SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changes to the Single Charts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miss sparks
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Changes to the Single Charts Reply with quote

Just read this in the Sun newspaper today. I hope it's true.

Chart bosses have introduced changes to prevent superstars like Ed Sheeran from dominating the top 40 again.
From next week artists will be allowed only 3 songs in the single charts at any one time. The clampdown comes after all 16 tracks from Ed Sheeran's album charted on it's release in March, at one point nine of his songs were in the top ten.
The feat was achieved due to streaming of single sales.
Official charts company executive said the move would support new music. He added, this is not a chart for album tracks, we want to remain the official chart for singles.
allydodd
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds hopeful. I can't quite keep abreast with how charts are compiled. My main hate ia the way customers can cherry pick tracks when downloading - the best bands craft albums as artworks. Respect for Ed Sheeran though being so successful.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a song should only qualify to be in the singles chart if the track is available as a physical single (as well as a download and via streaming).
deadcalm
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah . there is a diff between the "most listened" to track and the "most sales" ....

Its all got blurry.. think they were trying to combine both which makes it a bit messy.
Buckeye Randy
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes to the Single Charts Reply with quote

miss sparks wrote:
The clampdown comes after all 16 tracks from Ed Sheeran's album charted on it's release in March, at one point nine of his songs were in the top ten.

The bad thing is that statistics are how most people compare different eras. If a guy is writing an article about 'best ever', it's much easier to write an article using statistics rather than doing 'real' research. These are the articles that form people's opinions. This is true especially in music and sports.

I suppose 50 years from now Ed Sheeran will be more celebrated than The Beatles just as in baseball Barry Bonds will be more celebrated than Babe Ruth. Statistics will back it up.

I could keep on rambling about people relying on analytics to arrive at decisions. Bottom line, the output is only as good as the input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Stuff and Nonsense All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: