SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rabarock 2008

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OuterSpace
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Rabarock 2008 Reply with quote

Some pics:
http://fotokala.ee/rabarock/?kat=Sparks%20(USA)
Green Dragon
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for pictures! But can anybody post MORE ?
kuraaka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I found a few more pictures at this address http://pilt.delfi.ee/en/album/74645/?page=15

but there are probably many others somewhere on the net as there were many people taking pictures. I must say that Sparks were very well received here in Estonia. Although most people here know Sparks by name, they are not quite aware of the band's past and its vast and diverse back catalogue. One person told me after the concert, "This band cannot exist. It is unbelievable that one band can maintain such a diversity". As it was a big outdoors festival (oh, the weather was abysmal that day, raining incessantly, but our suffering was well paid off by the excellent bands that day), most people attending were simply regular festival-goers and not fans as such, so it was a great opportunity for Sparks to reach a wider audience. And they did reach them. The crowd was most enthusiastic and it seemed that the band was also pleased by the reaction. So a big thanks to the band for coming here, it was magnificent, and Sparks has won many new fans here. I danced with all my friends to the final 'Suburban Homeboy'.
LightsOut
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link
kuraaka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't resist adding one more link here:

http://orants.planet.ee/rabakas/index12.html

I really like the picture with Ron and umbrella.
jill
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what Russell is saying here?
http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/432570
Missy
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This language drives me crazy! It's so near to ours, but still , I can't understand a word...
Too late for that
Too late for that
kuraaka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missy :) how come you don't understand Estonian. I understand Finnish almost perfectly (although I cannot speak it too well). But yes, I know, it is due to the Finnish TV, which I used to watch constantly. People from Southern Estonia, who have not had that many contacts with the Finnish language, usually cannot understand Finnish at all. So at a first glance the language looks perfectly strange indeed. But I remember that, while watching Finnish TV, the language came almost naturally, without any real effort. I had a small dictionary, which I sometimes checked for words. Finnish sounds beautiful, in my opinion. :)

But the article - the article did not contain any new information, really. I could translate, but I don't have that much time at the moment. Russell talked about the 21 concerts in London ('it has been great, everything has worked out really well, fans have been great), about the setlist for Rabarock ('probably a little bit of everything, but we'll try to include at least 5 songs from the new album'), about his relationship with his brother ('I get on with him really well, it's thanks to him that we have managed to stay together and come thus far' - 'so you're not like brother Gallaghers? - 'no, no, we work together really well'). Some bits were about Sparks always trying to re-invent themselves and Sparks being 'a British band from America'. The latter assumption was, of course, denied by Russell, who said that they do not perceive themselves as a part of any particular scene or location or country. They're simply the Sparks. So that's about it. :)
Missy
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, kuraaka, I understand some words of course and now when I had the time to concentrate on it, I think I understood a half of the article..."loodetavasti teeme vähemalt viis lugu uue plaadi pealt" must mean "probably we'll play at least five songs from our new album"...but I still have no idea what "hakkasin mõtlema" means...
BTW, nice to see an Estonian fan on this forum!
Too late for that
Too late for that
jill
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, kuraaka!
And one more thing, what was the discussion about "narkootikumid"?
Missy
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interviewer asked: Sparks and drugs? and they answered that they dont need any...?
Too late for that
Too late for that
kuraaka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell said they don't do drugs, honestly.

Then came a difficult bit, which I cannot translate well. It was also funny, as
the interviewer asked something like:
"So you _bullshit from your natural talent_?

Well, it is not as offensive as it might sound, as it was meant to be joke, and my translation of that line is not good. The interview was anyway conducted in English, unfortunately, I don't have a good idea what it might have been.

Anyway, the reply:
"Yes, if you put it that way. If we had depended on drugs, we would have been in a very big mess by now."

And, "hakkasin mõtlema" means "I began to think" (that you might play one song from each of the albums).

As a sidenote, there are many words in Estonian and Finnish that sound similar and look similar, but mean something entirely different. One of the best known jokes is of course 'kaikki ruumit on koristettu'. In Estonian (Kõik ruumid on koristatud) it would mean 'all rooms have been cleaned', but in Finnish it means 'all corpses have been decorated'. I guess everybody here knows it by now, but some Estonian hotel managers with little knowledge of Finnish definitely must have fallen into that trap at some point. :)
jill
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was nice!

Congrats, you seem to have had a very good time there :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AaNXN7ABFl0
Missy
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, kuraaka, for translation!
Too late for that
Too late for that
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma ei oska eesti keslt.... Thank you for letting us know how the spot in Estonia went, Kuraaka and of course Outerspace. Everyone wonders how the best and most under-rated band in the world is appreciated where they are playing. It seemed quite a celebration though the rain could rival that of Scotland. We will have to see if the Connect Festival than turn into a monsoon to better that. In Britain we hardly hear anything about the longstanding Scandanavian countries or the nascent Baltic countries, which have their own rich and distinct cultures worthy of attention. Estonia must be entering its teenage years - what fun! Rock on, rock on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: