SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sparks in San Francisco

View previous topic :: View next topic  
My Other Voice
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Sparks in San Francisco Reply with quote

I saw them on April 10th, my first live show in over 35 years. The emotion of seeing them take the stage was overwhelming, especially the intimacy of just the two of them and the crowd of passionate fans. Russell sounded magnificent and Ron's playing, especially on the overture, was stunning. The highlights for me were Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth, This Town (the crowd went wild!), and Sherlock Holmes (so moving), but I savored every note of every song, not to mention Ron's little dance and subsequent loosening of tie. I just love them so much....

By the way, I went to the City Lights Bookstore a couple days after they'd been there (adorable Twitter photo!) and asked the clerk about their visit. He'd not been there, but said someone is writing a book on them, apparently a fellow who has followed them around on tour. Sounds intriguing!

Thank you with all my heart to Ron and Russell for a brilliant, unforgettable night.
Fan Club member #643
My Other Voice
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: P.S. Reply with quote

Whoops, forgot to mention Rhythm Thief--just glorious!
Fan Club member #643
MrDemotime
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thanks My Other Voice for your wonderful comments about the San Francisco show!
My Other Voice
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, MrDemotime. It will stay with me for a long time.
Fan Club member #643
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparks in San Francisco Reply with quote

My Other Voice wrote:
I saw them on April 10th, my first live show in over 35 years. The emotion of seeing them take the stage was overwhelming, especially the intimacy of just the two of them and the crowd of passionate fans. Russell sounded magnificent and Ron's playing, especially on the overture, was stunning. The highlights for me were Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth, This Town (the crowd went wild!), and Sherlock Holmes (so moving), but I savored every note of every song, not to mention Ron's little dance and subsequent loosening of tie. I just love them so much....

By the way, I went to the City Lights Bookstore a couple days after they'd been there (adorable Twitter photo!) and asked the clerk about their visit. He'd not been there, but said someone is writing a book on them, apparently a fellow who has followed them around on tour. Sounds intriguing!

Thank you with all my heart to Ron and Russell for a brilliant, unforgettable night.

Appreciating this review, which is a real pleasure to read. It also makes me think of the recent UK shows, packed with such enthusiastic crowds. At the time, I also sensed, that with just the two of them on stage, there was an incredible amount of emotion flowing from the crowd.

I suspect City Lights is the store planning a launch event for this new cult book. Regrettably, it hasn't quite had the profile it deserves on this forum far less anywhere else.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sparks-tastic-Tosh-Berman/dp/0983925585/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356872071&sr=8-1
21x21 was mind-blowing!!!!! Frankly it was most amazing rock experience ever to feature a single band. MiniPop Anyone with a little bit rock'n'roll in their soul should grab a copy. I salute Tosh for his efforts in trying to give it a place in history. With a little emotional trepidation, I am looking forward to reading this.
My Other Voice
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the info about the book; I can't wait to read it! Such an amazing feat, and I will forever regret not flying over to see every one of them.

A couple more bits about San Francisco. The venue was an older (for the U.S.) building, formerly a church and then mortuary, with a wonderfully spooky atmosphere. They added "Angst in My Pants" near the end, a big crowd fav needless to say. Apparently Jane Weidlin (alas, no "Cool Places") and members of Franz Ferdinand were in the crowd, but I didn't see them, not that I knew what the latter looked like, especially in the crush of bodies on the floor. I sat upstairs in a small balcony area with the more sedate (aged!) fans to drink it all in and not miss any of Russell's fancy foot work, nor those adorable short trousers.

Adorable emoticons, by the way!
Fan Club member #643
Notnastassia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Sparks In san francisco Reply with quote

I saw both shows in San francisco, can't add much more than what My Other Voice posted. Great venue (hope to see more shows there), fantastically receptive crowds, and the power of the songs shone through like never before.
I think the two outstanding songs were 'At Home at Work at Play', and 'Suburban Homeboy'. I was never a fan of 'Suburban Homeboy' before the concert. Now I cannot get it out of my head; I think this is how the song was meant to be done, in my opinion!
Notnastassia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for anyone who saw both SF shows: Is it my imagination or did they leave out 'Hospitality On Parade' the second night?
My Other Voice
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notnastassia,

Funny, 'Suburban Home Boy' has also been in my head for days, even waking with it happily playing. The lyrics are so amusing "...pop the cap of some fool at The Gap..." "She's from the projects in Saint Tropez," et cetera. I appreciate it much more now than when the album came out.

I thought I heard 'Hospitality on Parade' on the second night, but I may just think I had because of listening to the 'Two Hands One Mouth" album so often. Do you happen to remember if they left out any other songs from the album?
Fan Club member #643
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: P.S. Reply with quote

My Other Voice wrote:
Whoops, forgot to mention Rhythm Thief--just glorious!

In Philly they opened with Rhythm Thief. GREAT choice.

Thanks for sharing your comments, sorry I didn't read and respond to them until now.

MrMonte
My Other Voice
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMonte,

I'm just so thrilled to have seen them. And yes, Rhythm Thief was beautifully done. So many groups sound better on their records, but Ron and Russell are maybe even better live, as I think you may have said.
Fan Club member #643
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: