SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other Artists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caird Hall Dundee 23 October

Altered Images - Claire Grogan was bubbly, chirpy and had a constant smile on her face - played the hits - managed to get my photo with her during the break.

The Christians - musically very good - special mention to the two guitarists / backing vocalists - need to cut out the " meant to be funny chat " between songs.

Midge Ure - cant fault him - he was excellent - 3 pcs backing group , drummer with 2 keyboard players ( who also did guitar/ violin) - a lot of Ultravox stuff.

Worth the £ 32 entrance fee.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: J Roddy Walston and the Business
Title: Destroyers Of The Soft Life
Release: September 29, 2017

Expectations!

For some reason, I expected this new one by J Roddy to be released in 2018...not over a month ago on September 29…damnit. Seriously though, I should be ecstatic and look at this like an early Christmas present. I mean, this is J Roddy who authored what I consider to be the best club show I EVER saw. This is J Roddy whose previous three releases are all loaded with memorable melodies and hooks o plenty. Like I said, I should be ecstatic.

However…as I listen I don’t feel like I’m opening an early Christmas present or test driving the latest model and getting a rush from that ‘new car smell’. I’m not sure if I have some residual resentment because I didn’t hear this the very second it was released or maybe it has more to do with expectations or possibly it has something to do with the music itself.

Half way through my first time of hearing “Destroyers Of The Soft Life”, I give a quick listen to a few songs from their self-titled second release and the results were just as I expected. “I Don’t Want To Hear It” and “Don’t Break The Needle” still kick ass. I had the same results when I revisited “Marigold” and “Same Days” from their previous release (Essential Tremors).

On the new one, “Ways and Means” really tries to be catchy but for me it just comes off sounding like Kings Of Leon, that’s a very bad thing to my ears. The guitar at the beginning of “The Wanting” sounds like about 20 songs by U2 and I don’t even make it through the first listen.

Most of the rest is slightly better and at least sounds like it could have been filler material on other releases. There is one exception that actually meets some sort of expectation; I like “You Know Me Better”.

It’s possible that some of these tracks will grow on me because I will play this for the next week because I really want to like it…I expected that I would like it!

This reminds me of buying Queen albums in the ‘80’s. I wanted to like the albums but I found them borderline painful. I just ended up playing one or two songs over and over again trying to meet some sort of expectation. In the end though, these albums always chased me back to earlier releases that caused all the expectations in the first place.

The self-titled second release by J Roddy really is good.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to and enjoying very much...Craig Robertson's The Day The Sky Exploded...current fave track is City Of Statues

https://craigrobertson.bandcamp.com/album/the-day-the-sky-exploded
miss sparks
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite bands from the 80s Tears for Fears on TV tonight, on Strictly come dancing.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miss sparks wrote:
One of my favourite bands from the 80s Tears for Fears on TV tonight, on Strictly come dancing.

They were on Radio 2 In Concert a few weeks ago. Their performance is still available on the BBC iPlayer for 5 days.

DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 3-CD retrospective has been in heavy rotation of late

And that's it
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more reunion tours.

Mott The Hoople will be playing some upcoming festival dates. Leading the charge is MTH frontman Ian Hunter and his regular band with special guests Ariel Bender and Morgan Fisher. Guitarist Ariel Bender and keyboardist were on MTH's last two albums ('The Hoople', 'Live').

Calling this Mott The Hoople is a bit creative but who doesn't love some glam era Ian Hunter.

Azkena Rock Festival Tickets (23 June)
Ramblin’ Man Fair Tickets (30 June)
Dalhalla Tickets (2 July)

Utopia (featuring Todd Rundgren, Kasim Sulton, Willie WIlcox, Ralph Schuckett) willl be doing 30+ dates on a North American tour.

Calling this Utopia is no stretch; this is 3/4 of the classic line-up and Ralph Schuckett was in the original line-up.

The setlist might be a challenge. I attended several Utopia shows in the '70's and they were chock full of solo songs by Rundgren. I would say often a 50/50 mix of Utopia songs and Rundgren songs. This was always a gray area, even in 1977.

Todd Rundgren's Utopia 2018 Tour
4/18 - Jim Thorpe, PA, Penn's Peak
4/20 - Englewood, NJ, Bergen Performing Arts Center
4/22 - Houston, TX, House of Blues
4/23 - Dallas, TX, Majestic Theater
4/25 - Broward, FL, Broward Center for the Performing Arts
4/27 - St. Petersburg, FL, Mahaffey Theater
4/28 - Atlanta, GA, Tabernacle
4/29 - Durham, NC, Carolina Theater
5/1 - Huntington, NY, Paramount Theater
5/2 - Washington, DC, Warner Theater
5/3 - New York, NY, Town Hall
5/5 - Philadelphia, PA, Tower Theater
5/6 - Boston, MA, Orpheum Theater
5/7 - Ridgefield, CT, Ridgefield Theater
5/9 - St. Louis, MO, Peabody Opera House
5/10 - Cincinnati, OH, Taft Theater
5/12 - Milwaukee, WI, Pabst Theater
5/13 - Minneapolis, MN, State Theater
5/15 - Grand Rapids, MI, 20 Monroe Live
5/15 - Toronto, ON, Massey Hall
5/17 - Detroit, MI, the Fillmore
5/19 - Cleveland, OH, Hard Rock Live
5/22 - Chicago, IL, Chicago Theater
5/24 - Denver, CO, Paramount Theater
5/26 - Las Vegas, NV, The Joint at Hard Rock
5/27 - Phoenix, AZ, Comerica Theater
5/29 - Los Angeles, CA, the Wiltern
5/30 - San Francisco, CA, the Masonic
6/1 - Seattle, WA, Moore Theater
6/2 - Portland, OR, Revolution Theater
6/4 - Sacramento, CA, Crest Theatre
6/5 - Riverside, CA, Fox Performing Arts Center

Last edited by Buckeye Randy on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reunion tour...one that I hopefully will be attending this Thursday; Uriah Heep

Besides having a great name, Uriah Heep songs still have a warm place in my heart. Who doesn't need some "Easy Livin''?

The current tour is featuring a whopping grand total of one original member, guitarist Mick Box. That seems sort of like false advertising or at least morally deceptive but in fairness to the band, two of the current members have been with them for 30 years.

My usual barometer for attending a show by a band from yesteryear is the vocalist.

Question: Does a band need to have the original lead vocalist for you to attend a show?
admiralhalfnelson
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Question: Does a band need to have the original lead vocalist for you to attend a show?

Yes. Bands touring under a certain name with few to zero original members is particularly common in the British glam scene.

There is a band calling itself "T. Rex" led by a man who was briefly a member of the touring band. I turned down the opportunity to see them at a seaside venue because I actually have some respect for Marc Bolan. Hardcore Bolanites have been chanting the mantra "No Bolan, no T. Rex" since Mickey Finn's cashgrab (which disappointed me as I liked Mickey a lot and thought he'd have a lot more respect for Marc by not misappropriating the name of his band).

I was taken to a "Slade" concert around Christmas and only two of the original members featured, none of them Noddy Holder. It was like watching a pub act covering Slade. I wouldn't have gone under my own free will.

Not to mention there are two versions of The Sweet (one US-based, one UK-based) featuring the grand total of one original member each, none of them Brian Connolly (for obvious reasons). Steve Priest, the sole original member of the US-based band, considers The Sweet to be a serious rock band and isn't too impressed by Andy Scott's "Sweet" doing Butlins tours with the Rubettes!

Sparks are pretty much the only band associated with that era not reduced to such trickery, and boy am I relieved. Could you imagine a band calling itself Sparks without Russ or even Ron? That would be musical blasphemy.

~23/5/18~

https://discord.gg/Hruaj6D ~ Sparks Discord
Lucky Me
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Etincelles" ("Sparks") by Moritz Moszkowski - A classical piece written in 1886 which has the name and something of the spirit of our heroes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fghIc3OxzI

Even faster than This Town or SFTGWE, phew.

(ps - the word "Etincelle" gives us "Tinsel" - something to remember when next putting up the Christmas decorations (thankfully a long way off).
admiralhalfnelson
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Me wrote:
"Etincelles" ("Sparks") by Moritz Moszkowski - A classical piece written in 1886 which has the name and something of the spirit of our heroes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fghIc3OxzI

Even faster than This Town or SFTGWE, phew.

(ps - the word "Etincelle" gives us "Tinsel" - something to remember when next putting up the Christmas decorations (thankfully a long way off).

Even the name of the composer brings to mind Miriam Moskowitz- Mama Mael (and Mary Martin)!

~23/5/18~

Lucky Me
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admiralhalfnelson wrote:
Even the name of the composer brings to mind Miriam Moskowitz- Mama Mael (and Mary Martin)!

Yes, I noticed that too, funny how life throws up these random coincidences!
admiralhalfnelson
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Me wrote:
admiralhalfnelson wrote:

Yes, I noticed that too, funny how life throws up these random coincidences!

And both the boys' parents had the initials MM before and after getting married, a very rare coincidence indeed!

~23/5/18~

Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mott The Hoople & Mountain...sorta...

It appears a mid '70's project by Corky Laing and Ian Hunter is being released as a band named Pompeii. Lots of star power included: Mick Ronson, Todd Rundgren, Felix Papalardi, Eric Clapton.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/pompeii-the-supergroup-that-never-was-to-release-long-lost-album-the-secret-sessions-on-record-store-day/
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly
Jacobs Pavilion at Nautica, Cleveland
June 1st, 2018

The 2018 summer concert season is upon us and it is hard to imagine a better kick off. This wasn’t only the kick off to my summer concert season but the first show of the first tour by these two long standing and defining bands of the Celtic punk.

There is always something a little special about the beginning of a tour and the fact this show quickly sold out just added to the excitement. What makes it better? The tix were a gift from my daughter and her husband. So now the stage is set, I have a car load of family members and perfect weather, let the festivities begin.

Nautica Pavilion is an amphitheater that holds 5000. It is split up between general admission bleacher seating and ‘pit passes’ for those that want to have a go of it up front. While bands perform you will be treated to looking across the Cuyahoga River at the Cleveland skyline and an occasional ship passing by. It can be quite picturesque.

There is always a fun vibe before shows. While waiting in line it always includes conversations about concerts of yesteryear. Once inside, there can be some good fun while watching other concert goers and listening to random songs through the PA. I doubt anybody keeps a list of all the great songs they’ve heard while waiting for shows to start. However…on this particular evening…mixed in among a punk playlist worthy of a boxed set release was an older song that sort of stood out. Mrs. Buckeye and I tried to guess what percentage of people listening to the pre-concert mix tape could name Mott The Hoople’s “Death May Be Your Santa Claus”. We decided that we were the only two people there and we danced.

The unadvertised opener was Jake Burns from Dublin’s punk pioneers, Stiff Little Fingers. This fit perfectly with both the Irish and punk themes for the evening. Jake played a 30 minute acoustic set which included some new material along with the more recognizable material by Stiff Little Fingers. Great hearing Nobody’s Hero” which is a top shelf anthem from punk’s first wave. A perfect way to enjoy my one and only $11 beer.

I didn’t realize just how long it had been since my only other Flogging Molly concert until I was tucking last night’s ticket stub away in the jewel case of “Swagger”. The ticket from last night’s show now sits beside a Flogging Molly ticket stub from 2004. Fourteen years, are you kidding me? I suppose the great thing about getting old is that 14 years does not seem like an eternity.

I’m here to say that 14 years has not dampened Flogging Molly’s enthusiasm on stage. If anything, this show was more energetic than the last time I saw them. The seven piece band mostly galloped through a best of set list while giving some plugs to their 2017 release, “Life Is Good”. My favorites from the evening were the rabble rousers such as “Drunken Lullabies”, “Swagger” and “Salty Dog”. Honestly though, everything sounded great and the band’s musicianship was on full display. One of the unexpected surprises was the first two verses of Queen’s “We Will Rock You” with the chorus supplied by the crowd.

One last tidbit. No matter how hard you try….it is tough to connect Dave King of Flogging Molly with Dave King that fronted the ‘80’s metal band Fastway. It really is the same guy but I would love to hear Flogging Molly do a Celtic take of “Say What You Will” just to prove it. I’m a dreamer.

This was my 5th Dropkick show. I’ve seen them play inside and I’ve seen them play outside. I’ve seen them play first and I’ve seen them play last. They play loud and sure do jam, I really like them, Sam I Am. (that damn Dr. Seuss)

Start again. I’ve seen the Dropkicks five times over the years and their delivery is always very direct and I can’t think of any band that connects more with their fans. A DKM show really feels like a celebration of ‘us against the world’. Last night was no different.

The show began in darkness with Sinead O’Conner’s “The Foggy Dew” being piped through the PA. This buildup lasts several minutes as the crowd get restless. The curtain drops and fans get a sensory overdose with blinding lights and thundering music. I love the start of DKM shows.

The first thing noticeable is Ken Casey is not playing bass. Ken Casey and Al Barr are both roaming the stage as vocalists. The reason? After the opening song, Ken shares the reason via the giant video screen which shows a picture of a bunch of stitches in the back his neck. That wasn’t the only bit of bad news that the band shared. It was announced that Al Barr’s Dad died two weeks earlier. There was a bit of a group hug and the show went on.

There is no way a band with nine studio albums can satisfy everybody but they tried by playing a ‘best of’ set. My favorites were “Barroom Hero”, “Johnny, I Hardly Knew You”, “State Of Massachusetts” and “Shipping Up To Boston”. Nice career overview which touched nearly every release.

Ken Casey apologized that Flogging Molly and DKM could not do some songs together but because of health and family reasons there had been no rehearsals. He did hopefully say that would change as the bands had a chance to work together.

The encore went as most normal DKM shows do with the audience being invited on stage. The stage filled one by one with hundreds of fans as the band played “Kiss Me, I’m Sh*tfaced” and closed with AC/DC’s “Dirty Deeds”. Nice show.

While both bands are classified as Celtic punks, they are different enough that you don’t feel like you are hearing the same thing for three hours. Flogging Molly brings a high level of musicianship to their ‘dance a jig’ style of Celtic music. DKM while featuring some traditional Celtic instruments are more closely aligned with hardcore punks. Both bring allot of energy and I’m sure the tour will only get better as it continues. Catch it if you can.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: Pink Spiders
Title: Mutations
Released: July 31, 2018

They’re Baaaack! It’s been ten years since we last heard from The Pink Spiders and now they’re back with their long awaited fourth release. Ten years doesn’t pass without some changes. Gone are Jon Decious (bass) and Bob Ferrari (World’s Greatest Drummer), and in are JoCo and Joey B-Side. The good news is that Matt Friction (vocalist, guitarist and principle songwriter) is still present and accounted for.

The previous three albums are distinctive from the home made sounding garage debut (Hot Pink, 2005) to the more punky sounding follow-up produced by Ric Ocasak (Teenage Graffiti, 2006) to new millennium slickness (Sweat It Out, 2008).

It is very easy when listening to The Pink Spiders to compare them with power pop bands of yesteryear such as; Badfinger, Big Star, Raspberries, Artful Dodger, Cheap Trick, Dwight Twilley and The Knack. It’s easy to hear all of those bands at one point or another. However, the comparisons never quite fit because there is something fundamentally different. It is like comparing the New York Dolls with glam bands (T-Rex, Sweet). There is something a little more dirty, dark and even unnerving for the truly innocent. Ha, maybe I say this because I’ve seen some alcohol fueled performances by The Pink Spiders that have stripped away any cutesy image and exposed a darker core.

After a few listens I can say the songwriting and production most closely resembles ‘Sweat It Out’ with their punkier side lurking just under the surface. The 11 tracks are all medium paced rockers with nary a ballad to be found. Early standouts are ‘Black Dagger’, ‘I Can’t Get Down Without You’, ‘Slippery Slope’ and pop perfection with ‘Easier Than Ever’. My favorite is ‘Penny Ante Avenue’, instant classic.

I’m not ashamed to say that I’m a fan and I can’t wait to see them in two weeks when they visit Cleveland. I won’t say this release is better than the previous two but I can say that I’m not disappointed at all. I’m really looking forward to hearing these songs live.

Mutations…good songs by a good band. Well done.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Spiders, Stalemate, Public Squares
August 16th, 2018
Beachland Tavern, Cleveland

Well, it has been nearly ten years since I took my daughter to her first concert and on that momentous evening we saw The Pink Spiders. Last night, we celebrated the ‘almost’ 10th anniversary with another show by The Pink Spiders.

There is something that is almost intimidating when entering a 20,000 seat arena to see a favorite band at the height of their powers. The expensive parking, the getting frisked by cops as you hand over the $100 tickets not to mention long lines for bathrooms or beverages in plastic cups followed by security personnel showing you exactly where your seats are.

On the flipside, there is a real charm to parking 50 feet away from the entrance and walking into a half empty tavern and ordering a can of beer. Additionally, it’s nice to see band members casually walking around their merch table before the show and talking with fans and signing anything. The Pink Spiders are not playing 20,000 seaters and I prefer the charm a tavern.

The opening bands came and went and I have to give a shout out to Public Squares for totally owning their futuristic alien theme, I loved it. Well done.

This is my daughter’s second time seeing The Pink Spiders, my sixth. Accompanying us was her husband who was seeing the band for the first time. It almost frightens me that there are only two bands that I’ve seen more than The Pink Spiders. Are the Spiders really the third most important band in my universe? Yikes!

The Pink Spiders are touring for ‘Mutations’ which is their fourth release and first full length cd since 2008. The touring line-up is the same as on the new release with the addition of a second guitarist to fill out the sound. The band has performed the last two shows I’ve seen as a three piece and in my opinion most the songs sound better with the extra guitar presence. Good decision by the guys bringing a second guitarist.

I’m nearly positive this is the 6th different line-up I’ve seen by The Pink Spiders with the only constant member being front man Matt Friction. That doesn’t say allot for the stability of the band but it does say something for Matt Friction’s resilience. We got some posters signed and talked a little with Matt before the show. I was cautiously optimistic about the evening.

The show started with smoke machines and strobe lights as the band thundered into ‘Soft Smoke’ followed by ‘Sleeping On The Floor’. Very strong opening aside from some minor monitor issues.

The band did equal amounts of their last three albums during the 20 song set. The guys even threw in a couple cover songs with Cheap Trick’s ‘I Want You To Want Me’ and ‘Janie Jones’ by The Clash. Speaking of throwing, Matt threw (gently tossed) his sunglasses to my daughter and she proudly wore them atop her head for the rest of the show. Back to music, those two cover songs sum up where the band is coming from; a focus on melody no matter if power pop or punk.

The band played most the songs a fan would expect. The biggest surprise was ‘Alone Together’ which was a bonus track from ‘Teenage Graffiti’. That was followed up with their final and most recognizable song,' Gimme Chemicals’. Totally impressed, best show I’ve seen by the band.

After the show, we bought some discs and chatted with all the members. It was allot of fun and now we have a ton of signed memorabilia and photos that will be worth a fortune if these guys ever start playing 20,000 seaters. Even if they don’t, we have things to remind us of a near perfect evening.

I hope they are still around in ten years to celebrate the 20th anniversary of my daughter's first concert. Well done!
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another band that i am completely obsessive about is They Might Be Giants. I love them and I feel like many other Sparks fans might like them, too.
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ set at O2 Arena tonight before Soft Cell

Number 1 in heaven played at 19.34 - followed by Divine -Shake It Up

Soft Cell due on stage 19.45
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

31 song set list
On stage for around 2hrs 45mins
Wonderful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Stuff and Nonsense All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 7 of 18

Jump to: