SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other Artists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Murray wrote:
DJ set at O2 Arena tonight before Soft Cell

Number 1 in heaven played at 19.34 - followed by Divine -Shake It Up

Soft Cell due on stage 19.45

That's so cool, I love Soft Cell!! I bet it's amazing!!
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears
Album: The Difference Between Me & You
Released: September 17, 2018

I love looking forward to releases by artists that I like. I can get myself pretty worked up with anticipation and expectations. There is nothing quite like that first impression, how exhilarating.

However…I had none of that emotional baggage with the new one by Black Joe Lewis because I didn’t know there would be a new release! I wasn’t expecting a new release because the home page of his website doesn’t bother to mention it! Sure, the website had a new photo put up a month or so ago and I saw on his ‘tour’ page that there were upcoming shows but nary a mention of a new release….unless you went to the merch page.

Regardless, I found it and just in time to get acquainted with the songs before the show tomorrow at Cleveland’s Grog Shoppe.

Not familiar with Joe? This is the 6th release since 2007 and all have an R&B groove with some leaning toward funk or can even sound a tad punk at times. Black Joe gets lumped in with blues artists but that isn’t fair to his band, The Honeybears. I usually associate a jam element with blues and this band runs like fine oiled machine. Anyways, I discovered the band a little less than two years ago and consider myself a fan and the concert I saw the beginning of 2017 still burns bright.

I googled around a bit for info on the new one but all I can find are reviews written from the same press release. A little disappointing because his last release debuted at #3 on Billboard’s Blues chart. Am I surprised that an edgy release by a fringe artist is going unnoticed? How shocking!

However…I am here to spread the word so all is not lost! I’ll start by telling you the new one is produced by Stuart Sikes (The White Stripes & Modest Mouse). Having an experienced hand at the controls is a good thing as long as production does not over shadow the music. All is well here as the sound reminds me of a house band in a comfortable setting that is firing on all cylinders.

Surprises? Ha, I was walking around the house during the first listen and had to stop and do a double take…Yep, I was hearing Wilco’s ‘Handshake Drugs’. I really didn’t expect to hear a Jeff Tweedy song.

As far as everything else, it really is sort of unassuming but in a perfect way. The horns and keys fit the songs perfectly over various tempos as Black Joe shares his life stories. The hooks can be subtle and they lure you in closer and closer upon each listen. Seriously, I seem to discover something new with every listen which is good because releases I find instantly perfect tend to wear thin quickly.

My early favorites are ‘Culture Vulture’ and ‘No Rhyme Or Reason’….if you want high energy try ‘Girls On Bikes’, if you want a heavy handed groove try ‘She Came Onto Me’.

A very nice release by somebody I like and I can’t wait until I hear these songs live (tomorrow!).
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miss sparks wrote:
One of my favourite bands from the 80s Tears for Fears on TV tonight, on Strictly come dancing.

My Mother was always a big fan of them in the '80's and '90's. I saw them last year and they were really amazing (for an arena show, especially). Just wish they would have done more songs instead of being an opener for Hall and Oates.
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Best Voices In Rock
http://wncx.cbslocal.com/tag/greatest-voices-in-rock/

In case the link doesn't work: Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant, Paul Rodgers, Roger Daltry, Anne Wilson, Bob Seger, Stevie Nicks, Jim Morrisson, Steve Perry, Steven Tyler

We all have our favorites and this top 10 list is sure to irritate everybody just a little.

One of my favorite voices in rock that isn't popular enough to make a list like this is Harry Nilsson.

I know this is old, but oh well! The link no longer works, but you kindly listed the top ten, so thank you! Maybe I am biased, but I feel like Morrissey should be listed!! And yes, of course Russell's voice is perfect!!
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miss sparks wrote:
Depeche Mode are my second favorite band, playing tonight 3rd June in London. Wish i could of been there, but could only afford to see one band this year which is Sparks.

I love Depeche Mode, as well!! I saw them five years ago and of course they were amazing. Sadly, I also didn't get to see them on their latest tour they did nearest me.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears
Where: Grog Shop, Cleveland, Ohio
Tickets: $17

Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears are touring for their latest release, ‘The Difference Between Me And You’. Friday night saw Joe and his band make a stop in Cleveland along with openers Vug Arakas and Outside Voices. It is always a bonus when you can combine a concert with quality family time. Last night, Mrs. Buckeye and I were joined by our son-in-law and his twin brother for a night of music and camaraderie. This is at least the 4th concert in the last year I’ve seen with my son-in-law. I wonder if I get to keep him as a concert buddy if my daughter ever divorces him.

The Grog Shop is a near perfect club that holds around 400 people with almost no seating. It is simply a great sounding room with a bar at the back. This is my second time seeing Black Joe at the Grog Shop and about my 10th visit overall.

I have a question; why do opening bands sell their cds at shows? The answer is because Mrs. Buckeye will always buy one. On a positive note, I suppose that one of our many signed cds by bands that nobody has ever heard of might pay off if a member becomes a Senator or a serial killer or anything garnering notoriety outside the realm of music.

What’s the best part of a club show? I think the best part of a club show is that a premium place near the stage is earned by arriving early as opposed to arena shows where premium seats are earned by outbidding others for a golden V.I.P ticket. I love arriving early.

We were standing front and center at the thigh high stage when Black Joe Lewis plugged in his effect peddles and tucked a handwritten set list in front of the monitor. There was a buzz as the club neared capacity and anticipated the start of the show. Minutes later, Black Joe returned to the stage backed by his Honeybears (guitar, bass, drums, and two horns).

The band featured most of the songs from the recent release which was fine with me. These songs were built for the live performance. My favorites from the latest included 'Culture Vulture’ and ‘No Rhyme Or Reason’. One unexpected song that really took off in the live setting was 'Do Yourself In' which sounded like an anthem.

There just isn’t enough time to play all the older favorites but we did get to hear ‘Booty City’, Sugarfoot’, ‘I’m Broke’ and ‘Bitch, I Love You’.

When people talk about a ‘fat sound’ they are probably talking about the Honeybears. The dual horn attack is thick but it is the baritone sax that creates a warm hum. The guys mix up the types of horns a few times during the show but it is that fat sound that makes the impression. Actually, it is almost like three bands on stage at once. You have the horn section, you have the backbone of a simple drum kit and popping Rickenbacker and then you have the two guitar players trading licks. It all come together perfectly.

It was a bit disappointing that there was no encore but it in a way it was refreshing. How many times have you seen a band come out for an encore after a mediocre show with people already starting to head to the parking lot. Worse yet, a band withholds their most popular song until the encore.

The normal after show appearance at the merch table was delayed for at least 30 minutes but Black Joe eventually came out. This was the highlight of the night for me. I had taken a photo of Mrs. Buckeye and Black Joe Lewis together after the show we saw 18 months ago. Unbeknownst to Mrs. Buckeye, I had a 5’x7’ of this photo with me and after the show I had Black Joe sign it. Smiles by everyone.

Black Joe says a new album is already in the works and he hopes to visit Cleveland again next year. I’ll be waiting.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: The Monkees
Title: Christmas Party
Release: October 12, 2018

It’s that time of year again. We all prepare for the witching season as Halloween is just around the corner. The crispness in the air and leaves changing colors not only means that little goblins will soon be upon us but it also means that it is time for the onslaught of new Christmas albums.

I think Christmas albums by rock bands have come a long, long way the last 25 years. There was a time when rock artists might throw out a Christmas single but they were waaay too cool to commit an entire album to holiday spirit. I think Manheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra had allot to do with changing the culture. These bands showed that there was an audience for a real union between rock and Christmas. Now we have Brian Setzer, Cheap Trick and Jethro Tull all releasing albums that stand up strong against their finest work. Some Christmas albums have a novelty feel (Twisted Sister) but even those can be fun for a couple weeks out of the year. Buyer beware! There are allot of Christmas releases that just aren’t very good!

Did you like the Monkees’ 2016 album, ‘Good Times!’? I thought it was really good so I’m excited to hear some new music by The Monkees. Peter Tork, Michael Nesmith and Mickey Dolenz are all present on this latest. Davey Jones is also present due to some vocal tracks that were rescued from the vaults.

Guest contributors (songwriters and musicians) include Paul McCartney, Alex Chilton (Big Star), Roy Wood, Rivers Cuomo (Weezer), Andy Partridge (XTC), Peter Buck (REM).

Early highlights for me are Davey Jones singing ‘Mele Kalikimaka’, Mickey Dolenz belting out the blues on ‘Merry Christmas Baby’ and also faithfully covering Roy Wood’s ‘I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day. Early lowlight is covering McCartney’s ‘Wonderful Christmastime’, the original version sucks!

Surprise track as far as style is ‘House Of Broken Gingerbread’. It is not festive at all but is in fact pretty edgy. Peter Tork sings ‘Angels We Have Heard On High’ backed by a ukulele arrangement. Cheesiest track is Michael Nesmith singing ‘The Christmas Song’…however, I’m a sucker for this song so it’s all good.

This is very listenable. There are enough solid songs to make it a worthwhile addition to any holiday collection or a great gift for somebody that doesn’t know The Monkees are still relevant. Well done.

1. Unwrap You at Christmas
2. What Would Santa Do
3. Mele Kalikimaka
4. House of Broken Gingerbread
5. The Christmas Song
6. Christmas Party
7. Jesus Christ
8. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day
9. Silver Bells
10. Wonderful Christmastime
11. Snowfall
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nominees for 2018 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. This is one seriously flawed group! A couple memorable songs do not make an artist HOF worthy.

There are a couple artists that have spent their careers in the spotlight of popularity (Def Lep, Janet Jackson) and I suspect they are slam dunks to get in this year.

IMHO, I've seen Rundgren 17 times live so I'm a fan and would like to see him in despite how obnoxious his fans are about the whole thing. I also like Roxy Music quite a bit so no problem from me if they get inducted. (can Mott The Hoople be far behind?)

Most of the other nominees are niche artist that have performed on the outskirts of the public eye. I actually don't have a problem with these types of artists if they are influential to a genre.

•Def Leppard
•Devo
•Janet Jackson
•John Prine
•Kraftwerk
•LL Cool J
•MC5
•Radiohead
•Rage Against the Machine
•Roxy Music
•Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
•Stevie Nicks
•The Cure
•The Zombies
•Todd Rundgren

I will say that I've been to the RnR HOF several times and it is a great way to spend a day.
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Nominees for 2018 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. This is one seriously flawed group! A couple memorable songs do not make an artist HOF worthy.

There are a couple artists that have spent their careers in the spotlight of popularity (Def Lep, Janet Jackson) and I suspect they are slam dunks to get in this year.

IMHO, I've seen Rundgren 17 times live so I'm a fan and would like to see him in despite how obnoxious his fans are about the whole thing. I also like Roxy Music quite a bit so no problem from me if they get inducted. (can Mott The Hoople be far behind?)

Most of the other nominees are niche artist that have performed on the outskirts of the public eye. I actually don't have a problem with these types of artists if they are influential to a genre.

•Def Leppard
•Devo
•Janet Jackson
•John Prine
•Kraftwerk
•LL Cool J
•MC5
•Radiohead
•Rage Against the Machine
•Roxy Music
•Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
•Stevie Nicks
•The Cure
•The Zombies
•Todd Rundgren

I will say that I've been to the RnR HOF several times and it is a great way to spend a day.

Seems sad that Sparks isn't listed and Devo will get in before them. Also, Kraftwerk should already be in the "club" instead of a lot of really undeserving bands/"artists".
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaelGirl wrote:

Seems sad that Sparks isn't listed and Devo will get in before them. Also, Kraftwerk should already be in the "club" instead of a lot of really undeserving bands/"artists".

I respectfully disagree!

I live outside of Akron which is where DEVO is from and it is underwhelming the amount of support the hometown boys receive. They get no airplay on the Akron corp radio station (WONE) or the listener supported public station (91.3 The Summit).

I'm not saying radio play or hometown support should be criteria for the RnR HOF but I feel DEVO has been relegated to side show status along with the bearded lady. (Please don't tell me the bearded lady is in the circus HOF)

Kraftwerk is trickier because I've heard little about them since first hearing about them in the '70's. I decided to read up on Kraftwerk so I don't say something stupid (again).

I found this quote, "According to The Observer, "no other band since the Beatles has given so much to pop culture".

I am no longer worried about saying something stupid after reading that! I did look at their chart success and it appears that there are some hot spots for Kraftwerk and I simply don't live in one of them. It also appears that they are considered groundbreaking in their genre which means...I can't complain much if they get in. Maybe I'll see their exhibit my next trip up to the HOF!

What about the other acts, any comments?
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
MaelGirl wrote:

I respectfully disagree!

I live outside of Akron which is where DEVO is from and it is underwhelming the amount of support the hometown boys receive. They get no airplay on the Akron corp radio station (WONE) or the listener supported public station (91.3 The Summit).

I'm not saying radio play or hometown support should be criteria for the RnR HOF but I feel DEVO has been relegated to side show status along with the bearded lady. (Please don't tell me the bearded lady is in the circus HOF)

Kraftwerk is trickier because I've heard little about them since first hearing about them in the '70's. I decided to read up on Kraftwerk so I don't say something stupid (again).

I found this quote, "According to The Observer, "no other band since the Beatles has given so much to pop culture".

I am no longer worried about saying something stupid after reading that! I did look at their chart success and it appears that there are some hot spots for Kraftwerk and I simply don't live in one of them. It also appears that they are considered groundbreaking in their genre which means...I can't complain much if they get in. Maybe I'll see their exhibit my next trip up to the HOF!

What about the other acts, any comments?

I actually am a Devo fan, but I feel that Sparks are a better band than they are.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaelGirl wrote:
I actually am a Devo fan, but I feel that Sparks are a better band than they are.

I see your location is 'Ohio'. Did you go to the 'DEVOtional 2018' up at the Beachland in Cleveland? They had Devo tribute bands and autograph sessions. I think they do it every year.
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
MaelGirl wrote:

I see your location is 'Ohio'. Did you go to the 'DEVOtional 2018' up at the Beachland in Cleveland? They had Devo tribute bands and autograph sessions. I think they do it every year.

Never been to it, but seems like a fun time! Also somehow never been to Beachland Ballroom for a show in all my years of concert-going. Is it a nice venue?
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaelGirl wrote:
Never been to it, but seems like a fun time! Also somehow never been to Beachland Ballroom for a show in all my years of concert-going. Is it a nice venue?

The Beachland is my favorite place for a club show.

There is a Beachland Halloween party on October 27th. Ten cover bands on two stages for a whopping $8. Included is a Devo tribute band.

https://www.beachlandballroom.com/event/1763273-beachland-halloween-15711-waterloo-road/

Looks like a fun night
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
MaelGirl wrote:

The Beachland is my favorite place for a club show.

There is a Beachland Halloween party on October 27th. Ten cover bands on two stages for a whopping $8. Included is a Devo tribute band.

https://www.beachlandballroom.com/event/1763273-beachland-halloween-15711-waterloo-road/

Looks like a fun night

Sure does sound like a fun time, plus it seems like a bit of a cheap night for the amount of tribute/cover bands throughout the night!
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can't go to The Beachland on the 27th due to a previous concert appointment. I'll be spending Halloween with The Tubes in Akron at Tangiers.

This will be my third time seeing The Tubes ('79, '03, '18). The first was an arena show with support by Squeeze and April Wine. The last time and this time are at Tangiers which is a sit down dinner club.

Actually, I might not even be seeing The Tubes if my son's soccer team makes it to the district finals, Go Panthers!

Back to The Tubes. One of my favorite memories from around the time I graduated was riding around in my friend's Chevelle while he blasted an 8-track of 'What Do You Want From Live'. We were white punks on dope!

I actually think the credentials of The Tubes make them more qualified for the RnR HOF than several of the 2019 nominees. However, I will say that the music of The Tubes has not aged particularly well as far as classic rock radio.
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really listened to the Tubes, guess I'll look them up on youtube soon. I do however like Squeeze! That tangier place looks so cute!! Akron has some nice places to visit that I feel many people don't realize.

So are you going in costume for Halloween show?
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaelGirl wrote:
I do however like Squeeze!

Well...bottom of a three band bill at an arena was not an ideal way to see Squeeze! My memory from 1979 is not perfect but the crowd reception could best be described as semi-hostile.

MaelGirl wrote:
Never really listened to the Tubes, guess I'll look them up on youtube soon.

For starters...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9wuaVV33I
Enjoy!

MaelGirl wrote:
Akron has some nice places to visit that I feel many people don't realize.

I bet the Akron Bureau of Tourism is looking for some good reps, you should sign up.
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if he'll wear that outfit? lol!! Looking them up, I realized that I actually knew at least one of their songs from the '80's, "She's a Beauty". Very fun and so so '80's (which I love). Seems like it would have been in a silly movie during that decade, but I don't think I saw anything on their wikipedia page?
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaelGirl wrote:
"She's a Beauty". Very fun and so so '80's (which I love). Seems like it would have been in a silly movie during that decade, but I don't think I saw anything on their wikipedia page?

He did play one of the people from the future council in the movie, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. However, that movie is far from silly...it is more like...perfect.

BTW, Clearance Clemons from the E Street Band is also on the future council. No idea who the third person is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Stuff and Nonsense All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 8 of 18

Jump to: