SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for those who were at the Oxford gig 23.05.23

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarvais
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Question for those who were at the Oxford gig 23.05.23 Reply with quote

Last Tuesday was my first Sparks concert, I loved it of course! However, something puzzled me. Bit of background, I'm not british, I just live here, I'm mainland european. All the gigs I went to in the UK weren't sit down ones, nearly all of them standing only. When I bought the tickets for Oxford I saw it was all seats, but thought nothing of it, as I assumed everybody would be on their feet as soon as the Maels came on stage. At the very least in the stalls, where my tickets were for. But... everybody stayed seated??? Until the bit before the encore and encore??? Is that a normal UK thing to do? I was at a complet loss to gage if it was a successful gig, if the crowd was enthusiastic etc, because to me the audience barely cleared the bar of visibly liking the performers... I'd be happy if somebody could tell me if was an opening night of tour worthy of the occasion!
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Oxford gig in the Circle. I could see the front few rows of the Stalls below me and saw a woman in the front left get up to dance, a few songs in, and was immediately approached by security staff and asked to sit down again. It's only when so many people stand up to dance that the security realise their efforts are futile. I assume security staff are told to keep people seated, so that people sitting in rows behind can still see the band. For audience in the circle and above, it may be for safety reasons; you don't want people falling down steps or off the balcony! I expect it will be the same in other theatre style venues.

I'm seeing Sparks at the Albert Hall on Tuesday too. I am in the Arena section, which I think is all standing, so will be able to dance unhindered by security staff!
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was like someone flicked a switch in Manchester on Saturday during music that you can dance to, everyone up and joining in. Sat in the RAH now, hope it goes off earlier ! Got a feeling it might
jarvais
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, the security explanation makes a lot of sense, thank you.
I'm very jealous of both of you, as there are only unaffordable (to me) tickets left for the RAH. Since I didn't know what to expect I didn't get tickets for more than one concert when they went on sale, how I regret it now!
Wishing both you the best of evenings, dance your hearts out if possible!
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same again tonight, MTYCDT lit the flame. It’s like goofing off on steroids.

Utterly fantastic
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have minded at all if everyone got on their feet earlier in the shows, although the security staff presumably would.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: