SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sparks to Play Valentine's Day in L.A.!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilzg2000
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have my ticket, i have my outfit, and I am ready for some Sparks goodness :) Only 5 and a half hours to go :)
Annika
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from the concert and it was AWESOME.
They first played ECOTD and then Kimono. Then i think it was 5 or 6 extra songs. Don't have the whole playlist and since i am tired and just want to go to sleep. It was a full house and it was a great crowd.
They did nor allow any pictures or recordings, but the last songs they allowed us to get close to the stage and i was lucky enough to be right up front. I was able to sneek in 1 and almost a second when somebody told me to turn it off :(. It was propaganda and BC (alost the whole song)
will as soon as i can put it up to see.
Anyways it was just great and will now go to sleep and come back to the forum tomorrow (my time) tired but HAPPY
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to rub it in for anyone who wasn't there, but yeah, I think it's entirely possible this was the greatest Sparks show of all time. The theatricality of ECOTD followed by the manic energy of Kimono, and then an eight-song encore somehow even BETTER than what I was hoping for. (Propaganda -> At Home, At Work, At Play -> BC -> No. 1 Song in Heaven -> Mickey Mouse When Do I Get To Sing My Way -> Dick Around -> Suburban Homeboy...I *think* that's the correct order.) Perfect selection of highlights from the different eras. AHAWAP is my favorite Sparks song, but No. 1 Song was the most magical moment for me. Also, Suburban Homeboy should be their permanent set-closer. What better way to end a show than with a feel-good singalong?

I also feel like this must've been literally the longest show they've ever played. Anyone know for sure? Over 3 hours, including intermission.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar you are bang on mate about the feel good factor of ending the show with a mass singalong Suburban Homeboy.Its a belter and makes me smile and sing badly out loud.Plus its quite a recent song with fun lyrics.In a proper World it would be no1 for 10 weeks.
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes. It was more than a show, it was a complete immersive experience. As someone said, they really know how to do their thing. Everything written so far is true. The contrast between the first and second halves - between ECOTD, and its theatircal production, and KMH, with its full throttle, rocking onslaught -was beyond words. I was with four people, three of whom had never been to a show before. They were convinced after ECOTD. I told them, "just wait."

needless to say, they came out for Kimono swinging for the fences. This town was charged up, sped up, intense, loud, and perfect. They maintained the intensity for the entire album. I've never thought of In My Family as one of the stronger tracks on the album; it really stood out to me though.

I think what it is is this BAND. These guys are something else, let me tell you. They were so tight and interwoven, and they brought out the intensity and awesomeness tha the songs deserved. And Ron and Russell, what is there to say?

Actually, it is worth a note about Russell. there is no question in my mind that his voice somehow got STRONGER as the show went on. And his energy level is almost SCARY. Keep in mnd - this was a THREE AND A HALF HOUR SHOW!!!! It seemed to me though that Russell could have gone on for another hour with no problem in the least. And when they invited everyone up front, well that did it. That concert hall was Rocking.

Everything was perfect and there are so many standouts I don't know where to start. I will say that in the final set, Dick Around was for me the one that left me speechless. Overwhelming, powerful, just a GREAT song.

Anyway, thanks again Ron and Russ. I brought my daughter with me and it was one of the greatest nights of her life. And it was for me too. It was a show that even in my increasingly advanced age, I'll not soon forget.

and of course, meeting all the great Sparks folks - always priceless.

Thanks again, Ron and Russ!
bwren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both my daughters with me for their very first concert ever. They know every song from ECOTD and loved the theatrics in addition to the music. They both say their favorite moment was Photoshop with Ron following around the moving piano, although I must say that I prefered the pregnant dancers.

They were a little discouraged with a couple songs they didn't know quite as well during the "encore" set, and my seven year old fell asleep during #1 in Heaven (can't blame her considering the length of the show). Dick Around got them both going again though, and by Suburban Homeboy they were both back singing along at full volume. I had my eleven year old screaming "she yo yos me, and I yo yo her back" in my ear.

I suppose the last show you saw slways seems like the best, but this was definitely the best Sparks show I've seen - and I've seen many over the years going all the way back to the Magic Mountain shows in the early 80s. I admit that I prefer Beethoven and Lovers to ECOTD, but considering the venue, the stage production, the quality of the band, and the energy of the crowd, this was hands down the best performance. I couldn't think of a better first concert for my girls to experience.
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/sparks.html

http://nedraggett.wordpress.com/2009/02/16/ron-and-russell-mael-take-their-bows-after-another-great-sparks-show/

http://tillagearts.blogspot.com/2009/02/sparks-valentines-show-glam-love-fest.html

http://blogs.laweekly.com/play/live-in-la/sparks-light-up-royce-hall-wit/

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
MJHSolomon
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 30+ years of missed opportunities and months of anticipation, I finally went to my first Sparks concert, and, WOW!!!! I'm honestly not exaggerating when I say that this is the BEST show I have ever experienced! Three hours of pure magic, like the most wonderful dream! I could not stop smiling, and apparently looked so continuously blissful that my 16-year-old daughter hugged me at the intermission and said, "Mom, I have never seen you so happy!" (Which is saying a lot, because I'm generally quite a cheerful person!)

And how cool is it that my daughter got to go to her first Sparks concert at the age I was when I discovered Sparks? She preferred the older material (which she has been hearing since she was a little kid), while our friend who went with us -- who knew very little about Sparks, despite growing up in L.A. -- much preferred ECOTD because of all the wonderful visuals. I'd have trouble picking a highlight, although "Equator" was absolutely glorious and "No. 1 Song in Heaven" was especially beautiful both musically and visually. The whole encore set was like a bonus gift, seeing as how we'd already been treated to two great albums!

I know my comments are echoing what many folks have already expressed, but I have to say that Russell is just so amazing -- he nailed every high note and was so bouncy that I thought he might fly right off the stage a couple of times! My companions feared he would collapse, as we could see the beads of sweat pretty clearly from our sixth-row seats. But he never ran out of energy, and he looked genuinely thrilled to be performing for the hometown crowd! Ron was especially great during ECOTD -- his expressions during "She Got Me Pregnant" were priceless and his pantomimes and screen interactions enhanced several songs. The band sounded perfect to me; I hope they stick around for a long time.

We probably should have arrived earlier and mingled more, but I did get to meet Monte and his daughter -- sorry we were at opposite ends of the rows! -- and I chatted with some folks who liked my "How Do You Get to Carnegie Hall?" T-shirt. The crowd was sooo cool, and we enjoyed looking around at all the lovely kimonos and other interesting ensembles and Sparks shirts. But the greatest thing about the audience was the total euphoria. My friend noted that despite not being a huge fan herself, she nonetheless felt the joy and energy, which, by the show's end, seemed like a religious experience! I'd have to agree.

So, here I am, back in Virginia, with so many lovely memories. Sigh. My heartfelt thanks to Russell, Ron and the entire band for giving this awestruck fan a night to cherish
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great note, MJH Solomon! It was wonderful meeting you too, and I loved reading your views of the show. I agree about everything!

Monte
rwolf'68
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even get to go and I am getting misty eyed here just reading all the words of praise for Ron & Russell, the best musical artists EVER. Are we the luckiest fans in the world or what?! Euphoria is the best word to describe the atmosphere at any Sparks gig. Got to see all 21 shows last summer so I know the feeling well!
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to read all of these happy threads.I never went but i am delighted that the tickets sold so well.
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:
Great to read all of these happy threads.I never went but i am delighted that the tickets sold so well.

Periodically during the show, I would look around. It was an intimate, but at the same time vast, hall. I would just look at every seat filled and I'd be so happy for Ron and Russ. It was (here's a surprise) an adoring crowd and Ron and Russ seemed so happy. For its part, the crowd was so into it and loving.

It was something else...
DeeDee
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am nearly four days after the event and I am still 'up here in heaven.' When friends and neighbours ask how it was I just grin inanely and utter fantastic and finally a justification of the word awesome.

I echo everything said by other concert goers. Royce Hall is absolutely stunning, a full house of adoring fans, to my amateur ears the sound was superb, and a center seat five rows back was brilliant - I had a crick in my neck from looking up at Russell all the time! It surpassed my wildest hopes for a home gig and I am filling up again thinking about it.

If Ron and Russell, and the rest of the band, had any nerves playing at home it certainly didn't show - they all seemed to be having a fantastic time. I am certainly listening to all the songs they played with a different perspective - even more enjoyable if that was at all possible. It was great that the crowd was so appreciative. I'm so happy for Ron and Russell. And all within staggering distance of their own front doors!

It was great before the gig meeting up with fans who clearly have a greater in depth knowledge of Sparks than I have - my family already think I am way over-obsessed as it is! And a huge thank you to Anne and Liz for giving me a ride back to my hotel when the Yellow Cab Co of LA seemed completely incapable of locating Royce Hall. Arnie - you need to get your taxi service sorted out before 'I'll be back.' (Unless Sparks play again before then of course.)

Looking forward to coming to London now - Four weeks, two days, hours subject to time difference ......
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Dee from Maryland! Mu daughter and I sat next to you at the show. Seems there's a few of us in the D.C. area - you, me, and Mary Jane, for starters.

It was REALLY great meeting you and as you know, we had as good a time as you did!

I think we DC folks need to stay in touch and do some kind of event "over the summer." And everyone's invited. Maybe Sparks will play the Kennedy Center! What a show THAT would be!

one final note - I too am still playing the show back in my head over and over and over. It was really something beyond description!
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review guys! Much appreciated by all of us who couldn't be there.

That point about feeling so many others know more about Sparks than me, is familiar to me. However, the more I've got into Sparks, the less its actually mattered. What sets Sparks above EVERY other band (please correct me if I'm wrong!!) is that they just get better and better and better.
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allydodd wrote:
Great review guys! Much appreciated by all of us who couldn't be there.

That point about feeling so many others know more about Sparks than me, is familiar to me. However, the more I've got into Sparks, the less its actually mattered. What sets Sparks above EVERY other band (please correct me if I'm wrong!!) is that they just get better and better and better.

You are not wrong. It's not just that they put out new music; it's that it evolves, it is always challenging, and it is always of the highest quality. What they've done on their past three albums is astounding.
Pim Derks
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of merchandise was on sale & at what prices? Have to know how much of my hard earned money I have to take to London ;)
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pim Derks wrote:
What kind of merchandise was on sale & at what prices? Have to know how much of my hard earned money I have to take to London ;)

This was my only disappointment for the evening. There was no T-Shirt - at least that I saw - that said Sparks - Royce Hall with the Date of the show and all that. A few older ones, a few CDS, lots of Kimono and ECOTD - but no T-Shirt just for the show.

If I'm wrong about that, someone please tell me! I really wanted one.

Monte
Miss Fierce
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pim Derks wrote:

The prices in L.A. were very good. I doubt it will be the same in London (probably double what we paid)!
MJHSolomon
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the merchandise, I spent $40 on a black hooded sweatshirt that says "Sparks" in big white letters, but the letters are kind of strange, and the shirt looks like it says "fparks." It was overpriced, but I didn't have any Sparks shirts, and I needed a new hoodie, so I splurged. It's cozy, and if even one person asks me what "fparks" means, it will be worth the money. I also got a "Balls" CD -- the new version with bonus tracks -- which was the only Sparks album I didn't have in any form. I think it was a reasonable $15. I don't understand why there wasn't a shirt created especially for that concert -- I'm sure every person there would have bought one!! My biggest disappointment was that the vendor ran out of 21x21 programmes before I could buy one, and they were cheaper than the price on the Web site. Those of you who have one, is it worth ordering for $20?

Changing topics, a shout out to the other D.C.-area Sparks fans! I love the idea of a summer event. A Sparks Kennedy Center concert would be perfect, but I'll settle for any venue here. Still, the Royce Hall gig will be nearly impossible to top. Like Monte, I'm still playing it over and over in my head and cannot believe my good fortune!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: