SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scary Sparks Fans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you have ever met another Sparks fan were it not for the internet machine?
yes
47%
 47%  [ 20 ]
no
52%
 52%  [ 22 ]
noidea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 42

mampam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Scary Sparks Fans Reply with quote

I was a bit nervous when I found this internet site because in 30 years I'd never met another Sparks fan, and my natural reaction was to run away. It's music I listen to when nobody is around to tell me not to do it. Anyway I gathered up the courage to come back, say hello and ask if, as I suspect, there are many other people who had no reasonable expectation of ever meeting another Sparks fan without the marvellous internet machine? When I bought Propoganda and Kimono my house I took them to school to share them with my friends, but soon realised it was a fruitless and humiliating pursuit. Nobody could get pleasure from it but me. I thought I had bought them all since, but glancing through these pages I understand that I am missing a few. Anyway I gave up trying to get anybody else to listen to them after Beat the Clock got me in trouble with the noise abatement police. Part of the problem I suspect is that there are some deeply uncool songs on almost very album. For example nobody who listens to Pineapple or Thats not Nastasia is going to come back for more. But most of the problem is people's inability to cope with anything so sophisticated in pop music. When I bought the last album I took it to my neighbours and left it there. He returned it with a slightly pitying look and a bewildered shake of the head. Which makes me wonder whether there are many fans who listen to the music in the company of other people, or do most of us do it away from scornful ears? Expressions like ahead of its time are cliched it's true, but this is light years ahead. So forgive the paragraph but it's not everyday you meet a Sparks fan so I thought I should make the most of it. In company I have been listening to a lot of Johnny Cash recently, and wondered idly whether the MIB would have ever sung a Sparks song, and if so which one. I think he would have done a mean beat the clock myself, or here comes bod9bob?) anyway I'm just blethering now, getting nervous, better go
Daniel
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: It's okay! Reply with quote

Hey and welcome!

Spark fans are a special breed and far and few between. The lyrics are clever and the music has it's own magic. The Maels do not look like they would be in the same band, but blend so well. Consider yourself above average and blessed! :D

I have been very fortunate. I met a Sparks fan back in the 70's. We went to different schools, but that did not stop us from meeting and record shopping for their(Sparks) latest. However, for over 20 years I did not meet another, until I came here. Now I know another fan in my state and several world wide.

The Forum is a great source of information, as is this entire site. You will meet many fans. Enjoy your visits!
cfsmtb
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 1980 I've only met one other Sparks fan, met heaps here though. Think I'm in the wrong part of the world. sigh :cry:
killmary
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i met a scary german sparks fan once....actually she was pleasant but not my type....dubiousdave was dodgy too then he killed mary....but sparks fans are probably open to music rather than just listening to whats around at present
Xenophile
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Just consider yourself eclectic Reply with quote

Quote:
...nobody who listens to Pineapple or Thats not Nastasia is going to come back for more.

That's just not true. Obviously, Sparks isn't for everybody. I've had Pineapple going through my head many times, and I still keep playing my Indiscreet vinyl after all these years. My four-year-old's favorite tracks on that album are It Ain't 1918 and Get In The Swing.

Now, the disco and electro-pop stuff didn't do alot for me... but I find the Mael brothers' dedication to their vision extremely inspiring. I can't think of another recording artist who has made me experience a kind of epiphany more than once. Sparks did it to me many years ago with Kimono My House... and then again last year with Lil' Beethoven.
mampam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just consider yourself eclectic Reply with quote

I agree there are some very good songs on Indiscreet, but Pineapple isn't one of them. It's beyond bad, it's one of the most awful songs I've ever heard. The tune is dubious and the words are inane and it goes through my head a lot too, I can't get rid of it. But that's my opinion.
cactusboy
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: pineapple Reply with quote

is about as unique as it comes.. and I believe one of the few songs Russell is credited as writing lyrics for .. someone will correct me If I am wrong..
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that's enough.
I am going to say it now.

I love 'Pineapple'.

I think it's a great song. I remember the first time I heard it. The start it awesome, i mean, c'mon, that's some great singing. Russell wrote the whole thing, lyrics and music. Also, the song structure reminds me of 'This town ain't big enough.'. I just think it has a great flow.
cfsmtb
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oye, fossil
what suburb are you in? I'm inhabiting Richmond at present. Another Sparks fan in Melbourne, sh 8O t!
SOLDAT
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the ONLY fan from Romania. I never met a Sparks fan in my country
Vixen
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I love "Pineapple" too. I'm learning their stuff all at once, and the melody and lyrics of Pineapple just stick with me.

Indiscreet is an awesome album; my favorite so far. (There are about 6 more I've never heard... it's fun being a new Sparks fan.)
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in donvale/nthringwood
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Pineapple is one of those songs which provokes the reaction of 'what the f**k was that?' (along with She's An Anchorman or Propaganda, perhaps). It's neither conventionally 'good' nor 'bad', it's strange and makes you think a bit.
Orange Sound
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buna ziua, Soldat. Numele meu este Orange Sound.
Scuzat'i-mã: I can't really speak Romanian.

I'm curious to know what was your first introduction to Sparks' music in Romania? 8O
Twinspark
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, heh, I love Pineapple too. And Russell wrote it!
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 15 year old 'punk' sister happened to walk in as it started.

:wink:

indiscreet $6
the look on her face during pineapple - priceless
ladystardust
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: french pineapple Reply with quote

pineapple is my favourite song... Is it serious, doctor?
I think my family and I are the only one sparks fan in France.... 8O
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OuterSpace
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're wrong, ladystardust, you're wrong... :lol:
Dire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: silly songs Reply with quote

I think "Pineapple" is wonderful, it has a great Van Dyke Parks feel to the arrangement, and the whimsy of the subject matter is very Ray Davies-ish... The harmonies are gorgeous too

And "That's Not Nastassia" is probably my fave song from Whomp That Sucker...I wonder, is it a tune about Ms. Kinski? The melody and Russell's voice are just infectious...

There's nothing wrong with silly tunes!!!
JoAnn
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with you more, Dire :D It's the kind of tune that pops into your head for no reason at all (well maybe a trip down the fruits and veggie isle) and makes you smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Polls All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: