SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kimono My House - London Forum - 20 March 2009
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Kimono My House - London Forum - 20 March 2009 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Superb gig! The band were on top form throughout, and didn't disappoint.

They came on at around 20:45 and did the whole of ECOTD. As far as I could tell, the show was identical to last year's at the Shepherds Bush Empire - large central screen, band in "frames", visuals, female dancers etc. No surprises, but the show was performed really, really well. At the end, Ron set fire to all 21 albums again, and it was interesting to guage the level of the cheer which greeted each one, as Russell pointed out later.

After a 20-minute break during which the ECOTD set was dismantled, the band returned and performed Kimono My House in its entirety. Again, this was played and sung brilliantly. Russell really was on top form, and hardly missed a note all evening. If I had to be ultra-picky, occasionally Jim's guitar was a little quiet in the mix especially at the start of his solos (wake up on the sound desk!), and Marcus really could have done with a Rickenbacker bass. His playing was excellent, of course, but the sound just wasn't "right" - I for one really missed the Rick growl.

After a rapturous ovation, the band left the stage for a few minutes but there was no way they were going to be allowed to leave! The noise of the crowed beckoning them back was absolutely deafening, and they duly returned and performed (IIRC) Dick Around, When Do I Get To Sing My Way, and Suburban Homeboy.

As with last year's 21 shows, the Maels were visibly moved by the reception that they continue to receive in London. Not sure about the upstairs balcomy section, but the downstairs section was absolutely rammed, and the atmosphere was superb.

Really looking forward to tomorrow as I love N1IH. Wonder what the encores will be...?

Mark
Thermaland
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show was filmed incidentally...
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermaland wrote:
The show was filmed incidentally...

Yes it was, as will tomorrow night's...
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upstairs was full ,but God knows who with! Roll on Saturday when I will be downstairs with proper Sparks fans! Don,t get me wrong we need new blood but some of the Stiffs upstairs tonight we do not! only my opinion though

Must also add it was great to have a quick chat with Kev Hook and Trevor White on the tube afterwards. Hope you got to Cheam eventually Guys and Girl!

Last edited by Billy Stevens on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Stevens wrote:
The upstairs was full, but God knows who with!

Tryouts for the human race, no doubt...
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me Mark, these were not from Burlington or Bonn! Lets hope they are not a quarter billion strong!
De Sade
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Stevens wrote:
The upstairs was full ,but God knows who with!
I agree with these observations, I was up there but I have never understood that mentality that someone will sit thru a gig as great as that and barely twitch an eyebrow - Freddie Mercury, Jonn Lennon and Mozart could have guested on stage tonight & I think they would have been unmoved. I nearly got the St John's ambulance team to look at the guy I was next to!
Anyway enough of the bitching; personal highlights were Photoshop (hilarious) & Lighten up (v slick), TGIN Christmas (missed the gong though) & all the encores (great trio of tracks) - minor gripe Good Morning lost its funky edge due to balance issues; bass too fat, vocal too faint. Otherwise great work from all 5 band members. Thanks.
Rissacakes
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Sade wrote:
Billy Stevens wrote:
The upstairs was full ,but God knows who with!
I agree with these observations, I was up there but I have never understood that mentality that someone will sit thru a gig as great as that and barely twitch an eyebrow - Freddie Mercury, Jonn Lennon and Mozart could have guested on stage tonight & I think they would have been unmoved. I nearly got the St John's ambulance team to look at the guy I was next to!

You should have pushed his ass out the balcony. Hahahah.

Anyway, sounds like a lovely show. Really looking forward to the DVD release sometime this year. :)
beaver o'lindy
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a 100% ace gig, and it was splendid meeting everyone that i did.

i could tell jim was in his glory getting to play adrian fisher's amazing guitar parts... the leads for the most part were spot on. what a thrill it must be to get to do that live.

looking forward to hearing more about this and tonight's show as well.

highlight of the show: russell singing to the crowd "sing it in the right pitch" during the extended outro to 'equator'

r.
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great gig, which made the albums sound even better. Looking forward to tonight!
lilywearsmoschino
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FANTASTIC gig, stunning Equator, they just keep getting better. Russell's energy would put a 19 year old to shame.

Can't wait to see it all again tonight
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there any official merchandise available ?

The pirate hawkers were in force outside but I saw no stall inside.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinky wrote:
Was there any official merchandise available?

Yes, next to the downstairs gents.

dinky wrote:

The guys outside were selling T-shirts for £5 each whilst the official merchandise stall had them available for £30 - hard to tell which of the two were ripping the punters off more...
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning performance by the lads, throughout. They played with passion throughout. Russell's singing was awesome as he bounded on air across the stage, varying style with an almost effortless gusto. Ron was Ron, once more carrying the gauntlet of the silent clowns, now revered as genius of comedy performers.

First half was the brilliantly staged "Exotic Creatures of the Deep", totally cutting edge and multi-media. The interaction with the back screens pioneered with the L Beethoven shows was again taken to a new level by Ron. A troup of fine dancers added to the surreal theatricality, challenging many pre-conceptions about the songs.

Although many a fan has commented how a South Bank Show is long overdue on Sparks, I actually think Melvyn Bragg could easily devote a whole programme to this twenty first album.

Typing from an Internet cafe in Islington and realised my two bob is running out ... TBC
sean's sparks thing
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Last Night Reply with quote

Great performance, yet again from the The Sparks band.
I don't know if they've all been 'working out' or something, but the performance seemed somehow more 'muscular' and powerful than last years at Sheps Bush...superb stuff.

Looking forward to tonights electro-fest!
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks, I've just spent a hour rattling off the second part of a typically longwinded and detailed personal review, which has just been scrubbed by running out of time in this machine with little warning in this internet cafe.

I'm now due in the Eddie, but will have to find some inaminate object to kick to vent my frustration.

MarkRae sums the gig up pretty well, I have to say.

You've got to beat the clock, beat the clock.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
dinky wrote:
Was there any official merchandise available?

Yes, next to the downstairs gents.

dinky wrote:

The guys outside were selling T-shirts for £5 each whilst the official merchandise stall had them available for £30 - hard to tell which of the two were ripping the punters off more...

The hooded sweatshirt was £30 but the T-shirts were only £15. They weren't very interesting though; a white one with drawings of R+R faces, a black one with Sparks logo from WITC, a black one with Lighten Up Morrissey in white capitals. They should have had the ones the band were wearing, with ECOTD or KMH covers on the front!
sin-is-quite-the-thing
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely fantastic night!
The boys were amazing as usual and i met so many fans! Just wish i could go again tonight.

Highlight for me was WDIGTSMW. Had to fight back the tears, really hit a nerve!

Thanks to everyone i met, made the queing time fly by!
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing show! Every song was a highlight! Although I seem to have some kind of obsession with the dancers during (She Got Me) Pregnant, so that would probably be the number 1 highlight, but there's so many to choose from. I would write up a review but I'm practically speechless .

Met some amazing fans too, everyone's enthusiasm was fantastic
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!!
I don't remember the first time ever being that good!!
It is rare to find enthusiasm and professionalism combining in such a way. Can only echo previous posters.
My personal fave is "Dick Around" so was well pleased it was in the encore.
2 highlights, somewhat OT from R&R:
1: thanks to Allydodd for coming to say Hi after the show, sorry if I was a little distracted, one half of my brain was still on Planet Sparks and the other half was thinking "oh bugger, I've got to drive 200 miles home now", hope to talk more next time, and THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME, NO WAY IS THAT MY FIRST AND LAST SPARKS GIG!
2: a big thank you to the Forum security staff who were kindness itself to my (severly disabled) other half.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: