SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

America doesn't deserve FFS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: America doesn't deserve FFS Reply with quote

Over at the Steve Hoffman forum a member posted that he "[w]ent to see Kraftwerk on Friday and a guy was giving away free tickets to see FFS on Saturday. When I asked why he was giving them away he told me the show was far from selling out. He had 500 to hand out and they could make more from the bar if they get people to come."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/franz-ferdinand-sparks-working-on-joint-album.342740/page-5

The lads from Sparks and Franz Ferdinand put out the best album of the year. Yet the club has to give away tickets to ensure a large audience.
mikec518

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: philly concert Reply with quote

I was going to go but weather was lousy! Heavy rain with flooding. Will go to NYC show!
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: America doesn't deserve FFS Reply with quote

DJ LX wrote:
Over at the Steve Hoffman forum a member posted that he "[w]ent to see Kraftwerk on Friday and a guy was giving away free tickets to see FFS on Saturday. When I asked why he was giving them away he told me the show was far from selling out. He had 500 to hand out and they could make more from the bar if they get people to come."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/franz-ferdinand-sparks-working-on-joint-album.342740/page-5

The lads from Sparks and Franz Ferdinand put out the best album of the year. Yet the club has to give away tickets to ensure a large audience.

DJ Lx - i know where you are coming from. It can be frustrating. But perhaps I can give you a little reassurance. I was at the show. I talked with a couple of the guys behind the merch counter. They said they had given away about 200 tix. They also noted that there's no way of knowing if any of those folks come or not.

More to the point, the place was packed. I would estimate at least 1200 people there. The entire crowd was enthusiastic and into the show from the first note to the last (and why not, it was tremendous). It was a great night, and the audience absolutely loved the show. The crowd probably - and understandably - probably skewed toward the FF part of FFS, but nonetheless there were PLENTY of Sparks fanatics and songs by BOTH bands were very, very well received. And again, why not? I've never quite seen TTABEFBOU rock out quite like this, and Number One In Heaven and My Way were both excellently done as well.

So all in all, I'd say this: when I heard about a week ago tht they had a contest for folks to win tickets, I took it as a bad sign. But whatever they did to get people there worked, and the crowd absolutely loved the show.

So there you go. No, it's not the 20,000 fans enjoying the festivals of Europe...but the show made a LOT of people VERY happy!

Off to see them again in DC tonight!

MrM
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It' good to know that the place was packed and the crowd was amped (how could they not be?) And the show was a resounding success (how could it not be?).

Hopefully, this will convince Sparks and/or Sparks with Franz Ferdinand to consider playing more shows in America in the future.

The closest to Madison the FFS tour is coming is this Thursday night in Chicago. Had it been a Saturday I'd be there. But a Thursday is out of the question at present with both my and my wife's busy work schedules. FFS are also playing Minneapolis, Friday. I gave a heads up to a friend who lives there, so at least he'll be able the enjoy the show.

Last edited by DJ LX on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
RonBaker2003
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the potential audience might not have known who was playing just by seeing F. F. S on the marquee. They should use Franz . Ferdinand . Sparks until they are better known. Both groups are popular on their own and can sell out shows. I was at the Philly show. They were totally incredible. I only wish I could see them again! I drove 550 miles one way to get there.
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonBaker2003 wrote:
I think that the potential audience might not have known who was playing just by seeing F. F. S on the marquee. They should use Franz . Ferdinand . Sparks until they are better known. Both groups are popular on their own and can sell out shows.

You've got a good point. We're familiar with FFS here because we've been spinning the disc regularly for months now, and take a keen interest in anything Sparks. But for folks who aren't quite at that level of fandom, a marquee with the names spelled out might do the trick.
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonBaker2003 wrote:
I think that the potential audience might not have known who was playing just by seeing F. F. S on the marquee. They should use Franz . Ferdinand . Sparks until they are better known. Both groups are popular on their own and can sell out shows. I was at the Philly show. They were totally incredible. I only wish I could see them again! I drove 550 miles one way to get there.

That's a good idea. It could help.

FWIW, I saw them again here in DC two nights ago at a very nice, small theater. Though I prefer standing for shows like this, the crowd was on its feet the whole time so it was ok. A lot of enthusiasm (and especially when they did an FF number, but that's ok). Place holds 1200, probably about a thousand there. Needless to say, another great show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: