SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glasgow March 24th !!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given up, in the bar too now
Careless Man
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic performance as always, new band sound really good, the new material was excellent and the content of the set just right. Does not seem like 43 years have passed since the first time I saw them in the Odeon in Edinburgh at £1.50 a ticket!!

How on earth were Goldfrapp the main act, they should have been supporting Sparks not the other way round, we left after the fourth song, thought they were awful.

Well done to the lead singer of Future Islands, that was some performance!!
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a way to end it with a stunning guitar fuelled powerful rendition of Amateur Hour.Good to see My Baby's in there and Missionary Position came over great as did Edith Piaf.Shame it was not a room full of Sparks fans but that's the nature of sharing a billing with 3 bands.Ron does his Ali shuffle on No1 in Heaven and sits down and you could have placed a lit candle in front of his mouth and the flame would have stayed rigidly still-respect to the athlete in the squad.Ordered some Hippo LPs from the Sparks store and as always will patiently wait until the postman knocks with those plastic letters.
deadcalm
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set. "Edith Piaf" i really like. possibly my fav so far off the the new album... Agree My Baby's taking me home seemed to lack the big power finish compared to the Lil Beethoven tour. The Mini Mansions guys were well up for it as well. Looking good for the tour later in the year.
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks were like the gorgeous filling stuffed between 2 slices of stale bread.
Future Islands were incomprehensible, I think partly due to the poor sound balance and acoustics, the keyboard player seemed ok, the drummer gave it plenty of welly but little finesse (no Steve Nistor that's for sure), the guitarist just stood and strummed, but at least the singer was quite amusing to watch.
Only one word for Goldfrapp, BORING!! Back-lit with flashing lights (no warning for epileptics), zilch stage presence, can't sing, I can't even be sure she was actually singing due to the lighting, each song exactly the same as the last one, how were they headliners? Actually I'm glad they were as I wouldn't have wanted to sit through them waiting for our boys.
At work at rest at play kicked off a fine set. A rousing version of amateur hour closed what had been mostly a great time. The new songs sound good fun, agree hippo is not a single, fans will get the silliness but others will just shrug their shoulders. Uber fast dick around doesn't work but that was the only blip for me. But at least there was no seduction, thanks for that, lads. Ron's shuffle was a usual highlight but while Russell gave a fab performance and was in fine voice, I just thought he has slowed down just a tad? Plenty of jigging but no skipping. Still both looking good though.
The band are rowdy and fun, just right, and all decked out in matching striped French in onion seller tops that complemented Russell's top which was teamed with a dark scarf and trousers and lighter blue jacket, Ron in usual accountant attire.
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know when the next Scottish gig Russell mentioned is taking place ?
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said something like at the end of summer which would chime with the album release date
miss sparks
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the gig via my computer. Great performance and loved the new songs. Looking forward to September album release.
lilywearsmoschino
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks were fantastic and what a treat to hear 4 new songs. I loved them, great taster for the forthcoming album release. Russell's onstage energy is still mighty impressive, Ron did the Ron dance, and the new band were excellent. The 1 hour set just flew by.

As for the gig itself, Future Islands were bonkers but entertaining to watch. Much of the lead singer's vocal didn't reach the balcony and couldn't make out what he was singing. Best dancing ever though!!

Goldfrapp on any other night might have been good, but by the time she came onstage I was just wanting more Sparks and was a bit weary and feeling the effects of a long, busy, exciting day. Her set went on forever and maybe just me, but I felt she didn't engage too much with the audience. The strobe lights during EVERY song were making my eyes hurt. Maybe I'm just getting old!!

I watched some of it again today on the red button. Great to rewatch and hear the new songs again.

Fab to see some of the Sparks pals - June, Ally, Rickmaniac and hubby, Simon, Bobby, Connor, Alex. To those of you who visited Glasgow for the first time, hope you enjoyed it and come back again soon.
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it was a great night - shame I missed it! I've watched the start of the gig online, and the band sounded in fine form, with the usual good choice of songs. No substitute for being there, though!
TommyGun
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the full Show here:
https://youtu.be/DnkKMqO_e9k
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched this again after being at the concert and can't believe how good and fresh they sound.

The new material is awesome, in particular The Missionary Position which is a natural single in my opinion. It sounds like it could have been lifted straight from Indiscreet and shows that Ron and Russell are light years ahead of everyone.

Great to see them going back to the two guitars to create that unique Sparks sound which many have tried and failed to copy.

When are these guys going to get the recognition they truly deserve?

In the meantime, I am privileged to be one of "the few" who actually understand how good they are, long may it continue!!!
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky Rickmaniac wrote:
At work at rest at play kicked off a fine set.

You've been having too many Mars bars!
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was bounty happen.
I can be a bit of a flake sometimes.
You can all stop the snickers at the back now.
Kermit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinky wrote:
Dick Around and MBTMH are concert duds unfortunately. Didn't look as though much of the audience were involved for a lot of the time either.

Suburban homeboy is the perfect show finisher guys.

I have to disagree with you Sparky R. You haven't been going to the same Sparks shows ever in town that I've been going to. Dick Around and My Baby are probably two of the most popular songs that should have been hits but yet still go down a storm when I am at any a Sparks gig. Festivals bring fans from all other acts that might not be so familiar with the tunes too. DA really needs to be played in the full version though to really get it. You would never have heard Queen just do the slow intro to Bohemian Rhapsody then stop. It just ain't kosher. My Baby in a live set works so much better when Russ has his stand of various microphones to enhance the viewers appreciation of the repeated lines. Watching on tv, the last thrash into the guitar rock section just wasn't loud enough to make the full impact it should have. A few missed opportunities there in my opinion.
In regards to an outro, Bon Voyage is surely the perfect ever ending to a show to leave with a singalong. It's such a powerful, amazing song that just never gets enough attention at a Sparks show usually due to having to play This Town for the encore. You can never please everyone though and if you did it really would be a boring world. And I am a Suburban homeboy, at least I was until I moved to London.
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me you were disagreeing with, Kermit!
I agree that Dick Around and My Baby are fine gig songs but only if done properly. DA at breakneck speed and MBTMH without the big flourish doesn't cut it IMHO.
TommyGun
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they Kind of messed Up dick around, i guess a little more rehearsal should so the trick..

However in the recording both Songs suffered from the Mix, the guitars and also the backing vocals(which were marvellous by the way) have to be way louder.

Personally i think its awesome they Play These Songs absolutely live without playbacks
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say no to dullards like Sheeran and yes to Sparks-end of.
aussie
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just watched it, and what a great show

I think people have to remember Russell is no spring chicken, I saw sparks 41 years ago at the Liverpool empire, that also was a great show

I HAVE WON LOTTO
Kermit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky Rickmaniac wrote:
Not me you were disagreeing with, Kermit!
I agree that Dick Around and My Baby are fine gig songs but only if done properly. DA at breakneck speed and MBTMH without the big flourish doesn't cut it IMHO.

I do apologise Sparky, I did mean Dinky who had written the message. Call it a senior moment......lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: