SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FFS at Troxy in London (June 29th 2015)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MarkRae]the painful straining which completely ruined last year's Kimono My House 40th anniversary concerts - Equator in particular was painful to the point of embarrassment...[/quote]

Said no one [except you], ever!

Russell's voice was remarkably improved on the second night.

I'm not suggesting his voice hasn't changed as he's got older, but 'completely ruined' and 'painful to the point of embarassment', come on, perspective, man!
veryoldfan
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
Teleman were really good too, they announced they had a "compact disc" for sale unfortunately not at the Merchandise stall though, unless they had sold out. Note:- cheery merch stall guys...a smile and a quip for everyone despite the clamour.

They did sell out, my mate Russell (yes I still go to Sparks gigs with Ron and Russell!) tried to buy one, apparently they underestimated demand and only brought 10.
One of the blokes on the merch stand was 'well hot' or whatever the current idiom is!
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:
MarkRae- Leading up to the Kimono gigs last December I can clearly remember Ron doing radio interviews on his own. It was rumoured that Russell had been a bit under the weather.Considering that he may have been unwell on the lead up to these 2 gigs and that it probably affected his voice-I thought he did a wonderful job on the 2 nights-especially the 2nd night when his voice seemed to be getting a little better.

Bang on Deano!
By the time I went to LA in February he was back on top form as I pointed out on here!
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Russell's voice was great! At Glasgow, the voice was operatic. Perhaps, having time to breathe, allowed the vibrato to excel. He sounded more pop in the Troxy, but it was an even more lively show, with more familiarity and more rapport.

Any attempt to distinguish between Franz Ferdinand fans and Sparks fans is appallingly counter to the spirit of the project. . A lower demographic, is how some of the Sparks diehards applauded the Franz Ferdinand fans. However, Sparks enjoy a W I D E demographic, and I've been harsh in berating anyone who tries to ascribe contrasting cliches. Its more a positively eccentric strength of musical insight that characterises Sparks fans, rather than age.

Indeed, there was one FFS reveller, who failed to gauge the sensitivities of the crowd, in sheer exuberance. Sparks concerts were not necessarily free from a bit over excitement that can go unpopular, and I can relate some stories. Protective of the more vulnerable in the audience, certain guys (and girls were), given the risk of the inconsiderate barraging. It was a certain well known superhero, prolific on this forum, who stopped the joker safely. Those who weren't there can guess who it was.
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Troxy show was indeed ( as stated by many already ) excellent - great to meet so many friends.

The venue was way too hot ( understand old buildings did not have a/c but no excuses in this day and age )

The bands certainly seem to be enjoying themselves - I thought the performance was more " together" than Glasgow but the bigger stage helped the performance ( the stage in Glasgow was too small )

Its usually Russell,Ron and Alex who grab the media attention / headlines but special mention should also go to Nick , Bob and Paul who are indeed "workhorses"

My day trip to London started with a 05.30 check in at Edinburgh airport - then spent most of Monday walking around London ( 8.31 miles according to my new Apple watch ) then the 23.50 overnight train back to Edinburgh with me back in my office at 9.30 Tuesday - phew !
Roll on Edinburgh and Glasgow.
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few final thoughts from my side ... for what they're worth, which might not be so much...

Monday's show was really great, one of the best I've ever been to, I was on a real high by the end. This whole FFS thing has been far better and more fun than I ever thought it would be.

They are clearly constantly working on the show and ending on CDW was a stroke of genius.

Although as a sparks fan of course I love My Way, I thought it didn't work so well in the context of FFS, and they would be better off to drop this one and (if they want to keep the FF / S balance) have a track such as "at home, at work at play" for example instead.

Of course tastes differ and for me "walk away" is pretty dull but many people there were loving it so you can't please everyone ;-)

I did notice that Call Girl is much stronger live, on the album I skip over it but I enjoyed it on Monday.

A lot of people are on a high and already asking for "FFS2", which I can very well understand, but I kind of still have a gut feeling it should be a one-off (as if my opinion mattered!). I have to say I'd already love another tour next year though, they are obviously getting better all the time as a live act, and hopefully I'd have more time to go to more than just one concert!!!

As for Russell's voice - well didn't his performance on Monday speak for itself really?!!! btw watching the publicity for FFS, R,R, and A must have been crossing time zones like ping pong. Easy to forget how knackering that can be.
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Star review in the Times. Behind a paywall, so here's a cut and paste

Rated to 5 stars
It’s the most intriguing marriage of the year: rock’s enduring eccentrics Sparks (Ron and Russell Mael, the Gilbert and George of rock) united with Glasgow’s funky indie-boys Franz Ferdinand in a kind of artpop supergroup. As a co-branded, stage-sharing experiment between two extant bands, it’s perhaps unique. The question at the east London venue Troxy (imagine an art-deco bingo hall) was, if you’ll forgive the obvious pun, whether this gig would be big enough for the both of them.
Arriving to the preposterously dramatic refrains of the Blake’s 7 theme — and to a rousing reception from a bemused, cross-generational crowd — they launched into the wry stomp of Johnny Delusional, balanced rather more towards Sparks’s chamber-glam than Franz’s angular indie.
With singers Alex Kapranos (FF; low croon), and Russell Mael (S; soaring semi-falsetto) bunched together as they pointed and bobbed along to the lyrics, the pair initially looked a potentially awkward set-up, each perhaps conscious not to tread on the other’s showmanship.
But the set-up loosened up, heated up and got downright more hilarious as the night went on, ultimately giving more bangs for the buck than either a standard FF gig or even one by Sparks. The less familiar new material ranged from the jittery synth-disco of So Desu Ne to the cheerful P*** Off and if it ever seemed in danger of becoming all a bit arty-smarty (as on their album), they would pull out a classic.
FF’s Do You Want To?, matching the glam-pomp of early Sparks, sounded fabulous, while a mid-set run ofThe Number One Song in Heaven, Michael and This Town Ain’t Big Enough for Both of Us pretty much blew the roof off.
During Number One Song..., the eternally eerie keyboardist Ron Mael — looking like a 1950s headmaster unhappily forced to play with the school band — finally arose, loosened his tie and suddenly busted out some ludicrous dad-dancing moves, a spectacle not commonly associated with producing crowd euphoria.
The bands’ intention with all this seems to be no more than an experiment in a meeting of minds. That they’re clearly having a ball in doing so was epitomised when guitarist Nick McCarthy crowd-surfed during the encore of Call Girl. As they ended with the self-mocking Collaborations Don’t Work (to shouts of “they do”), Russell Mael and Kapranos duetted: “Where is this damn thing going?/ Someone tell me.” It’s hard to know, but for now it’s tremendous fun.
Touring the UK in August
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troxy reviews:

The Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/ffs-the-troxy-review-franz-ferdinand-and-sparks-collaboration-is-undeniably-brilliant-10358398.html

Gigwise:

http://www.gigwise.com/reviews/101419/ffs-franz-ferdinand-sparks-troxy-london-review-photos-setlist

The Times:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/arts/music/livereviews/article4483976.ece
[only part of the review can be seen, unless you have a subscription]
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How freaking brilliant was that? I've seen Sparks 7 times now (not half as much as some veterans here, granted) and I normally can't choose a favourite, but now I would say this was definitely it.

It was one of those magical moments where everything fell into place - the venue's sound was amazing (where I was stood, at least), the lighting was fantastic, the backdrop was cool, the performances were astounding, the setlist was perfect, the new material is some of the best Sparks have ever done, FF and S blended together perfectly, and the crowd were absolutely superb.

Speaking of the crowd - how great was the bond between FF and S fans? Normally, I feel quite the young one at Sparks shows (I'm 26 and was 20 at my first Sparks gig), and while there are plenty of other young'uns at Sparks shows, the variety in ages on this night was brilliant. I was filled with joy to see a group of school kids dancing and singing along to the Sparks material with glee. I was also stood near a couple in FF t-shirts shouting 'We love you Ron!' etc. - Sparks have definitely won some new fans with this project. The atmosphere was fab, with people jumping, dancing and singing to all the songs immediately. Special apologies to the gent stood next to me who was reduced to laughter when he heard me trying to hit the notes in the 'policeman's wife' lyric in PE! I did notice the arse who tried to get a moshpit going during Do You Want To (fortunately he avoided us as we were stood directly in front of Ron), I didn't seem to notice him after that and presumed that the fact that nobody else was keen to play at his game dashed his hopes of getting others to behave that way.

It was extremely hot and I was drenched in sweat afterwards - but that's the sign of a top gig in my book. I'm on honeymoon during their UK dates in August so I hope they announce more shows soon (hopefully a full UK-leg? Wales please!).

Also - Russell's voice is a force of nature. His voice has aged like a fine wine. Not only can he hit notes recorded over 40 years ago (come on - FORTY YEARS), but he can do more and more with his voice as each year goes by, like his vox on The Power Couple and his spoken dialogue on songs like Ugly Guys and Very Next Fight. His spoken delivery is as good as his singing, which is saying something! I strongly believe that musicians never finish learning to play their instruments, and likewise singers never finish learning how to sing. I prefer Russell's voice on FFS to Kimono My House.

I freaking love Sparks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: