SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Number 1 In Heaven - London Forum - 21 March 2009
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Number 1 In Heaven - London Forum - 21 March 2009 Reply with quote

Another absolute stormer of a gig!

I'd say the venue was maybe 80% full, but the atmosphere was just as electric as last night.

Opened with ECOTD in its entirety. Just as good as yesterday's performance, maybe even marginally better.

Following a break, they performed Number 1 In Heaven in its entirety, and the place went wild! Every song was greeted with rapturous applause, especially the title track. Having seen the band approaching 40 times now, that ranked in my top 5 ever Sparks performances. They were stunningly good - I can't think of any other way to describe it.

And then, following another break, they returned for the encores, all of which were from 1974 - I certainly wasn't expecting that! Began with Propaganda / At Home At Work At Play, followed by B.C. and then This Town. Utterly brilliant performance of each track. After AHAWAP, Russell walked over to Ron and said "They don't write 'em like that any more!" Everyone, including Ron, agreed.

And that was it - until the next time. At the very end, Russell thanked everyone for coming, said once again how much he and Ron love playing in London, and that they hoped to be back very soon "with a new and interesting concept", or words to that effect...

Wonder what he meant, or if he was just teasing...?
Rissacakes
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Ron or Russell say anything regarding "new or interesting" concepts, it seems to me that we'd better take heed, hahah.

Sounds like it was a really great show. It's especially nice that even after all these years, R&R can walk away from the stage and know that they're appreciated and loved by many.
powpowpow
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that tosser. who pushed and punched his way to the front second row (where i had been standing) during academy award performance, completely out of his skull. who the hell are you? i am used to pushing and shoving at gigs, but that was seriously inappropriate. there was no need to shove me or anyone else (i am 5'2, you basically pushed me over and stood on me then told me to f*** off), and there was really no need to start a moshpit fight as soon as this town started. it's not that punk, you bastard. and you're wayyyy too old to be taking the drugs you seem to have taken. you nearly ruined an excellent gig, for me and pretty much everyone in that area i would've guessed.

otherwise, it was stellar, perfect. and thanks to all the lovely folk who made an attempt to get him to sod off and check i was ok, it was really appreciated. what a dick.
beaver o'lindy
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(^ how unfortunate! people like that usually get what's coming to them, and deserve it - a lingering dreadful hangover if nothing else)

other than that, sounds like an ace night, sorry i couldn't make it especially now that i've missed AHAWAP live. that song is sex on legs.
lilywearsmoschino
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that tosser. who pushed and punched his way to the front second row (where i had been standing) during academy award performance, completely out of his skull. who the hell are you
Thankfully, in my experience, this is very rare in a Sparks gig. Sparks fans are great - these cretins tend to come of the woodwork at shows like this.

Utterly brilliant show. Louder, more appreciative crowd than the first night - and didn't No 1 in Heaven played in its entirety sound INCREDIBLE live!!! Thanks, Ron & Russell, for another amazing show.
Ron Playing
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powpowpow wrote:
That tosser who pushed and punched his way to the front second row (where I had been standing) during Academy Award Performance, completely out of his skull. Who the hell are you?

I think I know who you mean. I remember seeing you fight your way through the crowd so that you had a chance of seeing at least something, so you must have been standing only one or two rows in front of me. And there was an extremely irritating bloke behind me (about 6', bald, glasses) who kept asking me for my Sparks Spectacular T-shirt and insisted on asking total strangers how old they were etc. He basically yelled incoherent nonsense pretty much all the way through ECOTD, much to the annoyance of everyone around him. At one point he was getting on my nerves so much that I was in danger of decking him, so I moved away - sod's law would have dictated that I would have been the one who got thrown out!

I bet that was him...
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw that fellow at one point too powpowpow...pm me a description just to verify....bit unusual for two such pests to be in on the same night.
powpowpow
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, there were definitely two - by the encore he'd been joined by an idiot in a tweed suit with a quiff, and they did the usual reel round in circles and stagger into everyone malarkey. main offender looked like a cross between a biker and a logger. poor sod.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the same one then...he staggered from right to left barging all and sundry in his drunken wake.
powpowpow
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wait, so that makes it three
that really is unusual..
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Number 1 In Heaven - London Forum - 21 March 2009 Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
Another absolute stormer of a gig!

I'd say the venue was maybe 80% full, but the atmosphere was just as electric as last night.

Opened with ECOTD in its entirety. Just as good as yesterday's performance, maybe even marginally better.

Following a break, they performed Number 1 In Heaven in its entirety, and the place went wild! Every song was greeted with rapturous applause, especially the title track. Having seen the band approaching 40 times now, that ranked in my top 5 ever Sparks performances. They were stunningly good - I can't think of any other way to describe it.

And then, following another break, they returned for the encores, all of which were from 1974 - I certainly wasn't expecting that! Began with Propaganda / At Home At Work At Play, followed by B.C. and then This Town. Utterly brilliant performance of each track. After AHAWAP, Russell walked over to Ron and said "They don't write 'em like that any more!" Everyone, including Ron, agreed.

And that was it - until the next time. At the very end, Russell thanked everyone for coming, said once again how much he and Ron love playing in London, and that they hoped to be back very soon "with a new and interesting concept", or words to that effect...

Wonder what he meant, or if he was just teasing...?

Fortunately Powpowpow a blistering night of talent(as quoted) made up for the stupidity of the thankfully few.
Alex MacDonald
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An absolutely sensational performance, so many highlights to note down, just don't have the time, but the N1SiH and the '74 encores jut shade it.
Sat upstairs last night just to get a different perspective on the show and it was outstanding. Words fail me. Thankfully eedjit-free up on the balcony and good to see Joe Elliott make a return visit to pay homage.

MiniPop
no1sparksfaninheaven
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing show last night! Got to the front, but I was very far to the left. ECOTD seemed better than when I last heard it during 21x21, which is weird considering this time around they had one less band member. Russell was amazingly bouncy throughout and Ron...not so. It was great to see everyone doing the dance to ICBTYWFFATCITS. The crowd seemed a little "tame" shall we say during ECOTD, in fact Good Morning, the chrous of Strange Animal, and Lighten up Morrisey semed to be the only songs where people were really moving. The dancers were fabulous; particularly during She got Me Pregnant, and Ron's reactions to them were hillarious! Ron burned all of the Albums again at the end of Likeable, and the applause for each album varied on peoples' opinions on them, No.1 In Heaven and ECOTD got the biggest which was appropriate for the night. Then came No.1 in Heaven, the crowd were a lot wilder during this set! Tryouts for the Human Race sounded better than ever before! Russel was even more bouncy during this album! The atmosphere got better with every song, and we'd all gone wild jumping on other peoples' feet (or was that just me?) by the time we got to The Number one Song In Heaven. The encores were brilliant to, we got: Propaganda/At Home At Work at Play, B.C, and This Town.
I sang along at the top of my voice to every song (exept when I forgot the lyrics to She got Me Pregnant, Academy Award Performance, and At Home At Work At Play) The only things I can fault the night on is: Jim played a wrong note during At Home at Work at Play, Russell slightly mixed the lyrics up druing This Town, and La Dolce Vita doesn't sound as "Rich" live as it does on the album (but then again that can't be helped.) Other than that it was flawless!

I'm looking forward to the DVD to see what I missed on the ECOTD/Kimono My House Night!

Last edited by no1sparksfaninheaven on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good heavens! Such a shame for such an amazing show to be marred for one of my favourite people by an utter cretin! All bands have them - we've been kind of blessed in most fans happening to be really kind and thinking people. Experience of digital age gigs tells me that the swine will have been captured on someone's camera, so he'd be very unwise to do anything other than keep a very, very low profile.
OuterSpace
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from London.
Great shows!
One of my pics...

allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine the cycle of life being like a vinyl record spinning on a turntable, with the years seeming longer to turn at the beginning and shorter just before the end. However, if there could ever be a scratch on the disk that makes a bit repeat endless, then I'd like it to be at that show last night. A cracking gig it was, and one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life!

The performance was A1. But it was A1 on the previous night. What made this a night to remember was the audience. At Friday's Exotic Creatures / Kimono gig, there was a very appreciative crowd spectating. Last night had the crowd taking part with equal measure to the band.

From the moment the band, fittingly framed in gold, hummed the intro over dormant Ron and the dancers appeared in costume with props through the dreamy haze, the change in atmosphere was markedly different. Piercing the eerie dry-iced air, welcoming noises came from a crowd restless to show appreciation. Deafening volume greeted R&R as they bounded over to their stances to do what they do best.

And yes!!! As soon as the bouncy song came, hands could be seen in the air mirroring R&R's crawl strokes. They knew the words. This crowd was loving it. And Russell too. And, maybe Ron too!

Good humour as well, characterised the mood of the mass, as Ron's comedy routines during Exotic Creatures never missed a laugh. His struggle to play the a piano animated by an uncontrollable computer was only matched in genius by his precursor Chaplin's struggle with automated technology in Modern Times. Praiseworthy were the excellent dancers who brought the reality of human presence in making Ron's pleasant dreams of past ages of cultural enlightment- and more strikingly - anguished nightmares of today come to life. They were entirely pivotal in visually enforcing the mood swings of the inter-related songs of the album.

The climax of the colourful Exotic Creature show, which had more highlights than a girl band's hair, was equally disconcerting. The album burning was downright uncomfortable for the fans, who aborred the sight of their cherished disks going up in flames, yet still felt the need to give cheers of appreciation.

Often overlooked is Sparks support crew, who handled the transition of sets with a professional and eager slickness.

Once the group remerged to the stripped down stage for "No1 in Heaven", it was evident that the audience had been mysteriously reinvigorated for this high energy machine music. Tryouts for the Human Race seemed unbelievably fresh and credible, sparking much frenzied dancing among a fan base regarding themselves as one elastic generation. Suddenly, it happened. Beat the Clock came on. There was a surge of bodies being pulling up by some force of untameable energy in the air. People were moving together like bathers in the surf. Hands clapping. It was like a tidal wave of exurberance swept through the electrified audience. Beat the Clock was the first Sparks song I ever heard, and of course, fell in love with. It was my song. It is my song. But now everyone was moving with the same passion. They were loving it. We were loving. It was incredible.

By the time the titular final song of the album came on, the faithful must have been feeling this really was Heaven on Earth.

A final third selection of goodies was in store, and guitar heros Jim Wilson and Marcus Blake made a return to their instruments. Terrific first few songs of Propaganda - classic. Finally, This Town Aint Big Enough ... rounded off an amazing evening.

The best.
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Heaven Sent Reply with quote

[color=yellow]Shame about the tossers. I was on teh thurd row just to their right. He was looking for a fight and nearly got one from one brave Sparks fan who stood up to him.

Apart from that it was another great gig. Highlights for me where Heaven and the encore.

What a band.
Heaven sent. [/color]
Joy
Joy
alanphair
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i've seen sparks more than 30 times but i've never enjoyed a show as much as last night. it was the whole of number one in heaven that did it for me and the venue suited this album a bit more than islington. i agree with an earlier post that la dolce vita lacked a little something, but this was made up by a simply sublime my other voice. not my favourite sparks track, but the layers of sound made it really memorable last night. number one song in heaven was spine-tingling and the audience whooped as the song started and gradually picked up pace.
i took a seat upstairs as friday night downstairs was a bit of a let down in terms of getting a decent view. and, although i got told by "security" to sit down once, i "danced" my little heart out to possibly the greatest album in the world.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That idiot in the tweed suit with the quiff was a total p---k.He barged past me and my Missus several times..He kept surging past us and surging out-knocking us both flying each time.In the end i asked him if he could be a little more careful-he ignored me.I ended up whacking him hard and sending him flying backwards.He mouthed something incoherently to me-i thought come back here t--t make my night.Anyone who half flattens my Missus-once let alone several times gets whats coming.The show was superb-a better atmosphere in my opinion than the previous very good night.
E-Clect-Eddy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night i was held up by Eurostar nonsense about trains leaving on other times than previously announced, and had to check it out at St. P. So i got in late. Hoped they would start late too just like friday but no... got in there just before "Pregnant". Did enjoy the rest and lucky i did sse it all on friday, missed the start but not the end :-)

the No. 1 in Heaven was performed brilliantly, loved it more than performed at the spectacual but maybe due to getting a better sound as i was standing just slightly to the right of center stage (near where powpowpow was?) I loved every minute of it.

Although my voice had almost gone on friday i did sing with the lound ones just behind me as best as i could :-P

The funny story about La Dolce Vita Russell must tell us some other time?

Hope they appear at a festival this summer, Oxygen in Ireland would be great with NIN and Jane's Addiction in the line-up.

www.last.fm/user/E-Clect-Eddy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: