SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best gig memories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jill
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Best gig memories Reply with quote

Like all the Sparks fans (I suppose) who discovered them relatively late and haven't see them performing live, I love to find out as much as I can about past gigs, as seen through the eyes of people who have been there. What are your best and dearest memories about the Sparks gigs that you've seen? How were they in the '70s, in the '80s, in the '90s, a few years ago? Have you meet the Maels after a show or elsewhere? Which was THE Sparks gig for you?

Thanks to Peter and Re-Sparked.
PETER RAWCLIFFE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jill,As you know i answered already about meeting the legends,But the best gig for me was the `Balls` one at Shepherds bush empire,its hard to say one is better than another cause if you are a Sparks fan they are all good in different ways,But the balls one seemed to have a really friendly crowd and atmosphere,Ialso think the Shepherds Bush Empire was made for Sparks.
MiniPop
Angus_Desire
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story is rather controversial, but if my lady friend Tina is reading this thread then I'll let her tell the story too. ;-)

Basically, I hung around her after the show to be let backstage to meet Ron & Russell before they went out to meet the other fans. I got my vinyl albums signed by both of them and had a chat with them about some stuff that Sparks fans don't usually like discussing such as the "interior design" album as well as some spurious rumour mongers on the Mael-list. Russ just said "yeah, there are some very weird people out there!"

There was a very weird bunch of people in the audience ranging from gothic punk kids who mainly went to see the support act Gerling, a whole crowd of gay Gestapo types, some geeky types who (like me) brought virtually their entire collection to be signed, as well as some questionable forbidding looking types who creeped me out.

I tried to get a photo with Ron & Russ but their tour manager was quite rude and unfriendly towards me - maybe next time.

Since the Melbourne gig I've become very good friends with the lady I hung about with in order to meet the Mael brothers. We've only met twice once at the concert and once when she was in Brisbane on a family holiday, but we ring each other a lot and still get our kicks from reminiscing about that hot sweaty magical night in January 2001....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sparksfangroup
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jill
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this hilarious story in a comment on the I Predict video from Youtube...
Quote:
kfdave:
Love these guys!I had the pleasure of seeing them live twice in this era.First at the Anaheim Convention Center then at whatever the hell they call that amphitheater next to the O.C. fairgrounds (sorry,I left the O.C. 25 years ago). At Anaheim,between the opening act (the pre "Walk like an Egyptian" Bangles) and their set they came out in disguise as a cheesy lounge act singing (badly) Sparks songs.Costa Mesa?Well,you haven't lived unless you've seen Ron in a nun's habit lip syncing "Dominique".

I suppose Ron had used the English version of that song :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: