SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Number 1 In Heaven - London Forum - 21 March 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-Clect-Eddy wrote:
But didn't Jon & Vangelis not team up just before 1979 as a synth duo?

Yes they did, releasing their first album together ('Short Stories') in 1980. The following year they released 'The Friends of Mr Cairo' which remains one of my favourite albums by any artist. Amazon currently have it for just under a fiver - thoroughly recommended for anyone who likes superb synth-driven pop and glorious high-pitched vocals...

E-Clect-Eddy wrote:
At least the first colaboration by Jon with Vangelis was in 1975.

That's right - Jon contributed vocals to Vangelis' 1975 masterpiece 'Heaven and Hell'. Again, thoroughly recommended.
Douglas McIntyre
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truely amazing gig, what a weekend!

Almost moved to tears at start of No1 Song. It was a brilliant performance from start to finish, even better than at Islington.

These guys never fail to amaze me.

Many, many thanks guys!!
Loreley
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douglas McIntyre wrote:
Almost moved to tears at start of No1 Song.

I was already in tears at that point. My Other Voice always gets to me, and No1 pushes me over the edge. So beautiful.
Gemsy
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

systemr2000 wrote:
That might have been me, I noticed two girls dancing away for much of the gig and they looked like they were really enjoying it.

Hey! That'd be us then, haha. We loved it so much, I was completely blown away, and I just had to sign up here to carry on talking about it, haha! Yeah we did not stop dancing, sorry if we annoyed anybody hahaha (yeah that was us down the front on Ron's side!) We tried to be careful unlike the aforementioned inconsiderate tosser! There was some of that going on down our end too...

I got tickets for both nights to make up for not being able to go to 21x21 last year, I didn't have a job then and couldn't go at all! Badtimes. Last weekend more than made up for it! Here's to many more! Oh, and My Other Voice nearly made me cry. :D
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum gigs Reply with quote

hyburn wrote:
I
I pushed the boat out and went to see them in LA in Feb and I have to say the London gigs were WAY MUCH BETTER. In my opinion the crowd was so much more appreciative and responsive and I personally think that feeds thro to the band and their performance too. I was really surprised at the lack of reaction from the audience in LA until near the end. I seemed to be the only one singing along in my row which I felt didn't go down too well with the guy sitting next to me who was drawing me daggers. It was all seated which probably didn't help but it just didn't feel like a SPARKS gig to me and I have been to a fair few in the last wee while - not as many as I would have liked but more than I could probably afford in terms of time or money.

MiniPop Ron Playing

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. I didn't see the London shows and I'm sure they were great, but I flew cross country to the LA shows and they were simply incredible - and the audience was absolutely loving every minute. I've seen them about ten times now, and LA was the absolute pinnacle.
Alex MacDonald
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allydodd wrote:
I imagine the cycle of life being like a vinyl record spinning on a turntable, with the years seeming longer to turn at the beginning and shorter just before the end. However, if there could ever be a scratch on the disk that makes a bit repeat endless, then I'd like it to be at that show last night. A cracking gig it was, and one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life!

The performance was A1. But it was A1 on the previous night. What made this a night to remember was the audience. At Friday's Exotic Creatures / Kimono gig, there was a very appreciative crowd spectating. Last night had the crowd taking part with equal measure to the band.

From the moment the band, fittingly framed in gold, hummed the intro over dormant Ron and the dancers appeared in costume with props through the dreamy haze, the change in atmosphere was markedly different. Piercing the eerie dry-iced air, welcoming noises came from a crowd restless to show appreciation. Deafening volume greeted R&R as they bounded over to their stances to do what they do best.

And yes!!! As soon as the bouncy song came, hands could be seen in the air mirroring R&R's crawl strokes. They knew the words. This crowd was loving it. And Russell too. And, maybe Ron too!

Good humour as well, characterised the mood of the mass, as Ron's comedy routines during Exotic Creatures never missed a laugh. His struggle to play the a piano animated by an uncontrollable computer was only matched in genius by his precursor Chaplin's struggle with automated technology in Modern Times. Praiseworthy were the excellent dancers who brought the reality of human presence in making Ron's pleasant dreams of past ages of cultural enlightment- and more strikingly - anguished nightmares of today come to life. They were entirely pivotal in visually enforcing the mood swings of the inter-related songs of the album.

The climax of the colourful Exotic Creature show, which had more highlights than a girl band's hair, was equally disconcerting. The album burning was downright uncomfortable for the fans, who aborred the sight of their cherished disks going up in flames, yet still felt the need to give cheers of appreciation.

Often overlooked is Sparks support crew, who handled the transition of sets with a professional and eager slickness.

Once the group remerged to the stripped down stage for "No1 in Heaven", it was evident that the audience had been mysteriously reinvigorated for this high energy machine music. Tryouts for the Human Race seemed unbelievably fresh and credible, sparking much frenzied dancing among a fan base regarding themselves as one elastic generation. Suddenly, it happened. Beat the Clock came on. There was a surge of bodies being pulling up by some force of untameable energy in the air. People were moving together like bathers in the surf. Hands clapping. It was like a tidal wave of exurberance swept through the electrified audience. Beat the Clock was the first Sparks song I ever heard, and of course, fell in love with. It was my song. It is my song. But now everyone was moving with the same passion. They were loving it. We were loving. It was incredible.

By the time the titular final song of the album came on, the faithful must have been feeling this really was Heaven on Earth.

A final third selection of goodies was in store, and guitar heros Jim Wilson and Marcus Blake made a return to their instruments. Terrific first few songs of Propaganda - classic. Finally, This Town Aint Big Enough ... rounded off an amazing evening.

The best.

Brilliant review Ally, paints a perfect picture. If Ron's looking for some lyrical assistance for album 22 next year, he should drop you an invite over to LA!!

MiniPop
lilywearsmoschino
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful review, Ally! It really was a great night (that goes for both shows), and we were all privileged to be there.
MiniPop Ron Playing
Missy
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful review, allydodd!!! It was a spectacular night, so great,best of all 4 I've seen so far. I was suprised by the kind of loving atmosphere on that gig,it's really rare these days. I was behind the mixers and that was a wonderful place, I saw the whole show(normally I have been at the first row) Apologies to those persons next to me: I just had to scream and I have a very loud voice. I can't help it,the scream comes from the bottom of my soul...;-)
I was shocked,so shocked when they burned the albums! I understand the idea, but still i was in tears...
Too late for that
Too late for that
Liam
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great gig. Great review Ally.

Although there were less people it felt more lively. That might have been because we were closer, knew what to expect from the previous night, had been drinking before the gig and had just watched Ireland win the grand slam!

I thought 'Exotic' was better, especially Good Morning.

No.1 in Heaven was the album where we discovered Sparks so we loved that - thought I preferred last year's performance. Did they use syn-drums last year?

Again, very clever choices in the three wrap-up songs.

I thought the staff at the Forum were friendly and the bar service was great - even if we did drink them out of Guinness both nights.

Took a breather and time to think on the park bench on the way back to the tube that said 'Here all the problems of the world were solved'. Did you see it?
systemr2000
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemsy wrote:
systemr2000 wrote:
That might have been me, I noticed two girls dancing away for much of the gig and they looked like they were really enjoying it.

Hey! That'd be us then, haha. We loved it so much, I was completely blown away, and I just had to sign up here to carry on talking about it, haha! Yeah we did not stop dancing, sorry if we annoyed anybody hahaha (yeah that was us down the front on Ron's side!) ... Last weekend more than made up for it! Here's to many more! Oh, and My Other Voice nearly made me cry. :D

Their music gets me moving about too. Which night did you enjoy the most?
Alex MacDonald
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both nights were special, all Sparks gigs are, and it was hard to separate them, but I'd have to go for KMH. Any performance that includes 'Here In Heaven' is a winner.

Most memorable Sparks gig that I've been to would have to be The Isle of Skye Festival in '06, one of the most surreal weekends of my whole life, seeing Sparks play in a big top on Broadford airstrip in a howling gale with torrential rain. Unforgettable!!
Missy
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there too! I fell in love with Highlands and Hebrides, though it was a bit moisty. That was my first Sparks experience!
Too late for that
Too late for that
Pim Derks
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has a recording of the gig, PM me :D
Alex MacDonald
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missy wrote:
I was there too! I fell in love with Highlands and Hebrides, though it was a bit moisty. That was my first Sparks experience!

I think I was standing beside you?!? Was there an annoying local beside us giving everybody grief that we managed to chuck over the barrier?
piley
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all....

I've just put up my live review of Exotic Creatures Of The Deep and No. 1 In Heaven over at my site:

http://piley.blogspot.com/2009/03/sparks-exotic-creatures-of-deep-and-no.html

I'm delighted to say that professional photographer Tony Bartolo has allowed me to use some of his incredible shots that he took over the two nights.

I hope you like the review and the pictures. As always, feel free to leave a comment on the site, but don't be too rude about me!!

Best wishes all,

Piley
http://piley.blogspot.com/

Last edited by piley on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemsy
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

systemr2000 wrote:
Their music gets me moving about too. Which night did you enjoy the most?

Aaahhh don't make me choose! Haha. I think No. 1 in Heaven just about wins. There seemed to be a better atmosphere, numpties aside! Bigger sound too. And I was a bit happier, as it hadn't taken me four hours to get there, haha (I got stuck in traffic on the Kimono night! I sent Rage Kitty a text saying, "MAKE THEM WAIT FOR ME!" Haha. I think the band must've felt my distress 'cause they were delayed starting, thank goodness! ) Although Equator on the Friday was the most special moment overall I think.
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best sparks gig ever was always my first, Hammersmith 1975 (they say you never forget your first).Travelling home on the tube singing How are you getting home? In front of a Martin gordon lookalike In fact I told people for 20 years it was the best gig I had ever been to. Then Shepherds Bush 1994 probably almost eclipsed it, as I actually went to the gig with the same mate I went to Hammersmith with in 1975 and the anticipation was fully justified from the opening of WDIGTSMW! 21x21 threw up many other alternatives Woofer, Propa Indis, Plag and ECOTD at SB again (although I would have loved to and now regret, taking the job, that made me miss Introducing (real memories with this album) and the youtube moments make me hate myself everyday for not going! Anyway moving on, these last 2 nights were amazing with No.1 just taking the biscuit. But on par with the last 2 was my unforgettable night at Royce Hall with my Wife Pauline on Valentines night 2009, they spent over 3 hours on stage and did Mickey Mouse ! I Could have won the Eddy sweepstake if I had my thinking head on, all the encores, for both nights,were played at Royce Hall. Tokyo is looking better by the minute! Roll on the Virgin atlantic 25th Birthday Offer!
Muttley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night two, just as awesome as the first. N1IH was just superb, and the real surprise of the night for me was B.C during the encore.

Cannot wait to see what comes from the filming.
Flatulence Man
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a gig - just been away on a school residential but am still buzzing - Mr Tweed-jacket quiff d**k and his mate not withstanding!

I was talking to some bloke next to me (not during songs I hasten to add) and actually said that I would have preferred Propoganda to Kimono - the band must be mind readers - to get Propoganda/At home..., then B.C in the encore - oh such bliss!!!

No 1 just outstanding and worth the admission alone. Thanks to all the sociable people around me for making the night extra-special.

FM
Bobby Muir
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piley, been reading your stuff on and off all day.

Truly awesome, and thanks for the effort and passion you put into this. Keep it a flowing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: