SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revisiting ECOTD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Revisiting ECOTD Reply with quote

Hello all.

In the immediate weeks following the release of most (not all, but most) Sparks albums, If ind myself hailing the release as "the greatest ever" and "already a classic" and "a new level" and other assorted expressions of hyperbole. Then after a few months, the albums find themselves revisited somewhat, and maybe the level of initial enthusiasm gets replaced by a more mature appreciation.

HOWEVER, with ECOTD, I find that I still believe this was a monumental, singularly excellent release that deserves all the accolodes I originally bestowed upon it. I still feel that it tells an extremely cohesive and compelling story, that the songwriting is some of their best, and that the album was, if anything, underappreciated as the TRUE classic that it is.

I think it was a concept album that was brilliant, and that still compels me upon repeated listenings. I feel that it didn't get the credit it deserved, but I always feel that way.

What do others think? I know not everyone liked it as much as I do; that's ok. I'm just wondering if there are others that remain impressed with this incredible piece of musical storytelling, or just think it's a great album, or if, with the passage of time, some feel it's just "so so" or something to that effect.

Thoughts?
Pim Derks
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it starts on a very high level with Good Morning & Strange Animal and ends on a very high level with Photoshop and Likeable - with some (slightly) lesser tracks in the middle. But a lesser Sparks track is still a great track ofcourse :)
systemr2000
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Intro to Likeable it hits the spot, it's the album that came out while I went from being this much of a fan: [....] to this much [.........................................] and when I go for a long drive I like to play it in full, I've grown to love each track now for sure, whereas on the first few plays in June '08, about half of it was an immediate hit. (Seeing the album played live in full in March helped enhance my view of it on the whole as a solid, consistent effort.)
Rissacakes
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECOTD . . . every time I listen to the album, I am reminded that there will never come a day when R&R won't be kicking ass.

There's so much energy and youth in everything they do. It's beautiful.
LordFreddie
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It grows with every listen. A fantastic album and way ahead of anything else that's being released these days.

22 albums into their career and producing stuff like this? Incredible....
jessie6413
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: ECOTD Reply with quote

My husband has loved "Kimono" since it's debut. Meanwhile, I'd cringe. Perhaps just because he played it so, so often. He thought Sparks was a one-hit-album band and never realized they were still out there making music. Along comes the appearance on Jonathan Ross telecast in August on BBC America. I happen to catch it, realize who is playing, hit record. "I Can't Believe..." caught my attention. I download the album. We're both thrilled with it. I've now almost completed downloading the entire back catalog and, of course, got up from a sound sleep to download "TSOIB" as soon as it was available. About a week after hearing "I Can't Believe" I said to my husband that I owed the Mael Brothers and him an apology for not understanding what was really going on musically with "Kimono" and missing 35 years of sharing their music with him. So based on the above, yes, "ECOTD" is a truly monumental album.
Now we are hoping to get to see a concert some day soon.
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ECOTD Reply with quote

jessie6413 wrote:

Now we are hoping to get to see a concert some day soon.

Amen to that!
Nasalhair
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I must be one of the few for whom ECOTD has never really worked its magic. For me it has its moments, namely "Lighten Up, Morrissey", but I really think this is far from their best work, and is certainly the weakest of their last three albums. Sorry
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasalhair wrote:
I guess I must be one of the few for whom ECOTD has never really worked its magic. For me it has its moments, namely "Lighten Up, Morrissey", but I really think this is far from their best work, and is certainly the weakest of their last three albums. Sorry

While I don't completely agree, obviously, I will say that you get a lot of props for having the name Nasalhair.
jill
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Revisiting ECOTD Reply with quote

MrMonte wrote:
I find that I still believe this was a monumental, singularly excellent release that deserves all the accolodes I originally bestowed upon it.

I believe the same. I was enthusiastic too in the beginning, partly because it was a new Sparks album, partly because I liked it on the first listen, partly because of the excitement of 21x21. But then it really grew with every listen, with each and every track. I think it starts to shine (as in a diamond with many, many facets) rather after you already think you know each track by heart.
haydn60
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that gassed me about Lil' Beethoven was that it was such brilliant music they seemed to just toss off (although it has been well documented that it was most certainly not easy to produce - just as the manuscript to Beethoven's 5th symphony has been described as the scene of a "bloody battle").

Hello, Young Lovers contained some indisputedly brilliant tracks but even the best of them betrayed the effort that went into them. Nothing wrong with music evoking strain & swollen sinew (Astaire v Kelly, Mozart v Haydn & all that) but I missed the coolness of the earlier effort. Not to mention that I was waiting for both the Propaganda to LB's Kimono & SMiLE to LB's Pet Sounds.

Exotic Creatures Of the Deep delivered both - in fact, observers of "Likable" will notice visual ornaments seemingly purchased at the SMiLE Shoppe. I haven't yet decided whether I prefer it to Propaganda (it dips at "Morresey" where the earlier dipped at "Achoo") but it demands to be heard over the sentimental soundtrack of our lives with lowered lids, a drooping cigarette & a Zoot Suit.

O blinding light
O light that blinds
I cannot see
Look after me

- Proctor - Bergman - Austin- Ossman
Liam
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does 'das vadanya' really mean 'Good morning'?
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possibly my favourite Sparks album. It's fantastic and really shows Sparks off at their best. I have sentimental value for the album too as the first time I saw Sparks live was at the ECOTD/Kimono show in London last year.

I love how diverse it is, the lyrics are witty as ever and it carries on the progression from Lil' Beethoven and Hello Young Lovers wonderfully. The Intro is a major goosebumps moment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: