SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FFS at Troxy in London (June 29th 2015)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on the DLR same as the Troxy
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in London last weekend - part of the DLR was closed and a replacement bus service was in operation - not sure if it was only at the weekend or not
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a spare ticket available for cost price. PM me, if interested.
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Eric. Nothing on the TfL website so hopefully all ok
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel on the Docklands Light Rail was slick last night, and no sign of any frustrations.

Troxy well served for buses too.

http://www.troxy.co.uk/visitor-information/
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doors 7pm

Support 7.45pm

FFS 8.45pm

11pm Curfew
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess they learned how to play Achoo in the meantime ;-)
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FFS stuff was excellent. Sparks continue to innovate - that's why I love them.

I thought Achoo worked really well because the drums / bass / guitar(s) accompaniment really suited it. No 1 Song in Heaven was good too, though a bit dumbed down.

I have to confess to not being a Franz Ferdinand fan at all, though Do You Wanna was OK.

However, the venue was horrible. It was so hot that I couldn't stay to the end otherwise I feared I'd pass out. I went home when Take Me Out started, the first time I've ever left a Sparks gig before the end.
PeterE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJs8ItHhKVg
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was extremely hot, no air con, just some big fans at the back of the circle, I was in row m. Apart from Ron mopping his brow and wiping his hands on a towel, you wouldn't have thought it was hot at all but it must have been horrendous on stage under the lights.
Achoo was a nice surprise but I was hoping they would finish on the blustering guitar solo as demonstrated by Trevor White at the last convention, but we got the "official" version with all the sneezes.
You wouldn't have put Russell at 20+ years older than Alex, where does he get his energy? How do his knees cope with all the jumping?
Just a word about Teleman, the support act, they weren't bad. Sort of mainstream Rocky pop with the odd pink Floyd twiddly bit is how I would describe them.
All in all a magical evening.
Roll on Manchester

Last edited by Sparky Rickmaniac on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterE wrote:
Achoo

I wonder if any of the guys from Franz Ferdinand went to any of the 21x21 Spectacular nights? Propaganda perhaps?
PeterE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjadey wrote:
PeterE wrote:
Achoo

I wonder if any of the guys from Franz Ferdinand went to any of the 21x21 Spectacular nights? Propaganda perhaps?

I ve read somewhere that Paul (drummer) mentioned the
21 in 2008 (he also said that Exotic Creatures was his album of the year btw)
Zebedee
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was amazing! I was standing quite near the front, dead centre of the room. Great view. It was incredibly hot and, frankly, the crowd went mental. There was one chap in particular who was clearly off his trolley on something. He was crashing into everyone and someone took a punch at him (didn't stop him though as he continued like that for the rest of the concert, mainly on the left-hand side of the room); it was actually quite frightening at that point and for a moment I thought there was going to be a fight. I'm not sure whether the band noticed; around that time Nick said they were 'going to calm things down' and they played Things I Won't Get. I thought the security might have intervened, but they were nowhere to be seen (must have been lurking somewhere). Saying that, everyone else was just jumping for joy! Achoo was a highlight for me (Russell's voice just so beautiful) and also when he put his arm around Ron for him to sing his Collaborations line (is there a photo of that online anywhere? My friend and I almost dissolved into tears at that point). Russell looked so happy and was clowning around and Ron, well, he looked like Ron! All credit to the FF boys, too; Alex is a real showman and Nick did a bit of crowd surfing! Brilliant night!
alanphair
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a Sparks Show, but it was the next best thing.
It was incredibly hot at the front, but thanks to the staff who handed out water.
Teleman, the support band, were really enjoyable. Reminded me of Sailor at times as well as this band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxthQ3pm61U
I loved the 4 Sparks songs and I really liked all the FFS tracks. It did underline the difference for me between just how much attachment I have with Sparks music compared with FFS. That's not to say I haven't bought the album and play it constantly. I expect it just takes time.
I liked the on-stage bond that seems to have grown between the singers. Alex's dancing is so free and he seems so happy to be on stage with his heroes. How vocals now complement the songs more than I felt they did at first too.
I loved it and it was worth the 8-hour round trip. Thank you R&R once more.
lemonjellydude
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a great gig but not so fun venue conditions.
I actually love teleman so had I gone would have been very happy! oh well!
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a concert! Glasgow crowds are the best, I've said countless times on the forum. Last night, in the sweltering Troxy stalls, very near the stage, I stood corrected. Truly this show even topped the opening night! The crowd here, many of whom had flocked from beyond the British Isles, were amazing. Again, everyone was there as an FFS fan and numbers by each band were down as resoundingly as the fresh stuff.

The Railway Tavern did well to accomodate such an influx of FFS fans before and after the show, without any prior warning (mea culpa). It was great to see so many familiar 21x21 veterans and other faces from gigs, as well as meet FFS fans. I may have missed a few new faces in the crowded pub, especially if folk don't have a FFs, FF or Sparks t-shirt. I was forever being told off for letting slip details of the live performance.

How exciting were the band? They bounced from one song to the next. Its no wonder the exuberance was so infectuous.

Surprises were in store for us fans, who had experienced earlier gigs either by attendance or via TV or internet. I was enrapture when Alex announced a cover and they sprang into ... well do I give the title??.. my favourite Franz Ferdinand song, in fact, one of my favourite songs EVER!!

Someone afterwards was saying it was the best gig he'd been to. Fantastic.
veryoldfan
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an absolutely amazing gig, I’m still buzzing from it now nearly 24 hours later.
Yes it was stiflingly hot (and those of us up on the balcony had to pay for our water :-( ) but that’s the only complaint I have. Venue was otherwise great, perfect size and looked lovely, great sound and lighting. (Shame it’s in Limehouse buy hey you can’t have everything.)
The performance was, well, … wow. I have to confess that of late I’ve been thinking that Russell’s voice was maybe reaching the end of its shelf-life, he seemed to be struggling to get much power in it or to reach the extremes of his register but I’m very happy to admit that I was clearly wrong, he was on top form last night, having Alex to sing with really brought out the best in him. Their voices go so well together, they blend beautifully but also complement each other really well. Even visually it was the same, they each have their own idiosyncratic ways of moving about, which was enjoyable to watch, but the in-unison bouncing was equally fun. A kind of metaphor for the music (and as we all know, chicks dig metaphors).
The whole band definitely seemed to be enjoying themselves, gave an energetic and very polished performance (especially for a ‘new’ band on its first tour together) and I found it really thrilling. FFS are definitely more than the sum of their parts and the parts were pretty good to start with.
Love the CD (it has just occurred to me, after over 40 years, that Ron really is the Woody Allen of popular music), loved the gig, can’t wait for more!
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with what everyone else has said so far...from the heat to the FF fans who were a decent sort, if young (sigh), to the loony who nearly got banjoed several times before he was physically removed from that area...but not by security (skip over that incident) to Nick crowd surfing (he came perilously close to me...not a good move given my history of crowd surfers, only the late Lux Interior could testify to the fate of those who attempt to surf over me )...to the brilliance of the band and brilliant scarcely describes the gelling of two groups into FFS, this was an utter show and a half, and then some!!!.....Teleman were really good too, they announced they had a "compact disc" for sale unfortunately not at the Merchandise stall though, unless they had sold out. Note:- cheery merch stall guys...a smile and a quip for everyone despite the clamour.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veryoldfan wrote:
I have to confess that of late I’ve been thinking that Russell’s voice was maybe reaching the end of its shelf-life

Quite so, and I think that's what made last night's gig so much more enjoyable than most of the recent Sparks gigs I've seen.

Regrettably, it ain't 1974 for us or for Russell, and it's a biological fact that voices lower with age. Most singers adjust their setlist to take account of this or simply drop the key of their early material. This allows them to continue to give their fans what they want without struggling to hit notes that are simply beyond their range now. Elton John is a great example of this.

Since last night's gig consisted mainly of new material pitched to suit Russell's voice as it is now, he sounded absolutely fantastic, with none of the painful straining which completely ruined last year's Kimono My House 40th anniversary concerts - Equator in particular was painful to the point of embarrassment...

Sparks have such a rich back catalogue that they could easily fill a two-hour set with songs from all eras that suit Russell's current voice...
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae- Leading up to the Kimono gigs last December I can clearly remember Ron doing radio interviews on his own. It was rumoured that Russell had been a bit under the weather.Considering that he may have been unwell on the lead up to these 2 gigs and that it probably affected his voice-I thought he did a wonderful job on the 2 nights-especially the 2nd night when his voice seemed to be getting a little better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: