SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Films..... What are you watching?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crabby
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Films..... What are you watching? Reply with quote

I'm new to this Forum so sorry for being presumptuous in thinking of a new topic but l'd love to know what films people are watching or even old films that have impressed them.....

I've just watched "All Quiet on the Western Front.. the 1930 version and it was absolutely beautiful. .. So sophisticated and nuanced, great film!
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the only version of that film I've seen, the ending is so poignant. I was never sure how to interpret it, in the midst of the despair of war something beautiful calls to the young soldier and leads to his death...then overshot with the ghosts of the dead marching away from the mass graves...wonderful symbolism.
A lot of films have impacted me in different ways, as I started writing this the memory of Shenandoah flashed into my mind, I was young when I saw it. I think it was the first film I cried at .
Crabby
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ashamed to say l've never seen Shenendoah (l'm trying desperately to fill in these gaps in my cultural knowledge but it's gonna be a tight race!)

I'm going to watch The Umbrellas of Cherbourg tonight as Russell keeps banging on about how good it is... Wish me luck. 😂
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really fancy The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg, no matter how highly Russell rates it...sorry nothing appeals to me, however I did think that about Annette and was proven wrong even though it might not rate in my top five favourite films.
I have seen Ron's (quoted) favourite film, Death in Venice, not in my top five either but it was very watchable and quite sad but just a little turgid for my tastes.
The follow up film about Bjorn Andersen, I would like to see. The Most Beautiful Boy In The World highlights the way the movie industry in general and Visconti in particular used and abused this lad then abandoned him they had no further use for him
Crabby
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh l do love Death in Venice but it's probably got a lot to do with the gorgeous music and, well, Venice!
The film The Most Beautiful Boy in the world was on TV a few years ago, it's very interesting and disturbing and quite a sad watch.....

Anyway, l'm sure The Umbrellas of Cherbourg will lighten the mood..... We could be doing with a few umbrellas here today, it's a bit on the damp side!
Crabby
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this evening was finally Umbrellas of Cherbourg evening and l have to admit l enjoyed it much much more than l thought l would.... It's quite an unusual film, l forgot they were singing at one point (that's a compliment), and the colours in the interior scenes were beautiful...
Also, as a by product of watching it, l'm sure my French has improved.......

Now, l really must start watching some 21st century films... 😊
aussie
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Buster a fantastic movie and Phil Collins played the part down to a tee, Going Loco down in Acapulco

I HAVE WON LOTTO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Stuff and Nonsense All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: