SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Union Chapel 1 December

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Union Chapel 1 December Reply with quote

Another excellent Sparks show.

Up until the encores, I felt the crowd a bit more subdued than on 24th, maybe because (I imagine) so many of them were, like me, seeing this show for the second time, so I suppose they knew what was coming.

Ron and Russell played and sang brilliantly, of course. I felt that, if anything, Russell put in an even better performance tonight than a week ago. The moment when he realised he couldn't find his microphone was hilarious! I was right in front of the two of them and spotted the tiny signal to Ron which clearly meant "keep playing".

There was little doubting the warmth of the reception that the boys received, though, and they do seem to be genuinely surprised and moved by it in equal measure. Ron saying that our continued support is the only thing that spurs them on to keep creating new and exciting music was sincerely heart-felt.

Superb! If you haven't seen this tour yet, you've missed out big time!
Sigita
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just come back home, am still in a sort of daze. It's only the second time that I saw them live (I know, I know), previously it was Two Hands, One Mouth tour in Lithuania... I didn't think I could be more surprised by them but it's Sparks, they always find the way to top themselves. Russell's voice is in astonishing form, I cried again from the sheer beauty of it (yes, I do cry at the drop of the hat ). Union Chapel as a venue is all kinds of amazing, going to a gig in an old church is always something special. Seeing Sparks there - doubly so.

I'm also very glad to have met some of the forum members, putting names to faces is always fun! (even if I'm really terrible with names to be quite honest)

My only regret is that I can't go to the gig tomorrow.
lemonjellydude
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also there last night, I was happy with my seat being on Rons side!.
This is only the 3rd time I have ever seen them and in my eyes was their best performance I had seen of them yet!.
Really interesting selection of songs, really loved hearing those mysteries & nicotina. I was also surprised at how well the stripped down version of 'big boy' sounded.
The maels were on fine form and like others have said the church venue was perfect for them and the acoustics were just fantastic!.
Really hope to see them live again next year!
systemr2000
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the gig I was amused by the way Russell moved during 'Big Boy' - hopefully someone recorded a clip so I can remember exactly what he was doing. Top marks for keeping 'Good Morning' on this tour - the reception it got was noteworthy. Some thrilling and unexpected song choices too.
Cherished every moment, so bring on whatever comes next (in 2014 we trust).
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another phenomenal Sparks show. I left with an uncontrollable grin on my face - such a special night!
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aled wrote:
Another phenomenal Sparks show. I left with an uncontrollable grin on my face - such a special night!
I know...you were almost walking on air leaving the hall....
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great night. Meeting up with so many friends from the 21 nights tour before the gig for a beer and a meal was a perfect start to the evening. The "Hope & Anchor" pub welcomed all Sparks fans nicely and I did catch a bit of Sparks on the jukebox playing somewhere. Shame we don't have the Eddie no more to party in but some certain people did make the trek down to the, now flats, Eddie, to recreate the group photo from 21 nights after the night was over later.

The Union Chapel is such a wonderful venue though. Great acoustics and a perfect setting for "The Revenge". Shame "Notre Dame " wasn't in the set cos it couldn't have been more perfect but the set list was another good one anyway. "Popularity" worked really well and got the crowd going. "Tryouts for the Human Race" was a good choice too from the "the Number 1 Song" album. Such treats as "Big Boy", "Carnegie Hall", "BC" & "Up here in heaven"....so fab!!! Keeping "Good Morning" in the set is always fantastic but I did miss my "Dick Around". I hope the "Revenge" will get a release like the "2 hands 1 mouth" album.

Being December 1st World AIDS day I did say a little prayer in the chapel to all those up there in heaven that would have loved to have been here tonight but sadly are gone. There are many.

To top it all off though I got to meet Ron & Russ before the Monday night show for a quick chat and a photo. Icing on the cake for a Sparks fan. Thank you Mr Maels. One happy Sparks fan here!!
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
Aled wrote:

"Walking on air"? Is this some kind of Aled Jones joke, Alex? ;)

Haha, it's what a Sparks show does to me! So sorry I couldn't stay around for a longer chat - I had to make sure I caught the early Sunday night train back home. I'll definitely be sure to meet up at whichever pub everyone congregates at next time...
MR JONES
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh!! so none of you were upstairs...

from where the lights were dull, the acoustics were dreadful, Ron's keyboard was ear-splittingly high pitched and monotonous, some of Ron's solos sounded like he was trying to come up with a jingle and failing... badly. I found myself, within fifteen minutes of the start... wanting it to end.

I am a Sparks fan... born and bred... I love them to bits but this was dreadful, even worse than the worst concert I have ever been to (Kraftwork).

Unfortunately, Sparks stripped bare doesn't work. Everyone cheers our Emperors and their smashing new suits, because it's Sparks... and we cheer them. But sometimes the Emperors are stripped a little too bare and some idiot... like me... shouts...

'Hey, the emperors are stark bollo*k naked!' and it isn't pretty.

I have never wished a Sparks concert to end before... but I was so glad that this one ended, seemingly early.

Ron's music is normally so highly polished, that the raw material is like water that isn't wet... I don't wanna drink it.

And when Ron spoke at the (thankfully early) end, I turned to my mate and said, 'Did you catch a word of that?' and he said, 'Nope!!!'

It hurts me to write this, cos I am (and remain) a Sparks fan, but I have to wonder how many Sparks Fans are merely in awe of our Emperors new clothes.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you had such a bad experience Tel, and I can back up your claim to be a dyed-in-the-wool Sparks' fan...I was downstairs...about 6 rows back...(the glint of lights off my pate might have blinded you)..but the sound was genuinely tremendous where I was. Every note and word was far from you described (Ron is always quietly spoken on stage when thanking the crowds, so you always have to have your ears pricked up.)...and the following night in the 2nd row was much the same. If any other "upstairs" attendees agree with you because it was as you said, I'd honestly be surprised as those Gothic arches are well known for their acoustic enhancement (I worked in a lady vicar's house who recently attended a rendition of 16th century hymns...vocals only...who was upstairs and said to me it was incredible.). I mentioned to a few people that I wouldn't have minded being upstairs.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aled wrote:
Alex Robertson wrote:
Aled wrote:

"Walking on air"? Is this some kind of Aled Jones joke, Alex? ;)

Haha, it's what a Sparks show does to me! So sorry I couldn't stay around for a longer chat - I had to make sure I caught the early Sunday night train back home. I'll definitely be sure to meet up at whichever pub everyone congregates at next time...
At least our brief meeting proves that we aren't figments of each others imagination....wait a minute...did anyone else see us chat?????...maybe I'm John Hurt to your Matt Smith...lol
alanphair
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was downstairs first night and upstairs at the very back, looking at the stage to the left. The sound was absolutely fine where I was sitting. On an earlier thread, someone was at the side and said the sound was awful. Maybe Mr Jones was at the side too? Or needs his ears tested??
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
Sorry you had such a bad experience Tel, and I can back up your claim to be a dyed-in-the-wool Sparks' fan...I was downstairs...about 6 rows back...(the glint of lights off my pate might have blinded you)..but the sound was genuinely tremendous where I was. Every note and word was far from you described (Ron is always quietly spoken on stage when thanking the crowds, so you always have to have your ears pricked up.)...and the following night in the 2nd row was much the same. If any other "upstairs" attendees agree with you because it was as you said, I'd honestly be surprised as those Gothic arches are well known for their acoustic enhancement (I worked in a lady vicar's house who recently attended a rendition of 16th century hymns...vocals only...who was upstairs and said to me it was incredible.). I mentioned to a few people that I wouldn't have minded being upstairs.

I went upstairs for the first UC gig. It is an unusual venue in that you can almost be sat behind the performers,which is where I sat at first. The sound quality was dreadful, clearly because you are, to all intents and purposes, behind the speakers. I moved around, almost side on and it was perfect. A little surreal, as you are able to watch the bulk of the audience watching the concert as well as taking it in yourself.
aussie
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the problem with the venue or the sound people, I find it hard to believe r/r have become crap overnight. r/r do not just turn up and take the money, they will always give 150% to the people who part with there hard earned cash, in saying that we all have our off days
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sitting at the sides for the two London gigs I went to, and the sound was perfect, I thought. The sound quality at the Bristol gig was noticeably less.
I really enjoyed the shows, although I wouldn't want the band to always tour in the recent stripped-down format. It was nice to hear the songs in a different version, a little bit like the re-recordings on Plagiarism. The gigs were made even more enjoyable by meeting up with other fans in the Hope and Anchor before and after. Happy days!
MR JONES
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie wrote:
I find it hard to believe r/r have become crap overnight.

That's not what I said. Yes, to me that was an awful concert... one percussionist or one available computer/synthesizer could have saved it... but I guess that was not the point. Frankly, if all Sparks future performances struck me the same way; I could still not say they had turned crap overnight... because of their back catalogue. I just don't wanna see any more of THOM.

By the way.. oh okay... BTW... I actually enjoyed Katherine Hepburn... so perhaps I should STFU...
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the show on Mon 2nd Dec and enjoyed it immensely. I was sitting downstairs at the back on the left side and beneath the balcony. The sound was absolutely fine for me, although I did find it hard to hear Ron's voice clearly (but I have found that at other venues too). I have sat upstairs when I have seen other artistes here, both in the middle and at the left side, and have never had a problem with the sound. When they do the soundcheck, I don't suppose they check how it sounds from every seat in the house, just from a few key positions. The venue is octagonal, which must give its own unique sound problems and there are a few pillars for sound to bounce off and produce hotspots or blank spots. Being Victorian, it was never built for amplified sound, but for a single person speaking, possibly from the raised pulpit and perhaps a choir singing.

It was great to meet a few people from the forum in the Hope & Anchor afterwards. I've been on the forum since part way through the 21 Nights, so it was nice to put faces to names after all this time. It also gave me the chance to wear my DICK AROUND T-shirt again, as there are very few occasions when I could wear it without raising a few eyebrows!
No Tony Perkins
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was sat upstairs at the Union Chapel on 1st December and thought it was brilliant! (And I've seen Sparks lots of times).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: