SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WOW!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: WOW! Reply with quote

For those of you who could not make tonight, make sure you see this show somewhere,awesome! Roll on Frankfurt but I think I may be going to Birmingham or Manchester as well.

SPARKS FANS REJOICE!
Clay_C.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I have to beg for a set list? If anyone is afraid of posting "spoilers", feel free to send it privately. Ron Playing
cygnenoir
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More details please, please, please!

In the meantime, I found this review:
http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/sparks-bush-hall

Sparks, Bush Hall
Mael bonding as America's quirkiest pop siblings return with a twist

by Bruce Dessau
Thursday, 14 June 2012

It is always easy to remember the first time. November 11th, 1974, Hammersmith Odeon. Sparks. I cannot recall the exact seat where I was sitting when I lost my rock and roll virginity, but it was the second stalls block on the left and the seasoned gig-goer on my right tipped me off that you can tell when a band is going to do an encore because the roadies leave the amps turned on. Look out for the red light. Sure enough, Ron and Russell Mael returned to do their biggest hit to date, "This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us".

Nearly four decades on they were back in West London last night with their latest show, Two Hands, One Mouth. This time the brothers Mael have dispensed with a band and gone duo. The idea behind the concept is that they wanted to deconstruct their back catalogue, but it cannot have escaped their notice that this is also surely a more financially sound way to tour in these straightened times. This was their debut public performance in this format, but a UK tour is already scheduled for this autumn and judging by their debut double act outing it will be an unalloyed treat.

Sparks was always an intriguing, idiosyncratic, culturally literate outfit, formed by two American siblings who could not have appeared more different. The Chaplin-tached, nightmare-prompting Ron sat impassively at the keyboards, while tousle-haired Russell leapt around like a loon. At Bush Hall, apart from one glorious showstopping moment from Ron that was part-Running Man, part-David Brent, they stuck rigidly to their roles. They seemed pretty ageless too. Ron always looked in his sixties, which, handily, is what he is now.

The music was pretty timeless too. Although there was no band to beef up the sound this was definitely not Sparks Unplugged. The career-spanning gig opened with an instrumental greatest hits overture from Ron to cheers of “Ron! Ron! Ron!” and once Russell joined in one barely noticed the absence of other musicians on tracks such as the swooping, sweeping "Under the Table with Her" and the dark yet Disneyish "Hospitality on Parade". Their songs often feel like pocket-sized pop epics, taking Queen's pomposity and shrinking it down to palatable proportions. Russell – thankfully – is no Freddie Mercury but his fabled falsetto on the likes of vintage numbers "Looks, Looks, Looks" and "Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth" must have had W12’s canine population wondering what was going on.
cygnenoir
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I missed the second page of the above. Sorry!)

In fact it was only on the iconic "This Town Ain't Big Enough..." that one missed the band when the buzzing guitar motif failed to materialise. Elsewhere, such as during excerpts from the bands comically pretentious mini-opera "The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman", the sparseness and simplicity of the arrangements worked in their favour. This seemed a lot less like an option borne out of financial prudence and more like a canny reinvention.

After nearly ninety minutes the encore – I couldn't see the amps for the crowd this time, but I'm sure they stayed alight – underlined how pioneering the band was. "Number One Song in Heaven" and a gutsy, energetic “Beat The Clock” reminded fans of their distant disco past when they collaborated with Giorgio Moroder. With Ron expressionless at the keys and Russell singing, suddenly the Pet Shop Boys, who emerged half a decade later, did not seem quite as groundbreakingly original.

It has been a poignant time for pop recently with the deaths in quick succession of Bee Gee Robin Gibb and dance music legend Donna Summer. But this triumphant gig demonstrated that another musical family is still going strong and that Giorgio Moroder's disco legacy lives on in these wonderfully eclectic, gloriously oddball Maels.

Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fantastic evening.
iloverussell
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thoroughly enjoyed last night, what an amazing show!! Soo thankfull for an excellent outstanding performance!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tmb
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what was the new song on loop before the Concert started?

And a live version of "The Wedding Of Jacqueline Kennedy To Russell Mael"

Wunderbar!
tmb
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Murray wrote:
A fantastic evening.

Was I the only one feeling the room was spinning with all those lights - I actually had to close my eyes worried I was about to faint...most be getting too old!!
rwolf'68
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic review.........
thanks people, feel as if I got a glimpse of the show
scarf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Amazing night!! Reply with quote

Amazing night!!
They keep on entertaining, challenging and enchanting us all at the same time.
A night to savour and remember with delight.
Roll on October!!
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great show, with a great mix of songs, all of which worked well without a full band. I never thought I'd hear 'The Wedding Of...' live! Like tmb, I'd like to know more about what was playing before the gig started.
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cygnenoir wrote:
but it cannot have escaped their notice that this is also surely a more financially sound way to tour in these straightened times

That'll be straightened as in the well known band Dire Straights then (sigh) .... Why can't journalists learn to write English...
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay_C. wrote:
Do I have to beg for a set list? If anyone is afraid of posting "spoilers", feel free to send it privately. Ron Playing

Mods can delete, but in no particular order and by no means complete !

Metaphor

Hospitality on Parade

Propaganda

At Home At Work At Play

Sherlock Holmes

Under the tabe with her

Dick Around

The Rhythm Thief

This Town

Looks,looks, looks

In the future

Something for the girl with Everything

Never turn your back on mother earth

Suburban Homeboy

The spoken intro to TSOIB,

Mr Bergman how are you

We've got to turn him round

Bergman's home

When do I get to sing my way

No 1 song in heaven

Beat the Clock

I Married myself

What a beautiful and intimate venue it was as well. Even though it was a standing gig, there was no pushing or crowding so kudos to the well behaved fans there.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmb wrote:
Just bumping this...hopefully someone can enlighten us...where I was we were all straining our ears trying to place/discern it....even as it got louder on each loop so did the crowd....so glad there are more of us so curious.
chilefarmfarney
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Set List Reply with quote

It was an absolutely brilliant performance, I wasn't sure if they could pull it off but I shouldn't have doubted them. The pacing of the concert was spot on and there was never a lull, it just kept getting better and better. The fantasctic fans made for a great atmosphere and it looked like R & R enjoyed themselves as much as we did.

I think this is the full set list below, but corrections are welcome:-

Metaphor

Hospitality on Parade

Propaganda

At Home At Work At Play

Sherlock Holmes

In the future

Under the table with her

Perfume

My Baby’s Taking Me Home

Good Morning

The Wedding of Jacqueline Kennedy to Russell Mael

I am Ingmar Bergman,

Mr Bergman how are you

We've got to turn him ‘round

He’s home

Something for the girl with Everything

Dick Around

Looks,Looks, Looks

Never turn your back on mother earth

This Town

The Rhythm Thief

Suburban Homeboy

Grat Sax

When do I get to sing my way

No 1 song in heaven

Beat the Clock

I Married myself
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
tmb wrote:
Just bumping this...hopefully someone can enlighten us...where I was we were all straining our ears trying to place/discern it....even as it got louder on each loop so did the crowd....so glad there are more of us so curious.

Nothing I've ever heard before and could definitely hear the line 'so you say that you're a military man'
lemonjellydude
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being my first ever at a Sparks Gig I had a lot of high expectations and I was in NO way dissapointed!
The set-list for me was near Perfect, of course theres always going to be a fan favourite that they wont sing but thats always going to be the case!
Indiscreet was very well covered and being my favourite sparks album was a massive treat to hear 'under the table with her'.
The Mael Brothers were every bit as entertaining as I expected and was memerized by Ron's blank experssion and the dance!.
was great to see some familar faces amongst the crowds as well.
Although unlikely I think 'Music That You Can Dance To' would fit perfectly in the Disco section(No.1 Song & Beat The Clock').
Also really liked the arrangement's of the disco section expecially no.1 song.
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell did look a little warm!
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Set List (to add to all the rest)

Ron's Overture
Metaphor (2006)
Hospitality on Parade (1976)
Propaganda / At Home at Work at Play (1974)
Sherlock Holmes (1982)
In the Future (1976)
Under the Table with Her (1975)
Perfume (2006)
My Baby's Taking Me Home (2002)
Good Morning (2008)
Marriage of Jackie Kennedy to Russell Mael (1975)
I Am Ingmar Bergman (2009)
Mr Bergman, How Are You (2009)
We've Got to Turn Him Round (2009)
He's Home (2009)
Something for the Girl with Everything (1974)
Dick Around (2006)
Looks Looks Looks (1975)
Never Turn your Back on Mother Earth (1974)
This Town Aint big enough for Both of Us (1973)
The Rhythm Thief (2002)
Suburban Homeboy (2002)
Gratuitous Sax / When Do I get to Sing My Way (1994)
ENCORE
No 1 Song in Heaven (1979)
Beat the Clock (1979)
I Married Myself (2002)

The song on loop was "Two Hands One Mouth" - "two hands, one mouth, are all I need to satisy you" etc

The gig was great. Russel's vocals are tremendous (and his dancing in Beat the Clock pretty impressive too!!)

I assume it was a dry run for the autumn, so in case anyone is looking a few small feedbacks from my side!

- When Do I get to Sing doesn't work with just those slabby chords / octaves underneath, it needs a proper arrangement with some fingering
- In Beat the Clock I could hardly hear the notes in the instrumental bit, I think someone who didn't know the notes would not have noticed them and only heard the rhythm track
- I thought there was too much "instrumental only" in No 1 Song, should cut one of those breaks out

On the tracks, I think some more melodic work such as "Those Mysteries", It's Kinda Like The Movies", or (dare I mention it again) "Dancing is Dangerous, I Ought to Know" would break up the set better than say "Rhythm Thief", "Dick Around", "Perfume" or "Hospitality on Parade" (much as I personally love those songs), especially for non-fans. Sherlock Holmes worked well I thought btw.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great night Suburban Homeboy stole the show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: