SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WOW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crowd certainly went mental at it...I was still expecting Ron to take the mic for the 2nd last verse...
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveBoyce wrote:
The song on loop was "Two Hands One Mouth" - "two hands, one mouth, are all I need to satisy you" etc

Were they really the lyrics? I couldn't hear clearly enough. They did a song especially for the 21x21 gigs as well, so maybe it's a follow-on from that. It's odd that the band or the publicity haven't mentioned it anywhere, or have they?
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh...maybe there is another little surprise for us in the pipeline......fingers crossed.
Kermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a top night out!! Shame I couldn't get tickets for that gig. But I'm looking forward to seeing them in Brighton.
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spyke wrote:
SteveBoyce wrote:
The song on loop was "Two Hands One Mouth" - "two hands, one mouth, are all I need to satisy you" etc

Were they really the lyrics?

Well to be strictly accurate

Two hands, one mouth, that's all I need, that's all I need, to satisfy you
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a couple of you tube links this morning that have now been removed from the forum.

Also, another link, that was on line this afternoon , has now been removed from you tube.

Just info.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kermit wrote:
Sounds like a top night out!! Shame I couldn't get tickets for that gig. But I'm looking forward to seeing them in Brighton.
Look forward to seeing you there Kermit old chap
lazysunbathers
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveBoyce wrote:

I assume it was a dry run for the autumn, so in case anyone is looking a few small feedbacks from my side!

- When Do I get to Sing doesn't work with just those slabby chords / octaves underneath, it needs a proper arrangement with some fingering
- In Beat the Clock I could hardly hear the notes in the instrumental bit, I think someone who didn't know the notes would not have noticed them and only heard the rhythm track
- I thought there was too much "instrumental only" in No 1 Song, should cut one of those breaks out

On the tracks, I think some more melodic work such as "Those Mysteries", It's Kinda Like The Movies", or (dare I mention it again) "Dancing is Dangerous, I Ought to Know" would break up the set better than say "Rhythm Thief", "Dick Around", "Perfume" or "Hospitality on Parade" (much as I personally love those songs), especially for non-fans. Sherlock Holmes worked well I thought btw.

Totally agree with you, Steve!

I would never say that Sparks are ever a disappointment, but this just didn't really do what it said on the tin. Deconstructions? Rearrangements? Just losing the guitars and drums doesn't really amount to either in my book. I'm hoping that for the autumn, they'll push it further and REALLY do something more adventurous and edgy. I agree with every single one of the songs you listed above that don't really work (they all sounded like weak demos to me) - and I would actually add This Town.. too. You've got to do something a lot more radical if you're going to drop the guitars - like the time they played This Town... on that BBC programme about cult pop songs, for example. Even those Radio One acoustic sessions they did around the time of GS&SV would have fit the bill better than last night's versions of Hospitality On Parade, Perfume, Good Morning, etc

Loved the Overture - very theatrical and sets the scene perfectly. Also loved Under The Table With Her, Sherlock Holmes, The Wedding of Jacqueline Kennedy. I would have thought Those Mysteries would have suited itself to this format, ditto I've Never Been High, Moon Over Kentucky, Here Comes Bob, Now That I Own The BBC, Equator...

Have to say that I thought the sound was pretty crappy last night (or perhaps I was just too close?). But maybe the problem is trying to balance voice and keys when they're still trying to play loud like a rock band? Two Hands One Mouth seems like an ideal concept for a more intimate, classical approach (an approach suited to the Bush Hall and the Barbican for sure) to really showcase the lyrics, as Russell stated.

Again, let me stress that Sparks are NEVER a disappointment... but from the promotional material, I was just expecting something different and far more adventurous.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved it all, especially the arrangement for N1SIH; very trancey although it could have done with a more definition in the beat (or perhaps it was the sound system).
Conn
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic night! Really wasn't sure they'd pull it off, but I can honestly say there were times when I didn't even notice the lack of band! Can't wait for October! And it was really nice to finaly meet some of you guys at long last!
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was completely blown away by their performance! The venue itself was wonderfully intimate and the amount of songs they played was amazing. Ron's overture was fantastic, I could listen to him play segments of Sparks songs all day. Some brilliant surprises too, Sherlock Holmes, The Wedding, Under the Table With Her etc. The Rhythm Thief was a huge highlight for me as it's one of my favourites and I've always wanted to see Sparks play it live

It's incredible the amount of energy two people can create on stage, I didn't miss the other instruments at all - Ron's keyboard sound provided a rich and 'full' sound, nothing felt lacking! I don't know how Russell manages to be so active throughout an entire show, he's amazing.

Bring on October!
electric elver
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At tmb, NO, you are not the only one who was bedevilled by the spinnning-light-show! I had to look down numerous times, fixing my gaze firmly on the feet of the person in front of me. Else I would've keeled over sideways, and then, oh, the shame.
cygnenoir
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Murray wrote:
I posted a couple of you tube links this morning that have now been removed from the forum.

Also, another link, that was on line this afternoon , has now been removed from you tube.

Just info.

Huh. Well, that explains why I didn't find anything there!

I mean, usually after any show of any kind someone posts (even a tiny snippet of) video.

What does it mean? Well, I suppose it means that unless I can get myself to the UK or Germany in October (quite unlikely), I have to live vicariously through you all!
Loreley
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in no way a complaint, as I enjoyed it immensely, but I was hoping they would do a bit more of the 80s-stuff, as they seem to neglect that period the most.

Of course, they did do Sherlock Holmes, which I love and hadn't even dared to hope they would do, so I'm really happy with that. It's just that I feel like I've heard all the 70s-stuff done like that a thousand times before, so not really new. Besides, it would be nice to go to a show where they didn't do This Town or Mother Earth, and leave space for stuff like Where's My Girl or Kinda Like The Movies. This is a concept that will attract fans so they could safely go for the more obscure stuff.

...and I know Ron is a keyboard guy, but how cool would it be if they did this tour with a grand piano??

I do believe this was a test-run for the tour, so let's hope they consult the forum for what to change. (Even though I won't get to see it!)
Pim Derks
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from London. It was an awesome gig. Highlights for me were:

[*]Ron's overture
[*]Metaphor
[*]Wedding Of Russel....
[*]Excerpt From...
[*]Hospitality On Parade

I have to say I was a bit disappointed by the setlist. I was expecting more rarities instead of a lot of stuff from the albums they 'recently' toured. It was awesome none the less, but I really hope that October will see a slightly more adventurous setlist, less focussing on Lil' B and HYL.

Also, the encore of N1SIH and Beat The Clock didn't do it for me.

But still, an awesome night, 2nd row in the front. Really hope they add more dates to the tour. And when can we get a download of the "Two Hands One Mouth" song played at the start and end of the how? :)[/list]
Pim Derks
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how awesome would it be to have some of this stuff recorded in the studio, along with the new tune?

Quote:

Sparks - Two Hands, One Mouth
01. Overture
02. Metaphor
03. Sherlock Holmes
04. Under The Table With Her
05. Dick Around
06. Something For The Girl...
07. Propaganda/At Home At Work At Play
08. Hospitality...
09. "Excerpt From The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman"
10. The Rhythm Thief
11. Good Morning
12. Change
13. Two Hands, One Mouth

Probably won't happen though :( :(
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the tales of two professional mics in the audience area leading to rumours of a CD of the event....I think that the show may have just been recorded by R & R for them to gauge what worked best in their own estimation...
Pim Derks
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we'll see a release of this. But it'll probably end up in the archives, like the 2009 set of gigs which was professionally recorded :(
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A live CD/DVD of this tour HAS to happen! I have my hopes up on a filming crew being present at the Barbican show.

Maybe they could release it as a box set with the 2009 shows.. I know I'm seriously raising my hopes on that front, but I would buy it in a heartbeat!
systemr2000
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To paraphrase: 'Thank you God, for something rare as this, what surely was for us a holy night of bliss..'

From where I was standing, I thought the sound was top notch. Every note from Ron's keyboard was clear and dynamic.

Highlights for me included:

+ Great to hear Ron doing the 'I Am Ingmar Bergman' speaking part; sounded really powerful.

+ Russell's expression/glance as he sang the line 'I hope it's just your laugh that is infectious'; kind of comedic, stood out to me and don't remember it in the same way as the ECOTD '09 gig.

+ Mind-bending and thrilling to see the Ron shuffle in the flesh, and although I was sober it looked like an illusion of someone else wearing a big smiley Ron Mael mask?! That man has a remarkable physique!

Was only my second Sparks gig and have got plans to see the Manchester and London dates in Oct; feel convinced there'll be a slight difference in setlist!

Definitely one to see if you can.

Lovely to see so many forumers there old and new :) We missed you, Kermit!

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: