SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Set List- Pontiac, MI 04 Nov 2013

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETJOHNS
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Set List- Pontiac, MI 04 Nov 2013 Reply with quote

Sparks Show Set List- The Crofoot Ballroom; Pontiac, MI
04 Nov 2013

1. Your Call's Very Important to Us [Russell enters stage, starts singing over looped music, then Ron enters stage, sits down at keyboard and starts playing]

2. How Do I Get To Carnegie Hall?
3. B.C.
4. Here in Heaven.
5. Academy Award Performance
6. Those Mysteries
7. Good Morning
8. Falling in Love with Myself Again
9.Big Boy
10. (What would) Katharine Hepburn (say?); song written by Sparks for Christi Hayden

(Russell shares upcoming plans for movie release of The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman)
11. Excerpts from The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman (1st excerpt "I Am Ingmar Bergman" Ron narrates)

12. Nicotina
13. Popularity
14. This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us
15. (When I Kiss You) I Hear Charlie Parker Playing
16. Suburban Homeboy
17. When Do I Get to Sing "My Way"

ENCORE
18. Tryouts for the Human Race
19. The No. 1 Song in Heaven
(Russell intros Ron, Ron shares a few words of gratitude to audience)
20. (Revenge of) Two Hands, One Mouth

The show was great, and the audience was very involved and seemed to enjoy all the songs, regardless that some were not "hits" and lesser known (proof that American Sparks fans know the band by their whole catalog and not by their hits). I learned from my conversations with several fans, from young to old, this was their first Sparks show, which made the show even more special.

I had brought my 7-year old son Garrett who is a huge fan. He ended up being allowed immediately off of Stage Left for the best view in the house!
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Set List- Pontiac, MI 04 Nov 2013 Reply with quote

If I would have been able to make a show, this would have been it.

ETJOHNS wrote:

The show was great, and the audience was very involved and seemed to enjoy all the songs, regardless that some were not "hits" and lesser known (proof that American Sparks fans know the band by their whole catalog and not by their hits). I learned from my conversations with several fans, from young to old, this was their first Sparks show, which made the show even more special.

Isn't Sparks by definition "lesser known"!

You are surprised that it was the first Sparks show for many, I have a question. How many times have Sparks toured the Midwest the last 30 years (serious question).

Glad you had a great time.
ETJOHNS
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Set List Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I believe that it has been 31 years, believe it or not that they were in town (1982), same gap as another fan posted for in Boston, so it looks like a large part of their native land has been untouched by Sparks-dom for over a generation. But even so, I was still surprised that out of the fans I met, all were first-timers, as at least one was of the age to have been an adult fan during the band's mid-70's entry on the music scene. In fact, I believe that this was the same gentleman that said he had a chance to see them when he was living in Europe, but missed that oppotunity.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I saw them on the Angst tour at Cleveland Agora and met them afterward, great night. I passed on seeing them later on when they opened for Rick Springfield. I don't regret passing on a short set played to people wanting to hear Jesse's Girl.
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Yep, I saw them on the Angst tour at Cleveland Agora and met them afterward, great night. I passed on seeing them later on when they opened for Rick Springfield. I don't regret passing on a short set played to people wanting to hear Jesse's Girl.

I was at that show in Cleveland! First time I saw them! I remember a few minutes before showtime, Russell peeking through the curtains to take a look at the crowd.

Fun night!

The whole Rick Springfield thing was kind of surreal. Not surprised when it ended with a parting of the ways mid-tour.

(note: I erroneously referred elsewhere to the Key Club show in 1998 as the first time I saw them, but this was actually it).
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMonte wrote:

I was at that show in Cleveland! First time I saw them! I remember a few minutes before showtime, Russell peeking through the curtains to take a look at the crowd.

There must have been over 100 people in line before doors opened, electric atmosphere. Afterwards I had Russell and Ron sign a ticket stub my cousin had sent me from the Whiskey A Go Go (April 30) show. For some reason I thought that was a cool thing to get signed. Bob Haag signed the back of it, he said you don't want my name with theirs.
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
MrMonte wrote:

There must have been over 100 people in line before doors opened, electric atmosphere. Afterwards I had Russell and Ron sign a ticket stub my cousin had sent me from the Whiskey A Go Go (April 30) show. For some reason I thought that was a cool thing to get signed. Bob Haag signed the back of it, he said you don't want my name with theirs.

I loved that Bob Haag band. I miss them. They were great!
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is insanely, ridiculously, great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3-Wubjmb8Q
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While at youtube I saw this 35 minute documentary from a few years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoDVHR7UuA
What's the deal with this? Is this on DVD?

Overall, I thought it was well done.
ETJOHNS
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Response to Buckeye Randy Reply with quote

Yes, I love this documentary, especially the 'live' Baby's Taking Me Home with Ron doing the poetic monologue. I believe that it was 'jedenobel's college thesis.

OK, while I have you on the live Sparks topic, please go to this YouTube link for opening Ron intro and Hospitality on Parade and help me out for answer to my question.

PLEASE HELP.
ETJOHNS
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Response to Buckeye Randy Reply with quote

The link is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jduO2JBT2sg

Unfortunately, for whatever reason comments have been diabled. I posted and asked what is the 2nd song played by Ron in the piano intro, and listed all the other ones.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Response to Buckeye Randy Reply with quote

ETJOHNS wrote:
I posted and asked what is the 2nd song played by Ron in the piano intro, and listed all the other ones.

Looks, looks, looks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: