SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who should play support for Sparks for future gigs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus_Desire
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Who should play support for Sparks for future gigs? Reply with quote

Here would be my faves:

Gemma Ray
Emma Dean (or her new duo Gepetto)
Mika
Robots In Disguise (these girls should take the pop world by storm!)
Regurgitator
Parry Gripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sparksfangroup
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pim Derks
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a Morrissey/Sparks double bill.
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just love to see another Sparks gig
loz
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'd love to see a Morrissey/Sparks double bill."

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes if I could avoid seeing/hearing Morrissey ever again. I SOOOO hate
that guy, musically and his total lack of charisma and/or
personality. There! I've come off the fence. Actually, I'd
quite like to shoot him.... I have abstained from using expletives here, but the man is anathema to me.
If somebody can convince me of anything good, clever or uplifting in his "music", I'm prepared to listen.
Until then, I'll listen to anything else.
And, No, I don't hate William & Kate. Just Morrissey.
Idiot....
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Loz

I heartily agree with every word, Morrissey is nowt but a posturing miserable get.
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see Foxy Shazam support Sparks!

They have a retro feel and are absolutely bananas live. They definitely have a distinctive vision of what they want their band to be and setting themselves apart from other artists - qualities I know Sparks would admire!

Oh Lord

Unstoppable

I Like It
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loz wrote:
"I'd love to see a Morrissey/Sparks double bill."

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes if I could avoid seeing/hearing Morrissey ever again. I SOOOO hate
that guy, musically and his total lack of charisma and/or
personality. There! I've come off the fence. Actually, I'd
quite like to shoot him.... I have abstained from using expletives here, but the man is anathema to me.
If somebody can convince me of anything good, clever or uplifting in his "music", I'm prepared to listen.
Until then, I'll listen to anything else.
And, No, I don't hate William & Kate. Just Morrissey.
Idiot....
Wow...I can't comment on any of his traits as I've never met him, don't agree with his preaching methods and causes(..if he had one eye and a hook The Daily Mail would've crucified him long ago)...but I must say I always get surprised by the differences in people's feelings towards him...definitely a polarisation of emotions, those who love him actually deify him..whilst those who hate him do so with a venom they rarely display....am I the only one in the middle, I can take or leave his music? OK never felt the need to buy any of his work so probably in the "leave it" category....but haven't disliked everything in his output.
Curate's egg sandwich anyone?
bryan_davey
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just sparks, no support, concerts are few and far apart, so if we are lucky enough to witness another sparks concert, ever, just 100% Mael music for me.....xxxx
GARY JOHN BARRETT
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryan_davey wrote:
just sparks, no support, concerts are few and far apart, so if we are lucky enough to witness another sparks concert, ever, just 100% Mael music for me.....xxxx

Well said Bryan. Let's also have less talk on this site about other artists.
Douglas McIntyre
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed guys

The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman followed by A Sparks show sounds good to me!
loz
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Alex...
Get off the fence! ;)
Sorry, but I don't think we'll see Sparks perform live again.
I can deal with this, as long as I don't have to hear Morrissey telling us how bad everything is. Expletive coming up. Eff Off Morrissey. So There!
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they don't like to dwell on the past too much but as they seem to enjoy remixing, I wonder if a "plagiarism" style revamp of songs they've written for others in the past would be a fun project...a couple of Noel or Telex tracks brought bang up to date???

BTW ..I'm not sitting on the fence..it's the gate...so I go whichever direction it gets pushed or pulled....
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought of not seeing Sparks live again breaks my heart. I'm still hoping deep down that they're secretly recording new material whilst getting The Seduction film into production. Wishful thinking, I know..
bryan_davey
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will be very suprised if a new cd will materialise, in the next few years, but hope very much im wrong x
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't see why they have signed the deal with WME Entertainment if they have no plans of playing live again...
jill
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aled wrote:
Well I can't see why they have signed the deal with WME Entertainment if they have no plans of playing live again...

My thought too. I don't see why all these predictions about them not performing live or not planning new releases anymore. And it's not their style to disappear like this, after all the hints that they are working, alive and kicking... no way.
loz
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I had no intention of being the harbinger of doom, It's just a gut feeling. I think movies are their chosen path.
And, the logistics and costs of touring are becoming ridiculous unless you are U2 or the likes....(Did you know that U2 have a fleet of some 237 huge trucks? No, you didn't!)
Touring was once (still is) about promoting the new album.
To just break even, these days, I suspect bands must be able to fill arenas if not stadiums {stadia?}.
I have a couple of chums who are in HUGE bands, and to watch the back-stage activity is awesome. Scores of folks doing what doesn't get seen from the mosh pit. They must all be paid. And provided with accommodation. (They are, IMHO, the unsung heroes of a good gig.)
A few hundred fans in smallish venues does not make prudent financial sense. Unless it's kept local. So.....
Work it out!
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fully aware of the rising costs of touring and live performances, inc. roadies and various crew. However, I'm also aware that the vast majority of money made by artists still come from these live shows (to use the U2 example - they made a fortune in the past year and didn't have a new record to promote). The tiny amount of money made from album sales can't compare with live shows; despite the increasing costs of touring it's still the best option a band has in terms of making money. Adele, despite having the biggest selling album of the 21st century, only made the 10th position on this list due to the fact that she had to cut her tour short.

I appreciate that the two examples used are of highly commercially successful artists. Despite this, I'm sure the money Sparks made from recent shows put more money in their pockets than all the sales of The Seduction box-set due to merchandise as well as ticket sales. When I saw Sparks in 2009 I bought a hoodie and a T-shirt for around £20 each (completely worth it, I still wear them regularly!) and it's at gigs like these that they get the opportunity to sell the merch.

I know that financial gain has always taken a backseat for Sparks in preference of their artistic integrity (such as 21x21 not being the most profitable of ventures). But if the whole issue is about raising funds then it's no different to the current battle they have in raising money to make The Seduction film. And again - would The Seduction film really make them more money than playing shows?
bryan_davey
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am on the same thought as you Loz, although i dont want to say it , and i hope i am wrong ....sparks as we know them are nearly over, but they will return as ron and russel mael via film scores, but, should this be the way, i hope they a farewell gig for london etc just as a thankyou from us to them and visa versa !!!!
loz
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Aled..
Yes! But the costs of touring a band World wide is beyond belief. I belive that Sparks take a huge hit financially when they come to the UK etc... How many road crew to support?
Lighting rigs? Silly money and not viable, unless you're called Coldplay or something similar...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: