!

P.s-Thanks again for doing a great job with the bodhi gallery, this went some way in externalising what people were feeling at the time!

It was a unique experience!
GARY JOHN BARRETT
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the utmost admiration for those who attended all 21. Staggering. I "only" did 8 and now feel extremely guilty for not having been to more, but circumstances wouldn't permit me.

Has anyone seen much, if any, publicity regarding the band's amazing feat after the whole extravaganza?
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone check if the event has been entered for inclusion in the Guinness Book Of Records???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: