SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

London Forum Friday 20/3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kermit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone hasn't seen the thread in the Sparks Discussion Index I'm copy and pasting the details of a meet up for fans at the Edward VI in Islington on the days and nights of the gigs.......

EDDIE CONFIRMED!!!

Ok everyone, good news!! I've managed to confirmed meet ups at The Eddie again. They are delighted to see us back so a warm welcome will be assured. So once again it will be an opportunity for us all to meet up, chat and get in the swing BEFORE & AFTER the concerts on both Friday and Saturday. We'll start off from 3pm in the afternoon until people want to make their way up to The Forum. If we want to go back after the concerts then the upstairs room will be open for us to be able to play Sparks tunes. The bar is open until 2am on Friday and Saturday nights so that gives us time to get back from Kentish Town for a while after the gigs.

For those that don't know where the "Edward VI" bar is the address is:
25 Bromfield Street, Islington, London, N1 OPZ
Tel no. 020 7704 0745

Once again there is a single decker red bus, The 214, which goes from Pentonville Road straight to the Forum or get the tube from Angel on the Northern Line to Kentish Town going North. Journey takes about 20 mins.
Alternatively you could always easily get 5 in a black cab and share the costs of a taxi and go in a bit of luxury!!

Again, please remember the Eddie is a Gay bar so if anyone has a problem with that then feel free to make your own arrangements to meet up elsewhere. Everyone else please respect the locals but I'm sure everyone that came to the meet ups before will agree we were given a very warm welcome by all. Let's hope the weather will be nice and so we'll be able to use the outdoor garden for smokers and a bit of a fresh air. Please remember to get your drinks downstairs first but then come upstairs to meet up with everyone. I expect the Friday will be less busy as people will have to be working but for those coming in to town especially it will give you all something to do for a few hours.

So I look forward to seeing you all again and please spread the word to anyone you know who might not be readers of the forum!!

See you all soon and enjoy the concerts!!!
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it - 51 more sleeps
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, we are sorted now but where we can park our Porsche. Dont want it getting knocked about as it is my baby. Is there any where near the venue or is it best we come on the tube. (BTW to the self doubters out there it is a black Carrera 911 and the reg is CAL111.
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks etiquette? My knee jerk reaction was to say none. However, on reflection, there might be one or two ground rules that should be unearthed from experience and raised for everyone's attention.

One observation is when Ron speaks, everyone listens. Ron doesn't speak very often but when he does, it is always worth hearing. Everyone otherwise ought to be noisey all the time. During one particularly exciting 21x21 gig one poor lad discovered how to make the most dreadful faux pas in a Sparks concert. Ron had shuffled up to the mike at the end of the concert and began talking, with a hesitancy puntuating thoughtful precision. Suddenly the pregnant silence was broke by this over excited bellowing of praise "BECAUSE YOU'RE ****ING BRILLIANT!!!". With his sentence cut off, Ron lost his thread, shrugged, buried his hands in pockets and walked off. Everyone just glared accusingly at the guy whose face changed like colour like a traffic light. Of course, all was quickly forgiven in the Eddie but everyone knew never to interupt thereafter.

I recall other areas of contention such as throwing underwear a couple of years ago, but I don't know if some code of etiquette was ever established. I only possess one pair of long johns (which are too awkward to discard quickly) so the practice doesn't really apply to me. Anyway, it seems to have been resolved by colourful socks being brought for dynamite drummer Steven Nistor.

And when guitar ace (and all round mister nice guy) Jim Wilson is introduced by Russell at the end of the show, it is customary also to chant "Jim" repeatedly.

I must confess that I did blissfully break a good few potential Sparks rules of etiquette during the Spectacular 21x21. In fact these are probably numerous enough to be worthy of a seperate thread, which I'll decline to start.........
rod
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the "thumbs up" for Jim Wilson, he loves it!
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park it next to our push bike-i will be croggying my missus there-pretty damn knackering as well.You can't miss it our reg plate is Skintasell.....
veryoldfan
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does someone who is 6'4" need to queue at all?
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time ago I had a gf with a Porsche, after about 6 months she got so fed up that she couldn't park it anywhere without people running their keys down the side that she got rid of it and went back to a "normal" car...

"Everyone otherwise ought to be noisey all the time" Noisy boys are happy boys usw
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the thumbs up for Jim!

A few more -

If you bump into Russell in the local Boots looking at own brand hair products, don't ask his age. He is "Forever Young" and his performance will prove it!

Don't deafen everyone by shouting out the title of your favourite song, especially during the new album. If its not on their (well rehearsed) playlist, these perfectionists simply won't play it.

Reacquaint yourself with the titles of your dusty vinyl collection before heading to a Sparks gig. You may find yourself having a pint with a fellow Sparks devotee who just happens to be pop legend responsible for an excellent album that was never off the turntable a few years ago. Having a "senior moment" unable to recall anything about a classic album to its writer is very embarrassing.

Do what Sue says. She is the efficient blonde lady who organises everything, and can be quite scary when looking after R&R.

Do join in with the actions to "I Can't Believe That You Would Fall For All The Crap In This Song". Its easy. Audience participation worked for Freddy and Co, who launched their career by emulating Sparks' inventiveness. For those yet unfamiliar, you'll find a demonstration is available on a short clip of a gig on youtube.

Don't skelp any sharp suited TV presenters standing at the bar, no matter how deserving it may seem at the time. Simply be polite if spoken to. Just don't give out your telephone number.

Do engage with strangers curious about Sparks (though only when utterley convinced they aren't merely after your body)

In the light of recent posts, do let wee people a little space under your chin. A Sparks night is a special night for all to enjoy!

And, if the amazingly acrobatic Michael does appear, don't criticise the lovely guy for bouncing ten feet in the air! Just hold on to his sturdy shoulder and experience how an astronaut feels..
Loreley
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allydodd wrote:
In the light of recent posts, do let wee people a little space under your chin. A Sparks night is a special night for all to enjoy!

AMEN TO THAT.
(Not that I'm that tiny, but there are taller people around...)
E-Clect-Eddy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my transport sorted no Bullet Train ...just Eurostar :-)

www.last.fm/user/E-Clect-Eddy
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veryoldfan wrote:
Why does someone who is 6'4" need to queue at all?

No. I don't suppose he does need to queue. However I am only 5ft 2". Does he need to stand at the back without me? I'll let you suggest this to him!!

Last edited by CALI on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:
Park it next to our push bike-i will be croggying my missus there-pretty damn knackering as well.You can't miss it our reg plate is Skintasell.....

No probs. Security is all that is needed. Si will drop me off at the venue and if he can follow you to the carpark/parking area, well that will be great. My number plate by then will be 'skintaswellcauseofthisbloodyporsche'.
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveBoyce wrote:
A long time ago I had a gf with a Porsche, after about 6 months she got so fed up that she couldn't park it anywhere without people running their keys down the side that she got rid of it and went back to a "normal" car...

"Everyone otherwise ought to be noisey all the time" Noisy boys are happy boys usw

But what is a normal car? Yes. people get a bit envious cause you got a Porsche but at the end of the day, mine isn't a new one (1997) It probably cost me less than a new 'ordinary one'. My Si has got a Lexus which wasn't far off what I paid for my Porsche. Its something I always wanted and when I passed my test, well that was that. The insurance is a bit of a bugger tho. However its my baby and I have worked for it. You reap what you sow at the end of the day. My next sight is a Porsche 911 turbo!!
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loreley wrote:
allydodd wrote:

AMEN TO THAT.
(Not that I'm that tiny, but there are taller people around...)

Taller people are entited to enjoy theirselves as well. Stand on a box it you have to. At 5ft 2", I know I woud do if necessary.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali-sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news.We will not be arriving on our raleigh chopper now-so you will not be able to follow us into the car park.Had a nasty accident on it yesterday morning.I was showing off as usual croggying my missus and decided to pop a monster wheelie.Got about 7 full pedals into it and disaster struck.All over sudden there was a mighty crash as we both went over backwards onto the road.Them damn Chopper bikes were never safe.Luckily for me with my missus on the back of the seat she cushioned the blow for me.This was a blessing because i had a football game in the afternoon and a biking injury was not what i needed..She took a nasty whack on the back though.We will be still going to the concerts but walking there.Anyone want to buy a 1970 MK1 raleigh chopper for spares?
PatrickHM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got my tickets for both nights. Really excited. Thought there was very little chance of them playing entire albums in full after those 21x21 gigs last year (well besides Kimono My House which I know they play in full once every so often it would seem) so I was really surprised to see that they're coming back next month and playing my two favourites in full as well as ECOTD :) see you all there!
grace adieu
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sodding, sodding Nora. I leave the country for 20 minutes and what happens? Bliss, that's what, but without me. Am traumatised. Enjoy, all you lucky, lucky folk!
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice AllyDodds et al, I have been doing my homework on YouTube (like THAT was hard work!) and am really looking forward to it.
Rang the Forum today to book our car park space as husband in wheelchair, doors open at 7pm as we know, asked what time was kickoff, was told 7.30-7.45 as they would be playing a very long set.
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allydodd wrote:

If you bump into Russell in the local Boots looking at own brand hair products, don't ask his age. He is "Forever Young" and his performance will prove it!

WTF! LOL!
Assume OK to ask him if he has an advantage card?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: