SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPARKS ARE AT CONNECT FESTIVAL ON AUGUST 29
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way a crowd of you coming from Glasgow,could hire a little charabanc and designate a driver????It would save a lot of worry about bus/train timetables...probably work out a lot cheaper too.
Loreley
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds tempting.

But I bought a festival pass with a bus ticket included in the price, so I can't afford to not use it :P
PETER RAWCLIFFE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont want to put a dampener on it but i dont think sparks are a festival band,i think they are ideal with there own fans in 2,000 packed forum or shepherds bush concert halls,i dont think i could stand it if russell gets into `dick around` and two teenagers turn away as they fancy a hot dog because they dont know sparks,maybe im being cynical but i think The Mile End gig proved that sparks were the best band on show but the ignorant crowd where waiting for `Blur `,while in front of them russell was giving them the full works with `when do i get to sing my way`,they didnt even realise that they had just witnessed the best pop song ever made.Im not saying it wont be a fabulous day for sparks fans but its what you have to put up with that might annoy me.oh well back to my levitating baby video!
MiniPop MiniPop MiniPop
jill
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Peter: guess you're right, it's always irritating to stay next to such people when a band that you love is on the stage.
But this is a risk worth taking - "to preach for the unconverted", as the Maels said before Fuji Rock. There are people who may get to know and like Sparks thanks to such festivals... I'd like to think this is more important than the usual hot-dog eaters in the audience.
PETER RAWCLIFFE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately agree with you jill,if people are converted by the performance it has to be a winner,i think im probably thinking of where i would prefer to watch,each to there own i say and i do hope all the sparks fans have a great time though...would love to see an appearance on later with jools followed by a 6 date tour like gs&sv around the country on the release of Lighten up Morriissey,how they have never been on that show defies belief,but if you do get on the sales of your album can rocket,heres hoping Jill.
MiniPop
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at Mile end and the crowd was mainly a Brit Pop crowd.Sparks were obviously not what the vast majority of the crowd had come out to see.Blur were massive back then and were headlining.However for me to see Sparks play in front of 25,000 people outdoors in England was a great feeling.I felt so happy for them.Seem to remember Russell wearing a football goalkeepers shirt that day-maybe a German International one? I am always pleased when Sparks peform in front of large festival crowds.Lets have loads more fans onboard this wonderful ship.These messagboards need to be buzzing again,like they were at the time of 21x21 and the release of ECOTD.Chaos always rules on the boards.Lets hope after the Connect Festival that many more are converted and post on here.
E-Clect-Eddy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any band has to be a festival band in order to make contact with new faces... with a nice mix of crowd it can be lots of fun. Some might not come to see just SPARKS but renew their interest after seeing them once again. Sometimes a festival is in a place where a band has (hardly) ever played before.

Someone might not pay 25 pounds to see SPARKS live but will pay 50 pounds if they get to see SPARKS & 5 other bands!

Ofcourse it's not the same as a concert in a room filled with fans but that we can have or did have already. The festivals must be like an extra.

www.last.fm/user/E-Clect-Eddy
nekoyama
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only hope that Sparks will successfully earn a lot of converts at the fes.
The Japanese Sparks online community gained 100+ newbies after Fuji Rock Festival. Many mentioned it was their 1st time to get to see the band and were totally overwhelmed.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time Emily Eavis pulled her finger out and got Sparks on the bill at Glastonbury, as that gets a lot of exposure on the BBC. I too would love to see them on Later with Jools Holland. He has a pretty eclectic mix of acts on, from the very popular to the completely obscure, so perhaps Republic Media ought to try and get Sparks on the next series. Nominate Sparks for the Mercury award.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe republic have already tried.
PETER RAWCLIFFE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LATER WITH JOOLS IS THE BEST EXPOSURE SPARKS WILL GET,IT GOES OUT TO MILLIONS TWICE A WEEK,MUCH BETTER THAN A FEW THOUSAND IN A FIELD WITH ABOUT 100 DIEHARD SPAKS FANS,WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE EVERYONE.

sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PETER RAWCLIFFE wrote:
LATER WITH JOOLS IS THE BEST EXPOSURE SPARKS WILL GET,IT GOES OUT TO MILLIONS TWICE A WEEK,MUCH BETTER THAN A FEW THOUSAND IN A FIELD WITH ABOUT 100 DIEHARD SPAKS FANS,WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE EVERYONE.

Yes but it's not just the 120,000 people in the fields at Glastonbury. During the festival, it is being broadcast on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday on BBC2, BBC3, BBC4 and two channels via the Red button, then various repeats and highlights on the Red button channels during the following week, plus a best of Glastonbury on BBC2 the following weekend and it's all available on the BBC iPlayer for a week.

However, I would still prefer Sparks to appear on Later as I feel the viewers are more open to hearing new music from an eclectic range of artists.
PETER RAWCLIFFE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJADEY,what you would get at glastonbury is Mark Radcliffe coming into the studio saying he had just watched Sparks at the ??? stage and they were brilliant then some ignorant wannabe dj will then say lets watch the kooks,the red button will feature kooks,verve,duffy and other so called "cool" bands that radio ! tediously promote,honestly mate i know how the bbc work,its shit(remember Dick Around), just keep giving your support to sparks like you do thats all you can do,you will get frustrated otherwise.i do things like send emails into janice long to play new releases like lighten up,and to be fair to her she nearly always plays it and mentions your name,along with jonathon ross,mark radcliffe and simon mayo they are the only ones who help Sparks,even then i think there restricted by people above them.
sparksfanlm
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PETER RAWCLIFFE wrote:
(remember Dick Around).

That was terrible when the BBC didn't play it, wasn't it? I felt so sorry for Ron and Russ, they must have been mad as hell. When will the rest of the world wake up to their greatness?
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PETER RAWCLIFFE wrote:
SJADEY,what you would get at glastonbury is Mark Radcliffe coming into the studio saying he had just watched Sparks at the ??? stage and they were brilliant then some ignorant wannabe dj will then say lets watch the kooks,the red button will feature kooks,verve,duffy and other so called "cool" bands that radio ! tediously promote,honestly mate i know how the bbc work,its shit(remember Dick Around), just keep giving your support to sparks like you do thats all you can do,you will get frustrated otherwise.i do things like send emails into janice long to play new releases like lighten up,and to be fair to her she nearly always plays it and mentions your name,along with jonathon ross,mark radcliffe and simon mayo they are the only ones who help Sparks,even then i think there restricted by people above them.

I'm inclined to agree with you about Radio 1 only being interested in the cool and new bands. I think Jo Whiley and Zane Lowe are obsessed by it, but that's the intention of Radio 1, which I still listen to daily. Whereas Radio 2 and it's batch of DJs cater for the over 30s mostly. However, the BBC coverage of Glastonbury had plenty of acts which you wouldn't hear on Radio 1. Last Friday (and Sunday) BBC4 showed an hour of Joan Armatrading's performance from the Jazz World stage on the Saturday at Glastonbury. BBC4 also repeated Neil Diamond's Sunday afternoon performance recently. Neither of these two are likely to be played on Radio 1, but quite likely on Radio 2. So Glastonbury isn't just about the Radio 1 demographic.
PETER RAWCLIFFE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparksfanlm,yes it was terrible what the bbc did with dick around,the amazing thing is they failed to see that it was an American term for doing nothing,also what makes Radio 1 worse is the `anything over 30 rule` which is stupid,if a record is good it doesnt matter if its the ting tins or Cliff Richard it should be given a chance,I stopped listening to radio 1 in the 90`s when they wouldnt play This Town aint big enough when they teamed up with Faith no more,I remember Simon Mayo started to play the song and the producer actually told him to take it off cause he didnt like it! Anyway it wont change its ways now,as long as Ron and Russ keep doing there thing and record companies back them thats o.k for me.Sjadey, I agree with your views as well,i think we all on here want whats best for Sparks.
MiniPop
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that radio1 does play lots of younger newer bands-which i have no problem with.Its great to keep up with todays talent.However Madonna is 30 plus a score and she gets plenty of airtime on radio1. Oasis always get a good deal with airplay,Paul Weller also-even though he is 25+ years past his best work imo..How old are Radiohead?-must be past 30.There are bands over 30 getting airplay,but i agree that the majority are'nt over 30.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my post, I meant Radio 2 is aimed at listeners over 30, rather than meaning Radio 1 doesn't play artists who are over 30.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sjadey.I was replying to Peters post.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know. I wasn't having a go; I just thought I'd clarify mine.

I think despite Madonna's age and years in the chart, she is still seen as current because she is always changing and she always makes good dance tunes, so still gets played in clubs, which appeals to under 35s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: