SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CampaignToBringHippopotamusTour_toU.S.Midwest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETJOHNS
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: CampaignToBringHippopotamusTour_toU.S.Midwest Reply with quote

I had a thread earlier last year, regarding probability for the band to make at least one U.S. Midwest show, within reasonable traveling distance/ flying budget for large share of their American fans. I really wanted to fly out to L.A. for the shows out there, but alas that did not happen for me (on course to be one of biggest regrets of my life), and I'm guessing many others. It seems that most on this forum are Brits & European fans, with some regular Americans (i.e. Buckeye Randy).

However, I really want to make an all-out drive to lobby the full Sparks band to add a leg of extended Hippopotamus tour stops in U.S. I understand what with equipment and logistics, one date may not be a choice for economic and motivational reasons. However, two or more dates at one location, possibly combined with a few other stops within reasonable tour bus/trailer vicinity I am hoping would be something Ron and Russell would look at.

I am not sure the buzz on the new album, or what sales have been in the U.S. I have to think that there are quite a few people starting at my age and up (49+) that were fans of the band in their youth, and have no clue that they are still out there, vibrant as ever and releasing new material. I for one have tried to spread the joy of the band in my inner circle, including at work with some twenty-somethings, one who genuinely enjoyed listening to them. So I have to believe that a breakthrough in fans for the band, both old and new, is truly possible. We are now on downward curve of album release and publicity, but nonetheless not too late to promote it with a tour ([i]as and aside, another band I follow is in a similar situation, albeit with a larger U.S. following, but historically in geographical pockets which prevented them from making tour stops at many locations. With excellent tour management and sincere willingness on their part, they recently completed a mini 9-date Southeast and Midwest tour, hitting places they hadn't been to in 20+ years, with very positive turnout of old and new fans alike. Likewise for them, this mini-tour was in support of an album that had been out for awhile (yar-and-half), and also supported by an initial tour and this one being 2nd round.). So the energy from the Hippopotamus album is still there, I am sure, from the band and fans.

So, yes I am looking for fans willing to put their money where their mouth is, to support at least one Midwest date (i.e. Chicago or Columbus, OH or other). I am reaching out to Ron, Russell, the band's management to see if we can create a vehicle (campaign) to put $40-$50 up front to support a date. Please submit your interest and thoughts here.

***02 Mar 2018- UPDATE. I have to say, now with 50+ people who have come to this post, that I am pretty discouraged by no response or even fredback to my proposal. From this I have to assume the majority of you are on the other side of the world, and any of the U.S. fans on here already took a flight out to either coast last year....

So, please do not hesitate to even offer feedback/suggestions for my problem, but I believe will have to take my 'pitch' to other forums (i.e. Facebook fan groups, anybody know of any other ones? ). I can get a petition/campaign started. I just need to know how to reach the most fans for success. Thank you, everyone!
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope Sparks are able to bring a fantastic show to a venue near you! Ron Playing
MALE SKRAPS
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ET.
Could a proposal be to have SPARKS as a “support” guest/act/band for a Major artist (not that SPARKS are not major group in their own right) who is on a stadium tour. This would satisfy all SPARKS fans and would put SPARKS music out there to a younger audience, in their thousands, who might appreciate SPARKS music and generate more sales and a bigger following. I think this would work in the US and Europe.
The sets may be smaller, which I am sure Ron and Russ would appreciate, but would get there music out there to be appreciated, which it is all about for the Mael bros.
Ps. I have friends in Columbus Ohio, so would look forward to catching up with them whilst taking in a SPARKS concert also. Good luck with your quest.
ETJOHNS
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MALE SKRAPS, I wasnt getting much response here so I took myself over to the Sparks fan group on Facebook, joined the group and put it out there. I've been getting really positive feedback thru that forum. Well, as touring with other bands I'm not their tour manager and nah, not really in favor though if that were my only option to see them, would likely do it. They are already exploring that avenue opening a big show for Beck in the U.K. later this year. I figure the logistics are pretty much already in place, as their backup band are already on a tear with them, they themselves are based out of other American bands (3 of them from West Coast Mini Mansions). So hopefully while bringing their kit back across the Pond, they would be able to set up some road crew and tour bus/trailer to make a few stops happen.
admiralhalfnelson
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Sparks doing a support gig would be the musical compatability with the headliner. You wouldn't want Ron Playing booed off stage by impatient fans waiting for the headliner, would you?

You'd think it'd be easy with the boys having done pretty much every genre under the sun and then some, but it's not. Very few bands are as eclectic as they are, and even fewer come close sonically. The Beck thing caused a minor controversy on this forum for this very reason.

Mind you, they opened for Rick Springfield in 1983...

~23/5/18~

https://discord.gg/Hruaj6D ~ Sparks Discord
ETJOHNS
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, everyone, good discussion, but what the purpose of this thread is to generate/ gauge interest in fans really from anywhere that would be willing to come in for a Midwest (Chicago,, Detroit, Columbus OH, Indianapolis, even Cleveland) or mid Canada (i.e. Toronto) show. Please respond wth your interest and spread the word by any means possible. Thanks!
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please! I would love to be able to see Sparks. I live in Ohio, but could easily venture to the previously mentioned cities for the most amazing band in the world!
alicetaylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: NICE Reply with quote

I would like more information about this, because it is very nice., Thanks for sharing.

basketball legends
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: